Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Clear Coat Issue - Rally Yellow 2SS/RS

I picked up my 2SS/RS almost a month ago. It is Rally Yellow with black stripes. A day after I got it home, I put the first coat of wax on it and found a run in the clear coat at the bottom of the driver's side door. I was VERY disappointed to see that. In looking at the passenger door I found a smaller but similar defect. These both fall into the category of "things only I will notice". An on-looker would likely never see them. It still drives me absolutely nuts to think that this would not have been caught at the plant or the dealer. The first time I hit it with a cloth I saw it. If I would have seen it at delivery I wouldn't have taken the car. I'm kind of picky. This car is my play car and may see 2000 miles per year.

I took it back to the dealer and the options are not good. It can be wet sanded with 2000 grit and rubbed, but cannot be fully removed without going through the clear coat. That would then require color and more clear coat. The painter at the dealer did not like the idea of repainting the door. I told him I didn't like it either. The painter said sanding and rubbing would make it better.

So, what to do? I'm thinking of leaving it alone and just stewing about it. Thoughts welcome from any of you paint shop guys out there.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Leave it alone and don't worry about it.

Just add's flavor and it's minor.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Ask Steve in the wash and wax section from tropic care. He's a pro detailer he can give u solid advice. U have options but for now i would leave it alone and chew on it for a while.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
mine has a run near the bottom of the passanger door

these are cars , nothing to get all OCD about, the quality control of the 1st gen camaro was alot worse I bet
Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
Sometimes vehicles get minor damaged when they're transported and the dealer's body shop repairs it. I think that they can repaint up to 3 panels and still sell it as new. don't quote me on that though.

I'm not saying that’s what happened, just a possibility.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
wet sanding it shouldn't require more paint and clear to be put on. It should only even out the clear coat and then be buffed to factory shine.
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote