Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Factory "catch-can"?

You can tell it's really not a catch can, not like the after-market ones....but I was pleased to see this attempt at preventing atomized oil from being sucked right into the LSA....

I only had a short moment to poke around the engine bay today...tomorrow or Tuesday I hope to get a closer look...maybe it can be emptied? What's inside? etc...
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Is there anything in the manual about servicing it? Maybe that's a one-way check valvd of something if not. I gad a catch can and TWO oil seperatoes on my '02 and it used a lot of oil for being a bolt-on car with a converter. I had no detonation problems after sdding them though. This is going to be an area I'll be looking into, too.

Thanks for the pics'!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Is there anything in the manual about servicing it? Maybe that's a one-way check valvd of something if not. I gad a catch can and TWO oil seperatoes on my '02 and it used a lot of oil for being a bolt-on car with a converter. I had no detonation problems after sdding them though. This is going to be an area I'll be looking into, too.

Thanks for the pics'!!!
At first, I thought all it was was a check-valve....but then I noticed that it extends past where it connects to the intake tube by about 4 inches (can't see this very well in the pictures).
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
99firehawk
Order in on 13' ZL1 vert

Drives: 1999 Firehawk Convertible
I have a Magnuson TVS 2300 on my Magnum and that looks like the supplied oil separator that came with the Maggie kit. It used the same tee dual-PCV hose feeds into a smallish black round collector.

I already had a larger catch can and used that. If indeed this is the same or similar unit, you don't need to empty it as the bottom of the collector had a hose that fed somewhere (can't recall but will get my install doc and look).
99firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99firehawk View Post
I have a Magnuson TVS 2300 on my Magnum and that looks like the supplied oil separator that came with the Maggie kit. It used the same tee dual-PCV hose feeds into a smallish black round collector.

I already had a larger catch can and used that. If indeed this is the same or similar unit, you don't need to empty it as the bottom of the collector had a hose that fed somewhere (can't recall but will get my install doc and look).
If it goes back into the intake somewhere, that's just a waste, lol. I can't see it doing anything else because of hydrocarbons. I'm very interested to see though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If it's going to the valve covers, wouldn't that be the clean air in side of the PCV?

An actual catch can would need to be connected between the valley and intake. This piece looks like it just deals with the fresh air going in the valve covers.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
If it's going to the valve covers, wouldn't that be the clean air in side of the PCV?

An actual catch can would need to be connected between the valley and intake. This piece looks like it just deals with the fresh air going in the valve covers.
There is a line going from the valley cover to a vacuum port aft of the throttle-body.

I checked it out closer today - it's definitely not a "catch-can" as we know them...you can't open it, and there's no drain...but at the same time - I don't think this is just a supply of fresh air. I could be wrong....
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

I agree that it couod be a check valve or regulaor for crankcase pressure while under boost. Since it's pulled back into the throttlebody, it's probably not a true catch can unfortunately. That's what the aftermarket is for
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
It is a checkvalve to work with the boost. It does help slightly and this is a good move....but it needs to be taken alot further.

The little unit that comes with some of the maggies now is a home air compressor separator and lets a ton of oil past, but the worst part is they have it set up to return the trapped oil full of damaging contaminates back to the crankcase......very bad over time. The oil caught in any oil separating device is so contaminated with the harmfull combustion byproducts you absolutely NEVER want them returned back to the crankcase.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
It is a checkvalve to work with the boost. It does help slightly and this is a good move....but it needs to be taken alot further.

The little unit that comes with some of the maggies now is a home air compressor separator and lets a ton of oil past, but the worst part is they have it set up to return the trapped oil full of damaging contaminates back to the crankcase......very bad over time. The oil caught in any oil separating device is so contaminated with the harmfull combustion byproducts you absolutely NEVER want them returned back to the crankcase.
It definately sounds like a separator or catch can (or both) is the way to go to keep the system clean and motor healthy.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
There is a line going from the valley cover to a vacuum port aft of the throttle-body.

I checked it out closer today - it's definitely not a "catch-can" as we know them...you can't open it, and there's no drain...but at the same time - I don't think this is just a supply of fresh air. I could be wrong....
Yes, that's the fresh air supply for the crankcase. Air comes in the valve covers (filtered air from the intake tube) to replace the crankcase vapors going out the valley to the intake vaccum port.

That device must have something to do with the different conditions the PCV sees under boost.

You could put a catch can in there in the traditional spot of between the valley outlet and intake vaccum port.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
SC2150
Account Suspended

Russel is correct on all aspects of how this system works.

The downside to this configuration is if you begin to mod the car then the valey cover fixed orfice becomes too restrictive to vent properly, but it is a MUCH better set-up than the LS3. With the air entering both valve covers and flushing to the valley cover the entire crankcase/valvetrain gets flushed and the damaging compounds removed. The Cadillac CTSV uses the same configuration. This is GM's best solution to date IMHO.

A catchcan is STILL critical on this or you will see the intercooler looking like the pictures I have posted and you surely dont want any detonation with FI.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Yes, that's the fresh air supply for the crankcase. Air comes in the valve covers (filtered air from the intake tube) to replace the crankcase vapors going out the valley to the intake vaccum port.

That device must have something to do with the different conditions the PCV sees under boost.

You could put a catch can in there in the traditional spot of between the valley outlet and intake vaccum port.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. It could be a small expansion "tank" for changes in pressure...maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Russel is correct on all aspects of how this system works.

The downside to this configuration is if you begin to mod the car then the valey cover fixed orfice becomes too restrictive to vent properly, but it is a MUCH better set-up than the LS3. With the air entering both valve covers and flushing to the valley cover the entire crankcase/valvetrain gets flushed and the damaging compounds removed. The Cadillac CTSV uses the same configuration. This is GM's best solution to date IMHO.

A catchcan is STILL critical on this or you will see the intercooler looking like the pictures I have posted and you surely dont want any detonation with FI.
No, I definitely want to install a catch-can....I'm waiting to recover a bit more from the initial purchase before I start buying mods, though....I like to have a very fluffy "cushion".

Do you guys have a ZL1-specific mounting place, yet?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

It appears the Long "L" will work fine, but post up pics of the engine bay showing the passenger side area.