Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #29
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEvilPenguin View Post
the engine is still balanced, it seems like people are not really understanding the DOD/AFM, it does not just shut off 1/2 the engine, it shuts off 2 out side cylinders on one bank, and the 2 inside cylinders on the other bank, making the engine fire,miss,fire,miss,fire,miss,fire,miss, and repeat.... no odd vibrations are created because a smooth firing pattern is kept, now, if it was fire,fire,miss,fire,miss,miss,fire,miss, and repeat... That would be a completly different story
Makes sense, still a little scary for me. Something about that crankshaft flexing while at 2000RPM still scares me a little.

I guess I just dont like the idea of a V8 'not running on all cylinders' when I paid for eight, glorious, Al, Gen IV pistons...

I am getting a M6 Z/28, so no AFM for me
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #30
martin_2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/Rs package
that AFM in my v8 honestly sux!! i didnt know what it was until i started getting stupid odd vibrations in my car... i thought it was transmission or something and it freaked me out because ive only had it for a month.. i took it to the dealer today and they just said that its suppose to do that.. they said they gave me a note or like a bullitin explanining the feature illl post it if anyone care to read it... i dnt like it it kind of like makes the engine like pop idk its dumb i want all eight all the time !@!!!!
martin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #31
Gobby

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Synergy Green
I have it on my 2011 ss,and it drives me nuts when it goes to four cylinders. You do feel it, and the car get sluggish, and you feel it in the exhaust.I am hoping to get a handheld tuner and program it out. Also I don't like the lifters tapping after it sits for a while. Mine has less than ten thousand miles on it, and it started at less than three hundred miles when I first noticed it.
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:06 PM   #32
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
First post used to wake the dead lol
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #33
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
When you remove the mufflers or do a cathack exhaust and the afm kicks in it sounds like a fart and its annoying as hell when your cruising on the highway you even get a headache if you listen to it long enough best thing tune it out or every time it kicks in hit the trottle lightly and it turns off but comes back again
Old 01-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #34
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
This old post just goes to show how things have developed over time and knowledge on here. My first Camaro was a 2011 2ss/rs triple black vert with the l99. Yes you can feel it LAG, yes it is proven over time the lifters are more prone to failure on the AFM lifters, yes you can disable it with a Harness or tune, and yes GM is not the only company using this technology and it will only expand in the future with the NEW CAFE corporate average fuel economy standards coming out in 2017 to really screw the pooch.

Thank god the Big government can shove things down our throat!
Maybe it will backfire eventually and they will let technology drive fuel economy not their stupid interference? NAH, never happen remember nylon timing gears? The change of the Chevelle to the Laguna s-3 for aerodynamics, the plastic thermoquad, a million examples of trying to comply with nasty regulation. That will require though a whole generation of vehicles to be built now though that eventually increase the gas mileage by 5 MPG per year for the whole fleet,( trucks excepted some) until they get to about 55 mpg.

And they will do anything to meet the requirements put on them so get ready for any tech they can strap, any weight they can loose and any power they can rob being more and more pronounced making vehicles more inline with driving a friggin MINI cooper and a 3 banger GEO METRO.....And be prepared for the reliability to go down.

Just so people know: it is good to eliminate AFM, its lifters should be thrown in a dumpster..... http://www.bing.com/search?q=AFM+pro...conversationid=

And it has caused problems with cylinder deactivation on other brands and the tech it takes to really make it work costs more, and of course makes costs go up and the future is stupid..........and more complex ..... so much it makes brains cells want to explode... LOL Because big government knows what best for you: its for you to give them all your money... That way they control you better. Imagine a candidate saying I want to take all your v-8s and make them v-4s !!!! I want to take your luxury and make you ride a little crap can around because it does not bother me!!! As I have money!!!

Imagine people protesting a Oil rig going out to do exploratory drilling and its being blocked by protestors dangling from bridges built from steel harvested and forged and transported and erected using oil, on Cables made from petroleum products, dressed in clothes made from petroleum products, eating food they would not have if it was not for oil, driving there with their Kayak,( made from oil products), for their buddy to harass the ship using oil, and made from oil products:( every thing they use is made from it or has impact on the availability and cost), so they can be hypocrites..... KEEPING PORTLAND WEIRD....
Yes that's the kind of crap we here in My states capitol watch on the news and shake our heads, as the tail wags the dog and so is our country....

Its time for a change....LOL HELP! The Donald? meh

Last edited by christianchevell; 01-02-2016 at 09:27 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #35
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Holy resurrected threads Batman!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
When you remove the mufflers or do a cathack exhaust and the afm kicks in it sounds like a fart and its annoying as hell when your cruising on the highway you even get a headache if you listen to it long enough best thing tune it out or every time it kicks in hit the trottle lightly and it turns off but comes back again
Solo's Mach XL catback is great for cruising with AFM. If you're REALLY looking for it you can hear it, but other than that you can't tell the difference cruising in the car with 4 cylinder mode or 8 cylinder mode.

To answer the initial question, yes AFM can be turned off (as I'm sure most people know by now). I had a G8 prior to my Camaro and I could tell when AFM kicked in more noticeably with its stock exhaust than in my Camaro with aftermarket exhaust. However, it's not really that bad. The worst of it was when I installed long tube headers and was cruising at 50mph going up a gradual hill.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #36
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Depending on your level of seriousness,

1.Plug-n-play: Range AFM eliminator module.
http://www.rangetechnology.com/

2.Tune/programmer.

3.Parts and installation to do away with AFM/DOD.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #37
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
Not true if you do it right. Get the Solo Axle Backs which are muffler delete and
the drone is gone. I have No drone at any rpm with my otherwise stock L99 SS.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #38
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
No the drone comes later when the un oiled parts of the cam start to eat away... unhappy little fellow known as the Lobes.... Maybe they suck like the football team know as the LOBOs from new mexico? That's if the lifters don't go south first... from their stupid desire to have oil.....or the stupid Lobes maybe wanting it too.... You all should read up on the problems with AFM..... Because its the future, and I dodged that bullet.... Traded.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #39
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Some of this stuff you just can't make up.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #40
mpd659

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I have the range device and it works great!!! I just unplug it before I take my Camaro in for service and the dealership never knows.

http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpd659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #41
Chuckem12

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS (2SS/RS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd659 View Post
I have the range device and it works great!!! I just unplug it before I take my Camaro in for service and the dealership never knows.

http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever had any issues caused by the Range AFMD? I heard somewhere they cause problems if left attached? Whats your review on it?
Chuckem12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #42
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
raise the dead.