Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
FINALLY! GM puts the big V-8 in the Tahoes

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/26/c...-gets-6-2l-v8/

It's still only 380HP, not the same 403 as in the Denalis and the Escalades, but the extra horses should really help the Tahoe.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Definitely good news...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
neo2227

Drives: 2007 Chevy Tahoe sittin on 22'
Heck yes but of course this is done after I bought mine. It needs more cojones! She is way lazy! I am going through some mods to improve mine.
neo2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Very cool! That will help w/ sales.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
They really should make the only options either a massive V8 or the hybrid system, so maybe all the people using SUVs just to commute their single butts to work every day will buy something smarter, and the people who really need SUV capabilities will have a vehicle with the guts to handle the task.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
They really should make the only options either a massive V8 or the hybrid system, so maybe all the people using SUVs just to commute their single butts to work every day will buy something smarter, and the people who really need SUV capabilities will have a vehicle with the guts to handle the task.
Just one problem with that mentality...it'd force the folks that NEED an SUV (which is a large amount) to either pay premium bucks for the hybrid system (who really wouldn't want one?!?!)...or deal with an even bigger gas-guzzler than they would with a smaller, probably-more-sized-to-their-needs engine...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:09 AM   #7
stovt001

OK, maybe my logic was flawed. I'm not an SUV guy at all, never saw the appeal, but I figured the people who really used an SUV, like Boaters, people who tow, go camping, etc, would want the biggest possible engine anyway. If that's not the case, just disregard my argument.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Just one problem with that mentality...it'd force the folks that NEED an SUV (which is a large amount) to either pay premium bucks for the hybrid system (who really wouldn't want one?!?!)...or deal with an even bigger gas-guzzler than they would with a smaller, probably-more-sized-to-their-needs engine...
Can you seriously say there are "a large amount" of people that "NEED" an SUV? I'm not trying to belittle your argument or get off topic, but most people buy SUV's to show their status. Like buying a viper, they're basically pointless, but man that guy must be rich! There is a couple that lives down the road from my parents that have two little little girls. Yet, they have two monsterous SUV's. They are so big that they don't park them in their two car garage! I don't see a boat and their SUV's are always spick and span clean. That is some message to send to the oil companies: "Raise the price on gasoline unnecessarily? We'll buy more!" Status.

But yeah, 380hp is nice when the thing weighs 5 or 6 thousand lbs.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Can you seriously say there are "a large amount" of people that "NEED" an SUV? I'm not trying to belittle your argument or get off topic, but most people buy SUV's to show their status. Like buying a viper, they're basically pointless, but man that guy must be rich! There is a couple that lives down the road from my parents that have two little little girls. Yet, they have two monsterous SUV's. They are so big that they don't park them in their two car garage! I don't see a boat and their SUV's are always spick and span clean. That is some message to send to the oil companies: "Raise the price on gasoline unnecessarily? We'll buy more!" Status.

But yeah, 380hp is nice when the thing weighs 5 or 6 thousand lbs.
We have a crew cab truck that suits us fine and will probably be enough when we have our second child. But, we could use the size of a suburban at least 6-7 times a month. Whether we want to go somewhere with my Brother in law and their two kids or with friends and thier kids. As it is right now if we have people over for dinner and we want to go out for ice cream, we'd have to take two cars. When my kids are old enough to start youth sports or whatever we will probably need to swap the truck for a tahoe just to have the room for all the stuff. I think most people really do need the SUV they own. Lets not forget professionals that want to be able to transport customers and clients.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Some people don't really have many options. Definitely not as many as you might think.

We have the Tahoe and have had for awhile. We didn't need an SUV this big when we got it, but we got a great deal on it and it gave us room to grow. If we had something smaller back then, when we added our 3rd child, we would have had to trade up and it would have stretched our money a little thin.

Now, we are looking at trading in the Tahoe and because we can, we're looking to go slightly smaller to get better gas mileage. Until recently, we didn't have many options. The smaller SUV's couldn't fit 3 car seats across the back seat. Even the Trailblazer and the Grand Cherokee didn't work because one of the car seats was still rear-facing and there isn't enough room behind the front seats to do that (both of these get worse gas mileage than our current Tahoe anyway). Now, that isn't a problem. The Durango could handle the car seats, but I never liked them, and the gas mileage is again, worse than our Tahoe.

So after trying them all out, we are in the process of negotiating on an Enclave. Smaller than the Tahoe, more fuel efficient, but still with enough room that if we have to haul a couple extra friends or stuff around we can.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

We need an SUV. There's two kids and both need car seats. On top of that, when we go to the grocery store, we neeeeed the extra room to carry groceries and the stroller. I suppose we could have purchased a station wagon or a mini-van....

Sorry...but we are not the station wagon or mini-van family type. There's nothing wrong w/ them, but we'd rather have an SUV. SUV's are made for more passenger room and more cargo room, IMO. You can't get that in a Dodge Magnum (only wagon I can think of now) or any other regular 4dr car. SUV's are a necessity for a lot of families and sure as heck is for ours. Sometimes, there's not enough room for us and all our stuff....then it goes on the roof!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

I'm with you Tag. We need it too. And, I can't stand any of the wagons or the minivans. I briefly looked at the Impreza Wagon when we got the Tahoe, but I just couldn't get myself to buy it. Just so happens something finally became available that would fill our needs and still allow us to go smaller and be more efficient.

However, the only thing(s) I have ever put on the roof of the Tahoe were things like ladders and 2x4's. Anytime there has been a luggage issue and we end up with "too much", I make my wife leave some of hers at home....lol. If I ever need to carry that much stuff, I take the Silverado. It still has room for all of the car seats and the stroller. If I had a fiberglass lid on the bed of the truck, I would be more willing to take it on any driving vacations we take as well.

But, the SUV thing is what works for us because it fills our needs. It just doesn't fill all of our wants. You've got to take care of the necessities (room for the kids, room for strollers, groceries, etc) first, niceties (great fuel economy, lower cost, etc) second.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
But, the SUV thing is what works for us because it fills our needs. It just doesn't fill all of our wants. You've got to take care of the necessities (room for the kids, room for strollers, groceries, etc) first, niceties (great fuel economy, lower cost, etc) second.

It's rare that we ever use the roof...very rare. Let's see...the bed went up there for the move to moms house. And, the Christmas tree (fake from Sams) had to go up there for the drive home. The roof has the rack installed on it and I always carry rope just in case. But, we didn't want a huge SUV (too large and poorer gas mileage). Actually, my wife didn't want the larger SUV (Tahoe), but I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

It all worked out. Midsize SUV is doing us fine...and is a necessity.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
stovt001

SUVs are just excessive for 99% of the people who buy them. Tag, if you have two kids in two car seats, those could easily fit in the back of even a compact car (as long as it has 4 doors). The trunk of my Cobalt could easily hold enough groceries to feed a family of 4 for a week or two. Heck you could even throw in a Target trip and pack a picnic lunch in there as well. When my aunt and uncle had their first child, they bought a minivan because they "needed" the room. How do you need 3 rows of seats for just three people? 8 years later they had one more child. You could easily fit the entire family in a Cobalt sedan, but they need more more more room. Only in America do you need twice as many seats than the number of passengers you carry, and need two or three cupholders per person. In Europe very few people drive SUVs, yet do they not have children too? Do they not also have groceries?

My family drove around in compacts until my parents had their third child. Since my sister and I were already older children, we got a little cramped with the car seat between us. After a while we upgraded to a minivan, which also allowed us to drive my grandparents around. So if we can do it, why can't every other small family do it?

Of course there are people who really do need the capabilities of an SUV. My friend has a Tahoe, and goes boating, jet skiing, hunting, camping, bouldering, kayaking, etc all the time, and the Tahoe is the perfect tool to do that. In fact he couldn't do those things if he was driving a Civic. So if you need to tow or haul major loads, or go off road, or heck even camp out in it (throw a sleeping bag in the back and you have yourself an RV if you ask me) then a full size SUV is the proper vehicle for you. Just have to drive a kid or two around? Stop fooling yourself, you don't need one.