Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
BC Racing Coilovers question

I thought I read somewhere that you have to drill a hole in the trunk to access the adjustment of the rear coilovers. Is this true? And if so how big does the whole have to be? Anyone with pics? I'm thinking of putting my order in for a set today.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You don't have to drill a hole, but it makes adjusting them so much easier. I will try to get some pics of mine when I go out. It is a 2 inch diameter hole with a grommet around the edge.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
You don't have to drill a hole, but it makes adjusting them so much easier. I will try to get some pics of mine when I go out. It is a 2 inch diameter hole with a grommet around the edge.
Ok cool, but I found some pics with them drilled...not that big of a deal. Send pics of what you did. I don't mind getting a little dirty before jumping onto the track.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
Ok cool, but I found some pics with them drilled...not that big of a deal. Send pics of what you did. I don't mind getting a little dirty before jumping onto the track.
You can't adjust the rears ON the car unless you drill the access holes. They make remote adjustment extenders for them for easier adjustments.

OR, you can get the Pfadt units and adjust away while on the car (front and rear! Plus they are lighter and inverted (reducing unsprung weight) and damping rates are a sh1tload better... I've had both so I can say this!
Old 09-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Here are the pics.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
You can't adjust the rears ON the car unless you drill the access holes. They make remote adjustment extenders for them for easier adjustments.

OR, you can get the Pfadt units and adjust away while on the car (front and rear! Plus they are lighter and inverted (reducing unsprung weight) and damping rates are a sh1tload better... I've had both so I can say this!
Yes....would love to do the Pfadt but they are double the price. You're talking $1k vs $2k. I know....you get what you pay for etc. But I'm going to be lucky to be able to afford the BC's. If money weren't an issue Pfadt would definatley be on my list. Unfortunatley money is an issue.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
The bc racing coilovers are much lighter than stock and on par with pfadt. The pfadt units are great. But don't think that just because something is less expensive it's not as good. The bcr units are some of the best coilovers I have ever seen.

I have said it time and time again. I won't sell something I wouldn't put on my own car. I have had very expensive coilovers on my vehicles in the past. I can honestly say the bcr coilovers are no compromise in quality over the ones I have had in the past. Just substantially cheaper.
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post

I was looking at pfadt because of the inverted design. However because they are inverted and being that this car is a weekend driver - driven in rain, to the beach etc... that means they would require more maintenance. I will save parts like pfadt coilovers for a full time track car....z06 or used zr1 when my daughter is in school and wife is back to work.

Absolutely fell in love with the zr1 when I did a 3 day class out in spring mountain motorsports. Ever since then I had the jones for that car.

BC coilovers will do their job very well - for my uses. More than one happy customer on camaro5 who owns them.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
Here are the pics.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
kenkartasasmita
COTW [4/23/12]

Drives: Camaro Of The Week.
can someone tell me what is coilover use for? sorry noobs here.
kenkartasasmita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkartasasmita View Post
can someone tell me what is coilover use for? sorry noobs here.
Coilovers replace your struts and springs. With coilover you can set the ride height to your taste and the ride quality with just a few adjustments. You can lower ur car or bring it back up as you like. Also have a soft or stiff ride depending on the occasion. For example if its ur daily driver you probably want a softer ride, tracking the car you can stiffen your ride all done with a simple adjustment of a knob for example
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

What Bawlz said. These vids should give you a visual as to what he said as well.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
I like that setup. Easy to get to, and easy to hide. Ill probably do that on mine. Thanks for the pics!
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote