Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-12-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
karicamaro

Drives: 2012 v6 camaro
ebay cold air intake ?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried the cold air intake on ebay that sells for anout 119.00 ?
karicamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
do a search on here there is guy who did a write up on it. he also did a write up on the ebay 179 exhaust also
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
I would stay away from that stuff. Just my opinion here, but you spent a good deal of money to get a Camaro why would you put cheap parts that were not engineered to work correctly on it? I know the lower price is tempting, and I asked the same question when I started modding mine.
Do your car a favor, buy quality parts and enjoy the ride!

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karicamaro View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the cold air intake on ebay that sells for anout 119.00 ?

6 words.....you get what you pay for!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
I would stay away from that stuff. Just my opinion here, but you spent a good deal of money to get a Camaro why would you put cheap parts that were not engineered to work correctly on it? I know the lower price is tempting, and I asked the same question when I started modding mine.
Do your car a favor, buy quality parts and enjoy the ride!

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
ok im going to play devils advocate here. i dont have any CAI so im not partial to any one or another. and i dont really know much about them besides i use to have on on my old civic when i though it was cool back in the day.

what truly makes one better than another besides the filter itself? when it comes down to it its really just a piece of pipe (injection molded or mandrel bent) with a "cover box" and a filter.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
what truly makes one better than another besides the filter itself? when it comes down to it its really just a piece of pipe (injection molded or mandrel bent) with a "cover box" and a filter.
And I think if I remember the correct review, a guy that bought the cheap system put a proper K&N filter on it. Or maybe I'm thinking of something different.

I know I put a cheapo Ebay CAI on my Fiero. After 5k miles I checked the filter - when I pulled the filter, the entire intake tube was coated with a super fine dust. I put the stock air intake back on. It was a SPECTRE brand air filter. I'd recommend staying away from them unless their quality has significantly improved.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
Materials, longevity, amount of air, and heat soak. Some allow heat soak to affect the intake air temperatures and when you have hotter air, it's less dense and the IAT sensor readings can pull timing away from your car.

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:09 AM   #9
karicamaro

makes sense just the one I was looking at looks just like several brand name ones with a heat shield just doesn't have the brand name. If I can a similar set up and sane 200.00 to use for my bored out throttle body why not. I too have put many intakes on other cars but they weren't the same caliber of this Camaro also. I agree that a piece of tube bent right with a filter on it cant be too different than one that says k&n for example. But I just wanted to get some reviews from those that have used them. I personally am leaning toward the injen true cold air intake.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #10
karicamaro

anyone ?
Old 06-14-2014, 03:31 AM   #11
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
I personally wouldn't buy anything of eBay...
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:51 AM   #12
dmginc

Quote:
Originally Posted by karicamaro View Post
makes sense just the one I was looking at looks just like several brand name ones with a heat shield just doesn't have the brand name. If I can a similar set up and sane 200.00 to use for my bored out throttle body why not. I too have put many intakes on other cars but they weren't the same caliber of this Camaro also. I agree that a piece of tube bent right with a filter on it cant be too different than one that says k&n for example. But I just wanted to get some reviews from those that have used them. I personally am leaning toward the injen true cold air intake.
The CAI intake has a ceramic coated tube which keeps the air flowing through the tube cooler. the CAI has a sealed and insulated box which helps keep it cooler then the engine bay is. an intake isnt just for sucking in more air, its also for sucking in cooler air which will give you greater performance. the RotoFab intake is also very good tho i have no hands on experience with it. the long tube intake from Injen is also good but if you daily drive your car beware that it can suck up water since the filter is close to the ground.

SLP has some new intakes that look pretty good. stay away from no-name e-bay intakes IMHO

Old 06-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #13
karicamaro

I was looking at the roto fab intake and it looks almost identical to the ebay one with no cover on it either, that's why I was wondering what the difference was. And yes this is going to be my daily driver and I did think about the water aspect but from what I read it gives you the most horsepower. So If I am going to be spending big money I want the most I can get out of it
Old 06-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #14
dmginc

if you want the most out of an intake, dont by a cheap one. just because they look the same does not mean they are equal.