Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Ahh that makes more sense. Would that cause any change to the oil pressure?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #16
1sick_eg

Drives: 14 Camaro 1LE,328i, and some Hondas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Ahh that makes more sense. Would that cause any change to the oil pressure?
Generally, I'd say no. Loss of oil pressure is usually a pump/relief/oring or bearing issue.
1sick_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #17
Cornflakes'Camaro

Roger that. OP, I don't mean to jack your thread, but I feel like we are in the same boat and have the same questions. Therefore, back to the original question, if the lifter is stuck, as long as the roller is still operating correctly, no harm should be done to the camshaft, correct?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #18
1sick_eg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Roger that. OP, I don't mean to jack your thread, but I feel like we are in the same boat and have the same questions. Therefore, back to the original question, if the lifter is stuck, as long as the roller is still operating correctly, no harm should be done to the camshaft, correct?
Actually, if the lifter isn't staying preloaded on cam like it should, it will eventually take out the lobe or lifter or both.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #19
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sick_eg View Post
Actually, if the lifter isn't staying preloaded on cam like it should, it will eventually take out the lobe or lifter or both.
Exactly what 1sick_eg said. It was starting to work on mine already a little bit, and I only drove about 100 miles on it to get it home. Mine came on suddenly.

When I say stuck, I really mean it is indeed a collapsed lifter - not stuck in the bore. You could press it down very easily with a finger. You won't do this with a new one.

CornFlake'sCamaro, If yours is tapping and they are new, and Morel, which I believe these are hydraulic also, then I would only guess your pushrods are too short or there is not enough pre-load on the lifter, or your rocker arm is loose - not an expert, only guessing here. I would say yours should sound like this below (video below). I took this video of the engine right after my cam was installed, and it sounded this good up until the lifter collapsed 40K miles later. That's just the way the dice fall sometimes with hydraulic lifters and high lift cams and a lot of high rpms - not much you can do about it unless you baby it, but where is the fun in that!

I went and listened to your video and the valvetrain seems pretty noisy to me for hydraulic lifters, but doesn't sound like a collapsed one though. The good news is that measuring for the correct pushrod length and calculating pre-load is pretty easy from a labor perspective and corrected easily if needed . You just have to remove the valve covers. Make sure the piston is at TDC on the one you want to check. Excellent instructions are here if you are interested - there is a video near the end which shows in great detail how to do it: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123 if this is something you want to tackle yourself.

Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #20
Cornflakes'Camaro

Everyone who is reading this...make sure you're ready for a good laugh...

First and foremost, thank you SeaCompiler and 1sick_EG for the plentiful information that you have provided me while I was trying to solve the issue that I have had.

I unbolted the dipstick bracket from the engine head the other day while I was replacing my header gasket on the passenger side bank of the motor. While it was unbolted, I tugged on it and accidentally pulled it out of the engine block. No biggie, I pushed the tubing and the dipstick itself back into the crankcase...so I thought...

I went to change my oil today and saw the tubing and the dipstick itself were sitting outside the block, basically having a small hole in my crankcase. After changing the oil and catch can, I reinstalled the tube/dipstick into the hole then started up the motor.

I noticed the tapping was immediately reduced. Which makes sense because it was only coming from the passenger (dipstick side) of the motor. There still is a slight "tap", but it is a soft tap. Nothing harsh or popping like it was prior.

So, instead of it being a lifter/rocker arm, I believe it was my dumb @$$ not realizing I had accidentally removed the dipstick tube from the crankcase, which was causing most of the noise of a "pop" or "tap" to happen.

You can laugh now.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #21
SeaCompiler

Glad it worked out. Its amazing what sounds are made when something is loose or leaking!
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
Old 04-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #22
Cornflakes'Camaro

Edit: I spoke too soon. Upon still hearing a very faint tick, I found a partially collapsed lifter on cylinder 4 intake portion of the valve train.

Martin from Tick Performance sent me a pair of Morel 5315 lifters and pushrods overnight (extra pushrods incase any were bent). Tuesday evening, I pulled the passenger bank head, replaced the pair of lifters on cylinder 4, inspected all the pushrods on the left bank. Everything checked out, and Wednesday I drove up to Tick Performance for the dyno appointment. Jonathan dyno'd the car at 470 WHP after 5 pulls and everything worked fine. We drove around, he worked on the idle and continued working his magic. After he was finished with all aspects of the tune, I drove back home (4 hr drive) after Jonathan worked his magic, and the car is running amazing.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #23
1sick_eg

Good to hear cornflakes. A lot of times, especially if you don't work on cars often, you tend to miss small things like that in the rush of things. I'd say 99% of us have done it at one time, if not multiple times. It's a learning experience.

Anytime I work on a new car or motor I haven't worked on, or worked on enough, I seperate the bolts and parts and label them. Majority of bolts will work in various areas, but I've seen people make the mistake of putting a bolt that was the same diameter but different length in the wrong spot, and cracking some very important parts. Not a good day for that guy.

Glad you caught the dipstick and the lifter before it was too late. Those Morels should serve you well.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #24
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale

I have a similar sound, do yall think I have the same problem?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #25
1sick_eg

Almost 100% that's a lifter. Looks like you'll need a new cam as well.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #26
Cornflakes'Camaro

Sounds similar to the OP's original video. I say lifter as well.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #27
SeaCompiler

VROOMAPUNK, I remember following your cam build. Your video sounds just like mine unfortunately. I remember you did it yourself - so should be a walk in the park for ya now - right? It doesn't look like the stock lifters hold up too well. I hope these LS7 lifters go a little further - if not, I will go Morel next time. I have a high lift cam custom grind.

I should get mine started back up this weekend. My goal was to be down 1 month or less. I would have taken it back to Spartan but they are busy this time of year and I can't go without my only outlet for too long and he is the only one I trust other than myself. I have really enjoyed working on it - taking my time just a few hours here and there between working full time and family. It will be good to hear it again.

If you do it yourself, just be careful when you pull out the lifters to be grabbing it while you ever-so-gently pull the dowel rod out to release pressure on the lifter so it slides up as you pull. Do one at a time and as soon as it feels like it is loose, pull it up. One slip up here and you will be pulling the engine if you don't get lucky enough and the lifter lands on the pushrods and you can grab it in the cam guide with a magnet before it falls to your doom. I labeled everything in ziploc bags and boy what a difference it made going back together.

Pulling the heads is just one step more past the cam install, so do it right and your down time will be minimal. Get some ARP bolts to put it back together and maybe some LS9 gaskets made in Germany.

I will post a video once I get it going again.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #28
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if your going to do lifters. pull the old lifters 1st then the cam. Then you dont have to worry about dropping a lifter. install new cam then new lifters
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote