Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Re: Tell them you're having your digital tire pressure monitor re-learn.

Hehehe

Too bad that self-cancels in 5 minutes - or if you don't finish the 1st tire in 2 minutes!

I had to do this last evening when I put new rear wheels/tires on the front. Resetting all the wheels was fun! My girlfriend said i looked like I was in a pit crew running around to each tire, letting air out, and waiting for the horn to beep!
Damn!

Well, try it anyway if you're worried about them knowing what you're doing. What are the chances the OnStar operator knows this?
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
I think the OP is worried about GM using Onstar to help void his warranty if he has issues with his drivetrain. Seems like a valid concern to me, if they can use Onstar to pinpoint his location at engine failure then they can use that against him.

Like someone above said there is a fuse you can pull. Also, the onstar box is on the roof of the trunk, mine is on the left (there is an xm box on the right). You should be able to take it down and just unscrew the antenna wires from it for racing and then screw them back in when you're done.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
My guess is that if they use Onstar in this way then everyone will cancel it and they will lose out in the long run.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
I think the OP is worried about GM using Onstar to help void his warranty if he has issues with his drivetrain. Seems like a valid concern to me, if they can use Onstar to pinpoint his location at engine failure then they can use that against him.

Like someone above said there is a fuse you can pull. Also, the onstar box is on the roof of the trunk, mine is on the left (there is an xm box on the right). You should be able to take it down and just unscrew the antenna wires from it for racing and then screw them back in when you're done.
So i guess the question would be, how long does OnStar keep hold of your location info from a wreck/breakdown? Or do they at all? I'd hope as soon as its verified you have gotten help they dump the location info but
Old 10-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #19
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewcam View Post
My guess is that if they use Onstar in this way then everyone will cancel it and they will lose out in the long run.
Actually I think you could sue for invasion of privacy/breaking amendment rights or whatever. No one is allowed to track you except a law enforcement agency, and then only with a warrant.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
So i guess the question would be, how long does OnStar keep hold of your location info from a wreck/breakdown? Or do they at all? I'd hope as soon as its verified you have gotten help they dump the location info but
It would be nice to know that they dump your data soon after but storage is cheap, really cheap. You have to have a business reason to spend the money, but maybe someone at GM/Onstar has come up with one. After all, it's not a ton of extra cash to store more data, they can always archive it to long term offline storage too when they need to.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did dump all of our data soon after a wreck, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they had the previous minutes worth of driving info for every code that we throw stored away somewhere.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
It would be nice to know that they dump your data soon after but storage is cheap, really cheap. You have to have a business reason to spend the money, but maybe someone at GM/Onstar has come up with one. After all, it's not a ton of extra cash to store more data, they can always archive it to long term offline storage too when they need to.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did dump all of our data soon after a wreck, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they had the previous minutes worth of driving info for every code that we throw stored away somewhere.
good point, if there is money to be made from it, they will find a way...
Old 10-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
Listen pal with the wise cracks what my question was about was will they cancel your warranty for drag racing and can they prove that you were doing it by using the Onstar.
Loose the attitude and understand who you're talking to before you comment please. The OP is a bit silly if you think about it but serious at the same time. Useful advice was provided along with a little fun. Please

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #23
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
4 out of 5 paranoid schizophrenics believe the 5th one is after them...

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #24
jdurhan

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Conv., 2016 Siverado
Onstar does much more good then paranoia evils that some folks dream up, I for one love it.
jdurhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #25
aberg

Drives: 2LT/RS
Maybe if you ask them they will give you your time and speed.
aberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #26
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
Don't renew the service.
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #27
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
There are exact instructions on this site as how to disable OnStar if you are so inclined. Just need to search a little!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #28
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
I went to the drag strip and let air out of my rear tires three weeks in a row. Three times Onstar notified me that I had low air pressure in my rear tires. I am sure that they also know where I was at the time. So, Onstar can tell if you are drag racing your car. Is there a way to render the Onstar inoperable without losing ones warranty? I do not want Big Brother watching me.

Sounds to me that its reading the TPMS and relaying the message to you. It could be a heads up is all, and its doing it trying to say air them up to keep you from getting crappy fuel mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote