Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
Goran
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Sick wheels!
I think price is great for the looks of the rims and they do come with tires
http://audiocityusa.com/shop/19-20-2...ing-B001A.html
Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #16
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/RS VERT View Post
I think the Foose Outkast wheels have the closest appearance to the Z28 wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CammedDusk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
I think price is great for the looks of the rims and they do come with tires
http://audiocityusa.com/shop/19-20-2...ing-B001A.html
Amazing...

Nothing says "I am poseur" like cast wheels on a track car. Symbolism over substance.

Is it lack of understanding the difference between cast and forged? Or you just don't care? Or you want to see a forum reader crash and die at a track event because they followed your suggestion to mount up some cast crap?

Do some homework on forged wheels. A person that would mount up cast wheels to a Z/28 is going to be looked at by anyone with track/racing experience as an idiot. Flame away.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #17
Goran
SoCal HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Amazing...

Nothing says "I am poseur" like cast wheels on a track car. Symbolism over substance.

Is it lack of understanding the difference between cast and forged? Or you just don't care? Or you want to see a forum reader crash and die at a track event because they followed your suggestion to mount up some cast crap?

Do some homework on forged wheels. A person that would mount up cast wheels to a Z/28 is going to be looked at by anyone with track/racing experience as an idiot. Flame away.
Oh boy here we go....lol...

Hey buddy read the title "Z/28 rims or replica" no one is contradicting the difference between cast and forged... and not all camaro owners are taking their cars at the track..
Title does not say best "Suggestions for best wheels on the track"

Since the actual Z/28 are resticted and protected from cloning the Z/28... Then that leaves us to simply look for some replica ones or close to replica yo can get... Same thing when ZL1 wheels came out and replicas.....

no need to come in guns blazing calling people "idiots" ..
Old 04-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #18
Goran
SoCal HT5

Quote:
A person that would mount up cast wheels to a Z/28 is going to be looked at by anyone with track/racing experience as an idiot. Flame away.
Also no one is suggesting to mount anything on Z/28 besides the wheels it comes with ...lol....

I think you are missing the point of this thread, or you just wanted to step in and write something to provoke response like mine.... anyhow... Flame away..
Goran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #19
Zfatuated

Quote:
Oh boy here we go....lol...

Hey buddy read the title "Z/28 rims or replica" no one is contradicting the difference between cast and forged... and not all camaro owners are taking their cars at the track..
Title does not say best "Suggestions for best wheels on the track"

Since the actual Z/28 are resticted and protected from cloning the Z/28... Then that leaves us to simply look for some replica ones or close to replica yo can get... Same thing when ZL1 wheels came out and replicas.....

no need to come in guns blazing calling people "idiots" ..
It's important and responsible to clearly note that cast wheels should never, ever be used on a car that sees the track. Personally, I'd never install cast wheels on any car.

Some/most people don't have a clue, and on the Z/28 forum, in regards to a car that is engineered for track use (not just "a Camaro"), it is *critical* that people understand the differences in strength (and weight!) between a cast wheel and a forged wheel.

A wheel breaking on track is not even something to take lightly or to "chill" out about. It can be life or death for someone.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
The wheels that we are thinking of are for street not track. I would use the stock ones for the track. The wheels and tires are for the track, so no reason to change that.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
Zfatuated

Quote:
Also no one is suggesting to mount anything on Z/28 besides the wheels it comes with ...lol....

I think you are missing the point of this thread, or you just wanted to step in and write something to provoke response like mine.... anyhow... Flame away..
If this thread were on any forum other than the Z/28 specific forum I'd never comment.

I have no desire to provoke any response other than the recognition of the risk and consequences to a Z/28 owner of mounting up a cast wheel (vs a forged wheel) and then for that car to see the track.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #22
Goran
SoCal HT5

Quote:
It's important and responsible to clearly note that cast wheels should never, ever be used on a car that sees the track. Personally, I'd never install cast wheels on any car.

Some/most people don't have a clue, and on the Z/28 forum, in regards to a car that is engineered for track use (not just "a Camaro"), it is *critical* that people understand the differences in strength (and weight!).

A wheel breaking on track is not even something to take lightly or to "chill" out about. It can be life or death for someone.

When you put it that way...I Totally agree!!!

And great point there... Because you are right not everyone knows the difference, and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm one of them ... I would be more ashamed to "Pretend to know what I don't know"

Like I said the idea here is to find some nice set of wheels as close as possible to the Z/28 ones ( and yeah admittedly its going to be more for looks then to take the cars on the track) again same concept as the ZL1 wheels and its replicas..

Thank you for clarifying.... and congrats on you beast of a car!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #23
Zfatuated

Quote:
When you put it that way...I Totally agree!!!

And great point there... Because you are right not everyone knows the difference, and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm one of them ... I would be more ashamed to "Pretend to know what I don't know"

Like I said the idea here is to find some nice set of wheels as close as possible to the Z/28 ones ( and yeah admittedly its going to be more for looks then to take the cars on the track) again same concept as the ZL1 wheels and its replicas..

Thank you for clarifying.... and congrats on you beast of a car!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #24
CammedDusk

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS RS
Personally I just like the look of the dominator wheels. How did this thread get to the point of cast vs. forged? My car never sees the track, I just liked the look and comparison to the Z28 wheel...WOW
The dude ask us where he could get a replica wheel, we showed him some options..
Cat delete
some suspension stuff
Debadged
458/438 SAE
4:11 gears
lowered with BMR springs
CammedDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
I cracked a set of aftermarket non forged wheels at the track on a car a lot lighter than a G5, caught it before they broke. I'd never go to the track with a poser wheel
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #26
Goran
SoCal HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammedDusk View Post
Personally I just like the look of the dominator wheels. How did this thread get to the point of cast vs. forged? My car never sees the track, I just liked the look and comparison to the Z28 wheel...WOW
The dude ask us where he could get a replica wheel, we showed him some options..
yeah lets not get off the track now.. he did explain it nicely after the fact.... of topic but he brought good point to know for people me

Anyhow peeps back to topic ... any other cool suggestions for Z/28 Replica wheels
I'm sure lots of companies are on its way to make some nice replicas ... maybe reach out and see to LG Motorsports (for people not familiar they are one of our sponsors on this site, and makers of awesome ZL1 replica wheels).
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336285
Old 04-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #27
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
I broke (as in lucky be writing this) a "forged" expensive Forgeline at the ugly transition point at NHIS. If you road raced NHIS in the 90s you know the spot. All wheels can break.

Although I never did, many people xray their race wheels for hidden cracks in the off season.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #28
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
You get the rims for free, if you buy the car, LOL we tried to order a set, 4 weeks ago but they will not sale us an extra set till we have the car and its in my name.

That is so stupid of gm. The more I hear of this the more I want to trade the camaro in for a dodge. I am really starting to despise GM. sorry back to subject...