Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Drives: 1986 Z28 Camaro 383 TPI
Question Aftermarket remote start help

So I've been toying around with the idea of remote start in my 86 Z28, and went to a pretty good place here in Amarillo that specializes in remote start installation and audio systems. When I told the guy behind the counter what car I had he basically told me that they could install it, but they wouldn't be liable if the car didn't start the first time. I then told him that it has a brand new gear reduction starter and could start faster than your average new silverado/suburban/chrysler 300. (you get the point) Then he told me that even then on a cold morning (a couple of weeks ago it snowed here and I didn't notice a difference) it may not start because of cold weather and something other about the tachometer and the TPI set up would also be a factor.

It's disappointing because it's a good remote start system. I can't remember the brand name, but it came with a LCD screened key fob, and even an app for your Android or iPhone that basically provides a lot of similar features that OnStar myLink does.

Like I said tho, they'd install it for about $350-$400, but they will not be liable of it doesn't start the first time.

So what's yalls opinions or experience???

Thanks!

Today I went to Orielly's to change out my serpentine belt, as I walked by one of the Orielly's associates who was helping somebody asked me if I knew where the sparkplugs would be on a Honda Civic... I simply told him that; "I don't know, I only work on American vehicles."

He told me that was the best damn answer he ever heard.
B2k4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
for $400 Id just start the car myself.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I have the Viper 5901 installed in my Camaro. I live in Nebraska, and it starts everytime. If your installed can't guarantee for it to work, go look for a different place and different installer who stands behind their work. I think he is trying to get you to buy a remote starter from them.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Dosin

Drives: 2010 2SS RS black ground effects
Do not buy aftermarket remote start. You will be sorry.
Dosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
=Stephens=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosin View Post
Do not buy aftermarket remote start. You will be sorry.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I have probably the best car alarm remote start on the market. I have never had any issues with my Viper 5901, and it has a ONE MILE range for remote starting it. You must have had a bad experience with the remote you got. We spend so much money on our cars and modding it, isn't it worth spending the money to protect your investment?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way. I have probably the best car alarm remote start on the market. I have never had any issues with my Viper 5901, and it has a ONE MILE range for remote starting it. You must have had a bad experience with the remote you got. We spend so much money on our cars and modding it, isn't it worth spending the money to protect your investment?
You just sparked my memory, it is the viper system. And Damn, a 1 mile remote start? What kind of parking lots do you park in??

He's not saying he can't install it, he's saying that because of the year model of the car that it may not start overtime I hit the remote start button, especially on a cold winter morning.

Remember, my car is a 1986 TPI Camaro, not a 2010 SS L99, or a LS or LT LLT Camaro. However I'm thinking that my gear reduction starter should've eliminated slow start ups.

Today I went to Orielly's to change out my serpentine belt, as I walked by one of the Orielly's associates who was helping somebody asked me if I knew where the sparkplugs would be on a Honda Civic... I simply told him that; "I don't know, I only work on American vehicles."

Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
=Stephens=

I don't need the one mile range, but if you are ever in a hotel or in a basement it has the power to start it. So check this out, I was in Walmart, in the back of the store. I remote started my car, that was park on the furthest part of the parking lot and it started.

You live in Texas, it can't get as cold as it does here in Nebraska. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sell your Camaro, and get a Gen 5
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
I don't need the one mile range, but if you are ever in a hotel or in a basement it has the power to start it. So check this out, I was in Walmart, in the back of the store. I remote started my car, that was park on the furthest part of the parking lot and it started.

You live in Texas, it can't get as cold as it does here in Nebraska. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sell your Camaro, and get a Gen 5

True that, but I live in Amarillo, Texas. It's not uncommon (actually expected to happen at least once) to get 4 to 5 inch snowfalls in the winter, so it does get cold here; but probably not as cold as where you live. Actually a couple weeks ago after one of my college night classes I went out to get in my car, only to discover most of the car was covered in a thin layer of ice. And the ground was dry that night too.

As for trading in my camaro for a 5th gen, I'd love to have even just a 2010 LS, but with my current job, I just couldn't, even if I traded mine in. Even if I did, mine would only be enough value to make a decent down payment on it. I am in the process of hopefully getting a better job here in a few days, but if I don't I'm pretty much stuck with this one, at least till I'm out of college...

Plus I just couldn't trade it in, it's my high school car. I've had too many good times with and around that car to trade it or sell it. I'm hoping that after I get a new vehicle (hopefully a camaro) that I can have it put up till I have the money to restore it. My dad also says he can find me a dealer demo car or a good used camaro for a good price, since he had all sorts of connections back when he was a dealer, he was also a service manager back when my car was new.