Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsejlowe View Post
I'm curious where you found them and if you don't mind me asking about how much they were?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
aby..do you know if the brake lines are direct swaps, or do they require special banjo line connects like the cobalts did?
Sorry guys, I missed these replies until now.

I was very lucky to get mine from a member here that upgraded his brakes on his V8 to the new Brembo Gran Turismo big brakes. We did a trade.

I am going to have my dealer install them for me, and if anything is needed he can get the parts (hopefully). The service manager at my local Chevy dealer is just as excited about the mods I'm doing to my car as I am. He's very cool. I had him do my cat-back exhaust, and also fix the balance on my new wheels when the first shop messed that up.

He knows about my plans to supercharge it, in fact he and some of his mechanics modify their cars and they are very cool towards working on mine. Actually, he has only one guy that he wants working on my car. I hear that from every place I've ever taken this Camaro, so I don't know if that's just a line to make me feel good or not!

Anyway, that reminds me I should call him and get it in. I was thinking about painting the new calipers IOM before I have the brakes changed out but I haven't done it yet. I'll keep you all posted!
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Sorry guys, I missed these replies until now.

I was very lucky to get mine from a member here that upgraded his brakes on his V8 to the new Brembo Gran Turismo big brakes. We did a trade.

I am going to have my dealer install them for me, and if anything is needed he can get the parts (hopefully). The service manager at my local Chevy dealer is just as excited about the mods I'm doing to my car as I am. He's very cool. I had him do my cat-back exhaust, and also fix the balance on my new wheels when the first shop messed that up.

He knows about my plans to supercharge it, in fact he and some of his mechanics modify their cars and they are very cool towards working on mine. Actually, he has only one guy that he wants working on my car. I hear that from every place I've ever taken this Camaro, so I don't know if that's just a line to make me feel good or not!

Anyway, that reminds me I should call him and get it in. I was thinking about painting the new calipers IOM before I have the brakes changed out but I haven't done it yet. I'll keep you all posted!
Ah... I was going to say that I'll be in your area over X-mas weekend if you wanted any help installing those brakes.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by faninc View Post
Just a fun fact, the stock V6 Camaro has about the same exact stopping distance as the Camaro SS with the Brembo's according to Motor Trend tests. Has to due with the extra weight.

Good luck no matter what you decide.

J
partially correct. The RS V6's stopped in roughly the same distance but its not because of weight. Its because of the tires, which are the same as what the SS has. The brembo brakes increase fade resistance. During repeated use, the SS will maintain its ~110 ft 60-0 while the V6 would take progressively longer.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
During repeated use, the SS will maintain its ~110 ft 60-0 while the V6 would take progressively longer.

....and this is not good for autocrossing!
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
....and this is not good for autocrossing!
Nope, not at all.

Though thats not to say the V6 brakes couldn't be upgraded in stock form. Drilled rotors and stainless steel brake lines (are these available for the V6 yet?) would greatly reduce fade.

Of course, if the prices I was looking at for SS brakes are true, one might as well upgrade anyway.
- X

Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
lsejlowe

Drives: 1969 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
...stainless steel brake lines (are these available for the V6 yet?) would greatly reduce fade.

- X
the SS lines would reduce fade?
lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #21
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
the SS lines would reduce fade?
Thats what I've read in the past. Good for stopping power and fade resistance.

Maybe I'm off base, but drilled rotors would surely help resist fade. And stainless brake lines would increase stopping power for sure. I mean, obviously the brembo system would be better all around, but fitment would be more of an issue, among other things (like cost).

I guess it all falls down to how often/seriously you plan on tracking the car.
- X

P.S. - When you quoted me without the first part you made it look like I was saying lines alone would greatly reduce fade, when what I was saying was that lines and rotors combined should greatly reduce fade.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #22
lsejlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
P.S. - When you quoted me without the first part you made it look like I was saying lines alone would greatly reduce fade, when what I was saying was that lines and rotors combined should greatly reduce fade.
didn't mean to take things out of context, just trying to make things concise.

You're right that drilled rotors will absolutely reduce brake fade. The holes allow better ventilation of the rotors This results in better cooling and it permits vapor buildup between rotor and pad to escape. The holes will also help to clean the pads and improve brake "bite"

The only reason I could see SS lines helping reduce fade is the possibility of better thermal conductivity. A SS line may transmit heat from the brake fluid to the atmosphere more effectively than a rubber line.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #23
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
didn't mean to take things out of context, just trying to make things concise.

You're right that drilled rotors will absolutely reduce brake fade. The holes allow better ventilation of the rotors This results in better cooling and it permits vapor buildup between rotor and pad to escape. The holes will also help to clean the pads and improve brake "bite"

The only reason I could see SS lines helping reduce fade is the possibility of better thermal conductivity. A SS line may transmit heat from the brake fluid to the atmosphere more effectively than a rubber line.
SS lines also give more consistent pressure where rubber lines do deform and ae not consistent and obviously are easier to damage or break.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
SS lines also give more consistent pressure where rubber lines do deform and ae not consistent and obviously are easier to damage or break.
This is what I thought as well.
- X

Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
lsejlowe

here's a well written FAQ from StopTech regarding SS hoses:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...teel_Q&A.shtml

they're definitely an improvement over stock hoses, but in a discussion of brake fade I'm not sure they have much relevance. Xanthos, I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to add some clarity and disprove any misnomers.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Not trying to bore anyone with a lot of reading, but I changed to AMSOIL fluid and brake fade is almost non-existant. I drive, say, 'spirited' on weekends. I never even considered steel lines. Thought the rubber was lined inside with steel. Just throwin' it out there.

AMSOIL Series 500 High-Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid

•Dry equilibrium reflux boiling point (ERBP) - the boiling point of new, freshly-opened, unused fluid.

•Wet ERBP - the boiling point of a brake fluid after it has absorbed three percent water.

The minimum dry ERBP for DOT 3 brake fluid is no less than 205°C (401°F), and the minimum wet ERBP is 140°C (284°F). That might not seem very high, but in most brake systems the fluid in the caliper won’t reach that temperature unless the brakes are abused. It only takes four percent water contamination to bring a DOT 3 fluid’s boiling point down to the federal limit.

AMSOIL Series 500 High-Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid has a dry ERBP of 274°C (525°F) and wet ERBP of 156°C (313°F).

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf3.aspx
Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #27
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
But if I can get my hands on some Brembos, I'd do that in a heartbeat, lol
Old 12-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #28
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I should be getting my set in the next 1-2 weeks I plan to do the swap as well but in my garage

Sean