Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #15
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
no zl1 no z28. berlinetta to replace the base then RS the SS. forgetabout a rear mounted tranny, how would that even work with a subframe unibody?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #16
NZcarguy

Drives: Victory Red ZL1, Black Audi R8
To add to the monkey.. a cargo net included from the factory to stop banana fallout

Change the Mylink system, change the stereo supplier, add sub. Add the option for a fire extinguisher, ceramic disks.
NZcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:07 AM   #17
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Less weight (about 500 lbs less), another 50 - 60 HP, and the 8 speed auto would do nicely.

I think you will see a variant of the LT4 but with closer to 630 HP. GM will not build a Camaro with the same HP as the hallowed C7 Z06 (or any similar top dog Corvette like a new ZR1) no matter how much we want it.

And if I was a betting man I would wager you may not see the $75k Z/28 return vs no ZL1. I don't think both will be back so given sales numbers, I think you will see the ZL1 return but not the Z/28. I think it is more likely you would see some sort of track-specific option package on the blown ZL1.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #18
Misterleeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
1. The Z06 (LT4) engine. They put it in the CTS-V, now I want mine.
2. The transmission in the rear. The car needs more weight in the rear and I don't need the rear seat anyway.
3. Less weight....minus 600-700 lbs should do it.
4. A downward sloping hood (like the 4th gens) so I can see the road instead of the hood.

That's it.....GM, if you build it, I'll buy it.
Uh.. what you just described is the 2015 Corvette Z06.
Misterleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #19
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Challenger has more HP than the Viper. GT500 has/had more HP than the GT. Why can't the Camaro have more HP than the Vette? They need to stay competitive within the segment.
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #20
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Whenever we find out the weight on the ATS-V, add a little to that for two extra cylinders, and you'll probably be in the ball park. Cadillac lists weight for the 3.6 ATS coupe at 3,530 lbs, so good luck getting them to lop over a quarter ton off the car. The transaxle would require modifying the platform, and that torque tube isn't made of unicorn farts and rainbows, so all that would work against the overall weight, cost, and interior volume. The LT4 seems reasonable, people bought ZL1s, so there's no reason to change that part of the formula. As for the hood, that's the final nail in the you-actually-want-a-Corvette coffin.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #21
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
1. The next ZL1 should be as brilliant as the current one.
2. It should continue to blend tradition with the latest technology
3. It should feature the top (or one of the highest ranking) v8 from GM.
4. The price should not be out of reach of camaro fans.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #22
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
IMO one of the three track ready cars will be dropped from the lineup. You do not need 3 track ready cars. The only issue is which one and if it is the ZL1 they drop then they will be making a 1LE with an AUTO trans.

1LE = Budget track ready car
ZL1 = Luxury track ready car
Z/28 = Expensive track ready car

However, it is possible that they keep the ZL1 with the AUTO trans and migrate it towards being a daily driver drag car. That would give the normal car enthusiast two track ready cars and a daily driver DRAG car. They need a normal guys drag car. The ZL1 could fit that bill.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #23
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
IMO one of the three track ready cars will be dropped from the lineup. You do not need 3 track ready cars. The only issue is which one and if it is the ZL1 they drop then they will be making a 1LE with an AUTO trans.

1LE = Budget track ready car
ZL1 = Luxury track ready car
Z/28 = Expensive track ready car

However, it is possible that they keep the ZL1 with the AUTO trans and migrate it towards being a daily driver drag car. That would give the normal car enthusiast two track ready cars and a daily driver DRAG car. They need a normal guys drag car. The ZL1 could fit that bill.
They've got the 8 speed in the CTS-V, so it'll hold the power, and they fit it in the ATS-V, so it'll fit in the smaller alpha platform, so I don't see why they couldn't. I'd be down for an 8 speed, LT4 powered Camaro.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #24
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
GM should start relying on turbos instead of the Eaton S/C's...

Hopefully the ZR1 Zora Mid engine beast that is on the way will be AWD 6.2L Direct Injected TT beast...

Then we get the next gen ZL1 with Turbo love...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #25
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedhellride View Post
no zl1 no z28. berlinetta to replace the base then RS the SS. forgetabout a rear mounted tranny, how would that even work with a subframe unibody?

Yes you can have a rear transmission/final drive assembly in a unibody. I have owned three Italian cars with this set up and it worked wonderful for what it was. I would note that it was for weight placement and the maintenance was difficult. In that application the driveline spun at engine speeds so you can imagine driveline maintenance was more than one would like, in comparison to what most people are expecting these days.

Todays tech is probably better so it might be longer lasting, but if the car is balanced (road course guy) I dont want the added service complexity.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote