Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Detonator12
Camaro Craver

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - Ashen Gray
Send a message via MSN to Detonator12 Send a message via Yahoo to Detonator12
Camaro SS vs 2SS

HI Guys! This is my very first thread on Camaro5.com

I have been waiting for almost three years for this car to come out. Now that I am on the verge to purchase my very first American Car (I've owned two imports in the past), I am indecisive as to which SS version I should buy.. the SS or the 2SS. From what I've seen on the spec sheets; it's pretty much the heated mirrors, leather seats, and some other minor things. I am not the richest person, so I am as to which one I should get. Would saving an extra 4000 or so take away from the TRUE SS experience? Chevy has created on amazing piece of machinery and I have been converted to an instant Camaro Craver! Your advice is appreciated
Detonator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
welcome to the site and thanks for supporting our economy!

the differences between the 1SS & 2SS (as well as 1LT & 2LT) packages are interior convenience options, so if none of that is important to you, i'd say save the money.

the 2xx package adds the things you mentioned as well as the lower gauge cluster by the shifter & the plastic door/dash panels with ambient lighting, the high-end stereo, steering wheel controls for the radio & bluetooth, as well as being able to order the orange interior.

there is a wealth of information on almost anything you can think to ask - just use the handy in the top-right

good luck on your quest for information!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
Detonator12
Camaro Craver

Thank you so much for the information. What is the plastic gauge cluster? I had not heard or read about the ambient lighting being left out on the SS. With this reply, I am heavily inclined toward getting a base 2SS with sunroof (I live in Southern California!). I have sat many hours at work debating about the features I would like to get, and I think I will most likely leave out the RS package. Now... if any of you out there think this is a major no no... please explain.

You guys have to realize I am seriously holding off of marriage by at least 2 years due to this purchase... yes... I am serious, so this baby is important.... plus it's a good excuse
Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
TheNetGarage
We Sell Vinyl!

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The difference in the price is about $3,000.00. About $57 a month if you finance it. So you need to ask yourself if these options are worth about $14 a week for 5 years.

1 - Outside Heated Power adjusted and drivers side auto dimming mirrors
2 - Four Pack Center Console Gauges
3 - Boston Acoustics 245 watt 9 speaker stereo system (Thats a biggie)
4 - Steering wheel Mounted controls
5 - USB Port for Ipod or MPS Memory Stick
6 - Heated Leather Seats with six way power adjust (Thats a biggie)
7 - 1 year Onstar with Turn By Turn Nav Free
8 - Bluetooth! (Thats a biggie)
9 - Remote Start (Auto Trans Only)

That is a good value for $3K..........makes the car more today. But only you know your situation. Chances are, if you cannot afford the 2SS, you really can't afford the 1SS, or at least the payment will be tight. Today a $14 a week difference is nothing. Eat Pasta twice a week and you can cover that and then some. Good Luck with your decision! Hope this helped.

See Below:
Attached Images

TheNetGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
67camaro99
Account Suspended

Drives: 67, 69, 99 +2010
Go with the 2SS if at all possible. I did NOT get the RS package because I did not see any value on it. The HID lights are nice, but the rest is IMHO fluff. Red badging, darker taillights, darker rims, color coded roof railing.. No thanks...
Also, if u get Sunroof, you lose the Reverse Mohawk roof, that made me uncheck that option... Good Luck, and Congrats!
67camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Detonator12
Camaro Craver

Looks like the RS package is definitely out the door then. However, those HID lights are nice, but not worth the 1200 for the entire package. Did anyone get an GM Employee Discount on their Camaro? Also, how long did it take to get the car from the dealer once it was ordered?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
HaulinBass

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS
Has anyone actually seen the darker rims yet? I am going for the inferno orange with black stripes and would perfer the RS package with the darker rims.

I am getting worried that they do not actually make darker rims and tail light rings o_0

Last edited by HaulinBass; 07-22-2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: addition
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
2010CamaroOutlaw

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
I have been debating this as well but it seems to me that the extra money is worth it just for the leather seats alone.
2010CamaroOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Check out the pic's of the Camaro 5 Meet and Cruise from yesterday.

My car is a 2SSRS (naked, no stripes) and 67Camaro99 has stripes and NO RS package. There is a difference in the look of the car's. Everyone has their own preference so it's up to you as to which way you should go. I have to say that I was disappointed that the Midnight Silver wheels weren't darker. Don't get me wrong, they are sharp as hell, but I wish they were more like the Smoked Chrome that was available on the Corvette. Again that is my preference.

As for the OP's ???'s. The only options I don't have on my car are the 21" rims and body color engine cover. My car was close to $40k. Depending on your credit and debt to income ratio (and assorted other crap) your payment could be somewhere around $20 per $1000 financed. Depending on your down payment your payments could be fairly large. Make sure you are happy with such a large purchase. If you have to wait a little bit to get the car exactlly how you want it, then wait. It's a great feeling to get exactally what you want out of your car. I have never had the thrill with any other car that I get from this one, and I made sure it was exactally how I wanted it.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
ibznu2010

Drives: 2010 blk 2SS RS polished wheel
I have the 2SS/RS Package. I say the RS package is worth its weight in gold. You will be disappointed if you do not get. Big difference in the way it looks coming down the road.
ibznu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
67camaro99
Account Suspended

Drives: 67, 69, 99 +2010
Isn't that the truth... Its funny, I was thinking about that today, I am sure we all felt that our color/option packages, were the best one! Kinda like proud parents!
67camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
There's another thread about GM Supplier Discounts. I ordered mine yesterday and got the discount. I'm in San Diego, but actually ordered it in Ventura County - a good 3 hours away :-) will make for a wonderful break-in drive home. I also ordered the 2SS/RS package and only disappointment for me is now knowing the leather seats are mostly vinyl :( Re-reading: "Leather Appointed" seats...a drag...
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
The seats are just fine. Don't let the "appointed" part get you down. Very soft and very comfortable
Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
The seats are just fine. Don't let the "appointed" part get you down. Very soft and very comfortable

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote