Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Yep, that's more than fair man. Be VERY careful who you have tune your car. There are a lot of tuners out there that claim to tune LS motors well, but don't. Anyone can make power, but can they make it safely is the question.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Yep, that's more than fair man. Be VERY careful who you have tune your car. There are a lot of tuners out there that claim to tune LS motors well, but don't. Anyone can make power, but can they make it safely is the question.
Everything you have said i think is good advice. Personally I just went with springs and didn't deal with the tru boost. For you Lio I would do the same, not to disrespect but you should probably just get a good tune to go with whatever boost level you decide to go with. Otherwise you'll be dealing with many tunes, and adjustments on the tru boost. Since your considering 7lbs your zl1 pump should be pretty good and the kit comes with 60lb injectors vs 52lb in many other kits. But its up to your tuner if he feels your fuel system is lacking. I can't stress how important your tuner is, bad tuners can wreak a stock engine. I am running just shy of 12 lbs but Ted's tune is keeping it together SO FAR. I would seriously consider tuning through Ted, I believe Tcat also is tuned by Ted. There are other tuners also that can easily handle it but Ted has been great to me. Good luck, don't get to excited though anything above 8 and you'll be looking at dual pumps, injectors, suspension, tires, etc. 7 psi is a good number for a fast daily driver. Because we all know its never fast enough.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
You don't need to retune everytime you change the PSI. Your tuner needs to adjust your A/F and timing across the range to adjust to the different pressure when they tune it the first time. Just let them know how much boost you think you will run
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This thread is packed with good advice for every Camaro owner considering a turbo. Listen to TCAT.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
How can I contact Ted? Where is his shop?

Or how does he work on the tunes? Meaning does he email them?

Or can anyone recommend me any good tuners near Oxnard CA?
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Jordan 572 and TCat will my stock waste gate springs be able to handle 7psi?

And at what psi do I need to consider internal imagine work? Like piston rings etc!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #21
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Thanks everyone for all the help
Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This thread is packed with good advice for every Camaro owner considering a turbo. Listen to TCAT.
Thanks man . Much appreciated my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
How can I contact Ted? Where is his shop?

Or how does he work on the tunes? Meaning does he email them?

Or can anyone recommend me any good tuners near Oxnard CA?
Ted is Ted Jannetty from Jannetty Racing located in Connecticut. He can be contacted via Camaro5 or through phone and email written in the link below:
http://jannettyracing.com/contact_us.shtml

Ted can tune remotely if necessary. He will recommend you purchase a specific SCT Handheld tuner to datalog your driving and various accelerations through the gears. You'll send him the information that the data logging program provides, or rent a dyno for the day and data log on while running on that according to Teds instructions. He will study the data you send and make appropriate corrections, then email you the updated tune, and you'll upload it to the handheld programmer via OBDII port and woolah.

There are also some reputable local tuners available, but we'll help you via PM with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
Jordan 572 and TCat will my stock waste gate springs be able to handle 7psi?

And at what psi do I need to consider internal imagine work? Like piston rings etc!!!
It's not that the wastegate springs handle a certain amount of boost, it's the fact that thw wastegate is determining the boost level you'll achieve. I am betting your kit came with 5 pound waste gate springs, so if memory serves well, Turbonetics sells a 7 pound spring as the next increase, and a 9 pound spring following that. I would say to go with a 7 pound wastegate spring, custom tune, and call it a day. Chances are, with the stock Turbo kits injectors and a 9 pound wastegate spring and midpipes, I think you'll go beyond the duty cycle of your injectors, which is just plain stupid. They won't be able to handle the demand. That brings me to the next point, do you have an upgraded fuel pump? If I were you, I wouldn't increase the wastegate spring pressure more than it's at currently until you get a fuel pump that cab deliver on the level you desire. Otherwise, you are playing with fire man. You don't want to be "that" guy that blows the crap out of his new engine and then tries to figure out how to fund a very expensive rebuild. So, if you musttttt, get your midpipes on, and retune it the way it is. Otherwise, if you want higher boost levels, purchase a reputable higher demand fuel pump and injectors, get the midpipes on then retune.

Trust me, it's VERY easy to get caught up in the dyno numbers game and always wanting more power. You can also tell that with more power means more money because the need for parts that support the new power, whether that be fuel system related, drivetrain, engine, or suspension gets more prevalent. There has to be a time where you just drive the car, and say "Damn, this car is fun and fast".

Also, it's not just about boost pressure but also total power made that leaves you at greater risk for engine issues, and the tune has a ton to do with that too not just boost. Some people are safe at 7psi and others last at 10+, but it varies greatly because so many factors are at play. Nothing says you won't damage the stock engine internals as you are now, but on average, people do very well at the 7-8psi range, and above that it's possible you'll be fine and possibly not. You have to play it somewhat safe and do what you feel is comfortable. Ideally, you'd want forged internals before going the forced induction route but it's a large expense that most people don't want to pay. However, it's a nice safety cushion once boost is introduced. One thing is relatively stable though, the more power you make without proper supporting mods, the more at risk your engine will be.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Thanks for all the info and your valuable time replying Tcat
Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #24
TCAT

Anytime my friend. Now go drive that bitchin car and enjoy every second of it!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #25
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
This is a general statement not directed at any individual...

Tommy, you hit the nail on the head with the statement about enough is enough... If I may add... To those wanting more and more... Be careful what you wish for... It's easy to get these cars beyond what is considered street friendly.. For every power upgrade, you trade off some drivability.. It's incremental until one day you realize it's not fun to drive anymore... Some are willing to give this up, most are not...

You as an individual have to give an honest self appraisal of your desires... Bearing in mind someone will always be faster, quicker, etc...

EXPENSIVE is only the beginning... Another aspect is... Can you as an individual honestly afford to replace... Insert item... Turbos, heads, valves, pistons, cranks, rods, blocks... If it breaks... Without breaking the bank, making others do without...

These cars are a ton of fun stock... Sometimes I've wished I could go back and do it over... I'm still trying to make a pass as the fastest 5th gen in a standing mile... Here is a short list...
Blocks... 2nd one, third rebuild
Turbos 7 & 8 going in the car... These are not training turbos either...
Clutch... 3rd one... Thanks to The street slayer, don't need another... Ever...
Drive shaft... 4th one...
Heads... 3rd set... Turbo manifolds, 2nd set...
Injectors, third or 4th set...
Plugs, change them out almost like underwear...
Transmission... 6th... Five iterations of the factory then a purpose built trans that cost roughly 3 times a factory replacement... It handles the power and shifts where the previous ones did not...
Fuel pumps... Damn, let's see... Original... Lingenfelter duals, outgrew those, went aero motive big boy... Junk... Then a Weldon external... And the duals from Lingenfelter back in the tank, feeding the Weldon.. And the stand alone in the cell for nitrous...

My point is, as above, be careful and absolutely honest with yourself about you goals and what you are willing to give up to achieve them... It isn't long before the cash pits we call modded cars are no longer what we wanted to start with... And you wil almost never recoup your investment...

I had a guy at the Texas Mile watch me blow up a turbo and offered me a huge sum of money for the car and trailer while we were fixing it... I turned it down. I have no regrets about that but I was already in so deep I knew what to expect...

Be honest and you may not be disappointed... I had a goal and we are close...

RACECAR....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #26
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
^^^So true. It never ends. Keep it around 600 rwhp and have fun. Or just go and buy a piece of crap and make that crazy fast.
carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #27
TCAT

Thanks for adding that Robert. That is invaluable information, and everyone can learn a lot from your experience in the game. It couldn't be more true. One of the most amazing aspects of this website is that we all get a chance to share and learn from each others experiences. Hopefully the information contained in this thread helps members out in one way shape or form.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #28
jordan 572

Drives: none
Good advice everyone. Now that you hopefully understand what your up against if your going with Ted first thing he will have you do is probably get the zr1 map and spark plugs. Then you'll need an sct handheld to datalog with. Once you are running his tune you will be able to see map exactly on the computer. Then you'll be able to fine tune your wastegates to hit the desired 7 psi. You may not need new springs as there is fine adjustment on the gates. The lowest my 9 psi springs will go is 11.6 ish. So datalogging is probably the best way to dial in boost. Like tcat said you should probably get injectors, go with injector dynamics and don't look back.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote