Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
RallyellowRS

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Extended Warranty

When you bought your Camaro, how much did the extended warranty cost? I did not buy the extended warranty, now I'm kicking myself. I called my dealer if I bought a EW now it would cost $2,175 plus tax. This would cover 7 years/ 50,000 miles. I have a 2012 with 13,500 miles on it. do you think it is worth it? I plan on keeping this car.
RallyellowRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
i was never into extended warranties, and i never had a car that broke down in the extended warranty time frame
Old 10-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
its a gamble....

back in the day i would say no to them, but with how much these are computer controlled there is alot that can go wrong. yes they have a good powertrain warranty but if a computer goes it can cost upwards of 1-2k. hell just look at all the heater cores you see people changing on here what would the labor cost to remove a dash.

i think i paid about $1200 for a 100k mile/5yr. keep in mind they are negotiable the only difference in getting it when you get the car vs getting it after is you cant roll it into your loan. as long as your within your factory warranty period it should be the same cost as new.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
I have been thinking about this myself and also around the same price range. They said it would be $100mo which doesn't sound right so I need to call them about that. I plan on getting it, like baum said so many computer parts in there and if one thing goes wrong it will cost a bundle. It's better to have it and not need it than not having the warranty and something goes wrong. Up to you what you want to do.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Depending on when you bought it, you drive between 4,000 to 7,500 miles a year. The extended warranty on a heavy mileage vehicle (25,000+ miles a year) is still a rip. They wouldn't offer these things if they weren't making BIG money on them. On average 60%+ of your cost is pure profit for them.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
damian559

Drives: 2015 1SS, 1LE, Recaro, NPP
What warranty?
12.1 @ 117 (Motor)
11.7 @ 129 (Nitrous)
Nitrous Outlet Single Nozzle Kit | Stand Alone Fuel Cell w/ C16 | Custom Grind Cam | Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT Headers | CAI Intake | ATI Super Damper | BMR Trailing Arms & Toe Links | Prothane Polyurethane Sub-frame Bushings | JDP Upper Control Arm Bushings | MT Drag Radials | Tuned by SS Motorsports
Youtube Channel:
Click Here
damian559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Extended warranties can be bought at any time and it doesn't have to be through a dealer or even GM. A warranty is an insurance policy with defined terms and coverages. Lots and lots and lots of companies that sell them out there.

I don't buy extended warranties. What I do is set aside cash for repairs. The cash earns interest, and it can be temporarily tied up in other things if it's needed elsewhere.

If you do buy one, make sure you read the terms, then read them again, to make sure you understand exactly what is covered, what's not covered, and when, and by whom.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
its a gamble....

Exactly... it IS a gamble, and the house ALWAYS has the advantage. Sure, sometimes the dollars you risk will pay off MORE than you paid, but in the larger scope, the math gives the house a clear advantage.

Slot machines and extended warranties are the same thing: You MIGHT be really glad that you dropped your money into it and spun the wheel... but you will probably just be donating it to The Man.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
do not buy it.

they wouldnt have it available if they werent raking in the money.

50,000 miles?!?!? wtf, the gm warranty is 100,000 from the factory on drivetrain.

the warranty will do whatever they can to get out of it. ANY, ANY modification and they will deny the claim. you have to provide EVERY single piece of maintenance on the car, and you better not miss any.

i work at an auto repair shop and we see what happens on a daily basis. there is only 2 that are somewhat ok and they are Carmax extended warraties and Mercury insurance company has/had one i think for their customers. But even still, the vehicles dont break down THAT often. the old "them computers are expensive" gag is bs.

whats even more funny is the fact that they show you this list of "what is covered" and the strange thing is all the crap on that list never breaks! Well, its not so strange, they built that list on purpose to make it look good, "look honey, look how much it covers for just $2100."

They also dont cover: tax (so of them, the worse ones), coolant, feon, evacuate and recharge, alignments if front end parts are replaced and you have a deductible.

Remember the old anti drug slogan, "Just say no", well that goes for this too.

hope i helped, good luck.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
do not buy it.

they wouldnt have it available if they werent raking in the money.

50,000 miles?!?!? wtf, the gm warranty is 100,000 from the factory on drivetrain.

the warranty will do whatever they can to get out of it. ANY, ANY modification and they will deny the claim. you have to provide EVERY single piece of maintenance on the car, and you better not miss any.

i work at an auto repair shop and we see what happens on a daily basis. there is only 2 that are somewhat ok and they are Carmax extended warraties and Mercury insurance company has/had one i think for their customers. But even still, the vehicles dont break down THAT often. the old "them computers are expensive" gag is bs.

whats even more funny is the fact that they show you this list of "what is covered" and the strange thing is all the crap on that list never breaks! Well, its not so strange, they built that list on purpose to make it look good, "look honey, look how much it covers for just $2100."

They also dont cover: tax (so of them, the worse ones), coolant, feon, evacuate and recharge, alignments if front end parts are replaced and you have a deductible.

Remember the old anti drug slogan, "Just say no", well that goes for this too.

hope i helped, good luck.
^^^^ THIS !!
So much is not covered
Old 10-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
^^^^ THIS !!

So much is not covered

I agree with this as well.

Every service guy I've talked to about extended warranty says its a nightmare. Sometimes customer cars sit at the dealer because they are fighting the claim adjusters for a payment and the customer doesn't want to pay the 5k repair bill.

Read the fine print is all I can say.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
I bought one.. everything is covered except liquids...brakes (wear items)... goes to 160K Km - was about 1200
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyellowRS View Post
I have a 2012 with 13,500 miles on it. do you think it is worth it? I plan on keeping this car.
Unless you have had some significant warranty-related repairs done, after only 13K miles, I wouldn't worry about it. EW's are rarely worthwhile.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Save your money.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote