Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
6L80 Trans, Torque converter bolts?

I'm told by some they are torque to yield bolts, dealer tells me they are not, Found these at advance auto parts, anyone know if these will work? Or some where local I might find some?
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
I'm told by some they are torque to yield bolts, dealer tells me they are not, Found these at advance auto parts, anyone know if these will work?
Not sure what you've found but everytime I installed a converter it came with new bolts. I've had trouble even with brand new bolts in the Camaro. They've backed out twice. Both times they were brand new with red loctite. The new fix will be tested soon.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Nitroman28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Not sure what you've found but everytime I installed a converter it came with new bolts. I've had trouble even with brand new bolts in the Camaro. They've backed out twice. Both times they were brand new with red loctite. The new fix will be tested soon.

I bought a Used TCI Off a member here and it didn't come with bolts, My problem is I have to get it installed this weekend as the car goes to 21st Muscle cars Tuesday, so don't have time to order any. Just not sure if the ones at advance will work, They're the right size but shoulder bolts, not sure how much clearance there is..
Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
I bought a Used TCI Off a member here and it didn't come with bolts, My problem is I have to get it installed this weekend as the car goes to 21st Muscle cars Tuesday, so don't have time to order any. Just not sure if the ones at advance will work, They're the right size but shoulder bolts, not sure how much clearance there is..
What about the dealer tomorrow? Worse case, use the ones you have with the loctite that's higher than the red. Mine tool time to back out. It didn't happen in a day.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Nitroman28

Quote:
What about the dealer tomorrow? Worse case, use the ones you have with the loctite that's higher than the red. Mine tool time to back out. It didn't happen in a day.
Called the dealer yesterday and he said 3 too 5 days..
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Called the dealer yesterday and he said 3 too 5 days..
Oh well. Seems like your choice is kinda made unless you can get confirmation on those new bolts you found.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Nitroman28

Quote:
Oh well. Seems like your choice is kinda made unless you can get confirmation on those new bolts you found.

How did you know your bolts came loose?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
You can use the original bolts over again BUT grind a small bit off of the end of the bolts. New bolts are recommended due to the stretch of the bolt hitting the bottom of the torque convertor cover. This will cause a dimpling of the end of the convertor backing plate affecting the lockup clutch in the convertor from having a flat surface to grab onto. This will cause premature convertor clutch failure and debris contamination into your transmission. A single drop of red loctite should do the trick.

This from ATRA website.
Never use an impact gun to install torque converter bolts. Driving a bolt into the converter cover will create a dimple on the lockup apply surface.

Lockup clutch failure will occur when the lockup piston applies against an uneven surface. Grinding off one thread length from all lockup converter bolts is recommended to avert this type of failure.

Last edited by etmx183; 08-25-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: clarification of statement
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
How did you know your bolts came loose?
It sounded like elves were banging on the block with hammers!! And the logs showed the knock sensors going crazy and pulling a shitload of timing which resulted in a loss of .3 and almost 5 mph on the track. It happened in the semis and finals of the Camaro fest.:(
Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Nitroman28

Quote:
Originally Posted by etmx183 View Post
You can use the original bolts over again BUT grind a small bit off of the end of the bolts. New bolts are recommended due to the stretch of the bolt hitting the bottom of the torque convertor cover. This will cause a dimpling of the and affecting the lockup clutch in the convertor from having a flat surface to grab onto. This will cause premature convertor clutch failure and debris contamination into your transmission. A single drop of red loctite should do the trick.

This from ATRA website.
Never use an impact gun to install torque converter bolts. Driving a bolt into the converter cover will create a dimple on the lockup apply surface.

Lockup clutch failure will occur when the lockup piston applies against an uneven surface. Grinding off one thread length from all lockup converter bolts is recommended to avert this type of failure.

Take it that's about the stock converter? The stall is smaller and the bolt holes are on the outside of the converter.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by etmx183 View Post
You can use the original bolts over again BUT grind a small bit off of the end of the bolts. New bolts are recommended due to the stretch of the bolt hitting the bottom of the torque convertor cover. This will cause a dimpling of the and affecting the lockup clutch in the convertor from having a flat surface to grab onto. This will cause premature convertor clutch failure and debris contamination into your transmission. A single drop of red loctite should do the trick.

This from ATRA website.

Very good post!! I like ARP's for replacements.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
Nitroman28

Decided to just Let 21st CMC install it, Would have rather spent the money on more upgrades but I'm getting to old to lay under a car..