Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
traderfjp

Drives: Audi A4
SS V8 Power - Comparison

Hi,

I have a 2009 Audi A4 Turbo. It does 0 to 60 in about 6 seconds. It really has balls for a 4cyl and I get about 25mpg in mixed hwy and city. When I put my foot down on the peddle the car takes off like a little rocket. I love turbo cars.

To compare I drove a slightly modded 2006 C6 (cats, chipped, borla muffler, etc. and a stock BMW m3. Both cars were scary fast. They both had the kind of performace I want (scary fast).

I drove the Camaro SS Auto and wasn't blown away by its power. When I stomped the gas the car pulled but it didn't take off like the other cars mentioned. I have to drive the manual to see if the extra ponies and lower gear ratio will give me the performance I want. Will the manual make a big difference. I did use the paddle shifters on the auto but it wasn't a very long test drive so...

I love the styling of the car and there are some negative like the, small trunk opening, and difficulty getting into the back seat. I can overlook all these issues if the car can live up to the HP and Torque ratings.
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
It can be modded easily to get crazy power, but it will still be a heavy car. It is quite a bit heavier than a C6 or a M3 so it will never feel as quick as those I suspect.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
The auto can dig pretty hard out of the hole.

Honestly my camaro feels slower then my old car, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY faster.

Sometimes u gotta get a watch out to see

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
If your preference is small, light and quick, then the camaro will not necessarily satisfy your tastes... even with mods its going to be quite fast, but solid... In the showdown the other day between the modified Camaro SS and the modified Mustang GT500, the Camaro got up to 189 mph within a mile... that's fast, but the driver said it felt solid, and stayed on track.... its a decision that only you can make...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
traderfjp

I believe the camaro is about 300lbs. heavier than a C6. I wouldn't think that would make a huge difference. If I lease the car I won't mod it.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Stormyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderfjp View Post
I believe the camaro is about 300lbs. heavier than a C6. I wouldn't think that would make a huge difference. If I lease the car I won't mod it.
two different animals... 300 pounds can make a difference... one reviewer said that the Camaro reminded him of a nimble tank... not everyone likes tanks...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
traderfjp

300lbs. is like having my wife's mother in the passenger seat-I guess. I wouldn't categorize the Camaro as a tank. I thought it handled well and the ride was a pleasure compared to the jarring ride of the C6. It is like a Corvette but makes a better everyday driver. On the track if they change the suspension the car can holds its own. Perhaps the C6 is more track ready but who has time for that.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Stormyone

Quote:
300lbs. is like having my wife's mother in the passenger seat-I guess. I wouldn't categorize the Camaro as a tank. I thought it handled well and the ride was a pleasure compared to the jarring ride of the C6. It is like a Corvette but makes a better everyday driver. On the track if they change the suspension the car can hold its won. Perhaps the C6 is more track ready but who has time for that.
I think your observation is correct.... I had a vette, a C4, and one of the first things I noticed when I got my Camaro was how much quieter it was, not much cabin noise, and not a lot of the rattling of the various interior parts.... I agree it is much better as a daily driver and I have enjoyed every minute of it... its a solid car, and perfect for me...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
traderfjp

I see that you have a manual. Did u test drive an Auto? If so was their a big difference in power? I understand there is a Sports mode and taking traction control off will help get the car moving quicker. Also, have u tried the launch control on the manual? Any mods?

My friend has a C5 Zo6. It is a little noisy inside and the heat inside the cabin can get uncomfortable in the summer. The C6 is suppose to be a better Vette.

Last edited by traderfjp; 07-30-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
Stormyone

Quote:
I see that you have a manual. Did u test drive an Auto? If so was their a big difference in power? I understand there is a Sports mode and taking traction control off help get the car moving quicker. Also, have u the launch control on teh manual? Any mods?

My friend has a C5 Zo6. It is a little noisy inside and the heat inside the cabin can get uncomfortable in the summer. The C6 is suppose to be a better Vette.
I am sure the C5's are better than the one I had, though I liked my C4 for what it was....

I did not drive a auto, I figured if I was going to get a muscle car I wanted to shift gears... I have not modded mine yet, still trying to decide if I will or not. I have not driven it yet with the traction control or stability track systems off yet.... and I have not used the launch control yet as it seems to get going pretty quick as is... its much faster than my vette was...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Hillbilly
Rider of the short BUS

Drives: Ukon/F350(work)/Intruder800
who cares how fast it is. I just park mine in the yard, sit on the porch with my MD and look at it. AHHHHH what a view.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
traderfjp

I drove a Challenger RT last week with a 5.7l Hemi. The engine had a strange howl to it. The car seemed built cheaply compared to the Camaro. It was also a little to retro.

How do u like the manual? Do u feel it is notchy? Short/long throw. An easy clutch to get use to?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Hi,

I have a 2009 Audi A4 Turbo. It does 0 to 60 in about 6 seconds. It really has balls for a 4cyl and I get about 25mpg in mixed hwy and city. When I put my foot down on the peddle the car takes off like a little rocket. I love turbo cars.

To compare I drove a slightly modded 2006 C6 (cats, chipped, borla muffler, etc. and a stock BMW m3. Both cars were scary fast. They both had the kind of performace I want (scary fast).

I drove the Camaro SS Auto and wasn't blown away by its power. When I stomped the gas the car pulled but it didn't take off like the other cars mentioned. I have to drive the manual to see if the extra ponies and lower gear ratio will give me the performance I want. Will the manual make a big difference. I did use the paddle shifters on the auto but it wasn't a very long test drive so...

I love the styling of the car and there are some negative like the, small trunk opening, and difficulty getting into the back seat. I can overlook all these issues if the car can live up to the HP and Torque ratings.
Someone with no clue can get the car 0-60 at 5 seconds people that know how to drive can go much lower I've seen 4.6 posted. The official times for the Camaro is faster than any base c5 corvettes stock. It's also faster than any base c6 older than 2007.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
traderfjp

I'm sure a better driver could also get more performace out of the BMW M3 and C6 that I thought was scary fast. I'm just going by what I felt when I stomped the pedal to the floor. The auto seemed sluggish but in all fairness I didn't try Sports/manual mode or have enough time to really play with the paddle shifters.