Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #29
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorduck View Post
What's the FDA recommendation for daily beak intake?

idk, but its got a bite to it!
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #30
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Of course In n' Out rocks...I didn't even know about In n' Out until 1984, even though I had been born & raised in L.A. My parents failed me there.

Oh, and though In n' Out is awesome (I drove to Redding from Seattle just to stop there before heading to the coast to drive back north)....We have something better here in Seattle:

Wow, last week, my dog yakked up something that looked exactly like that. I'll take the McNoggin for the win!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #31
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
If you think that's a balanced meal you obviously know nothing about nutrition.
Currently I weigh 178 pounds so my base metabolism should fall between 2,200 and 2,400 calories with no exercise daily. Currently I run 60 miles a week and lift four times a week. My normal running pace is 8 minute miles and I should burn 120 calories at 60 miles I should burn 7,200 calories weekly and 1,028 daily. For weight lifting I do; biceps, triceps, abs, lats, upper back, lower back, shoulders, pectoral muscles, calves, thighs and hamstrings. Each muscle group (excluding leg muscles) gets 5 different exercises consisting of 4 sets all with multiple reps, with weight gradually increasing. I tend to pace myself lifting so I really don't burn that many calories. So basically to break even I have to take in roughly somewhere between 3,200 to 3,500 calories a day.

Now lets start on nutritional content. This is just my opinion which deviates slightly from FDA recommendations having trained people for years (used to hold certification) for someone who works out frequently. My recommendation for daily protein intake would be my body weight, so 180 approximately. My carbohydrate intake should be double what my protein is, so 360 grams should fit the bill. Now my fat intake should be about half of my protein intake, so 90 grams is about right. Now I'm also of the opinion that you can have a very high amount of protein so long as you have the carbs and fat content to go along with it.

Now lets start on what we eat. You should ALWAYS eat 6 times daily every 3 to 4 hours while awake to keep your metabolism at an optimal rate. Lets start with breakfast; 2 eggs with yoke sunny side up, 1 egg white, 1 russet potato = about 400 calories, 24 g of protein, 40 grams of carbs, 10 grams of fat. Next meal will be three protein bars; 600 calories, 45g of protein, 60 grabs of carbs, 15 grams of fat. Next meal is 8 slices of lunch meat, 2 peices of fruit, 1 red potato = 500 calories. 48g of protein, 60g of carbs, no fat. Next meal will be 8 hard boil eggs (remove yokes) and one full russet potato, 1 piece of fruit = 500 calories, 48gs of protein, 60 grams of carbs, 0 grams of fat. Next meal will be 6 slices of lunch meat, 2 pieces of fruit, 1 red potato, 1 handful of peanuts = 600 calories, 36g of protein, 60 of carbs, 25g of fat. Last meal will be a repeat of the three protein bars; 600 calories, 45g of protein, 60 grabs of carbs, 15 grams of fat.

So my daily totals are as follows:

Calories: 3,200
Protein: 246 grams
Carbohydrates: 340 grams
Fat: 65 grams
- So basically I'm coming close to optimal nutritional content but I could afford to lower the protein a little while raising my fat intake. Protein will help build muscle but non-saturated fats have a lot of vitamins and generally help maintain among many thing healthy skin. Carbs are the fuel that keeps the body going throughout the day. Now I could probably cut out of the lunch meat and replace it with egg whites to reduce my sodium intake as each slice at 280mg or 12% of my daily allowance.

Now while McNuggets may be sick and a disgusting food, really from a nutritional stand point they aren't that bad. There are more optimal foods out there but if you can stomach the grossness....well hey more power to you. Weight loss and weight gain are all math my friend. Feeling good and being healthy beyond that is largely dependent on the nutritional content of the food you eat. So long as you avoid lots of cholestrol and get lots of vitamins you can't really go wrong. It all comes down to a person's self control at the end of the day.

Last edited by TOMS1SS; 03-15-2011 at 07:57 PM.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #32
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearer2010SS View Post
Currently I weigh 178 pounds so my base metabolism should fall between 2,200 and 2,400 calories with no exercise daily. Currently I run 60 miles a week and lift four times a week. My normal running pace is 8 minute miles and I should burn 120 calories at 60 miles I should burn 7,200 calories weekly and 1,028 daily. For weight lifting I do; biceps, triceps, abs, lats, upper back, lower back, shoulders, pectoral muscles, calves, thighs and hamstrings. Each muscle group (excluding leg muscles) gets 5 different exercises consisting of 4 sets all with multiple reps, with weight gradually increasing. I tend to pace myself lifting so I really don't burn that many calories. So basically to break even I have to take in roughly somewhere between 3,200 to 3,500 calories a day.

Now lets start on nutritional content. This is just my opinion which deviates slightly from FDA recommendations having trained people for years (used to hold certification) for someone who works out frequently. My recommendation for daily protein intake would be my body weight, so 180 approximately. My carbohydrate intake should be double what my protein is, so 360 grams should fit the bill. Now my fat intake should be about half of my protein intake, so 90 grams is about right. Now I'm also of the opinion that you can have a very high amount of protein so long as you have the carbs and fat content to go along with it.

Now lets start on what we eat. You should ALWAYS eat 6 times daily every 3 to 4 hours while awake to keep your metabolism at an optimal rate. Lets start with breakfast; 2 eggs with yoke sunny side up, 1 egg white, 1 russet potato = about 400 calories, 24 g of protein, 40 grams of carbs, 10 grams of fat. Next meal will be three protein bars; 600 calories, 45g of protein, 60 grabs of carbs, 15 grams of fat. Next meal is 8 slices of lunch meat, 2 peices of fruit, 1 red potato = 500 calories. 48g of protein, 60g of carbs, no fat. Next meal will be 8 hard boil eggs (remove yokes) and one full russet potato, 1 piece of fruit = 500 calories, 48gs of protein, 60 grams of carbs, 0 grams of fat. Next meal will be 6 slices of lunch meat, 2 pieces of fruit, 1 red potato, 1 handful of peanuts = 600 calories, 36g of protein, 60 of carbs, 25g of fat. Last meal will be a repeat of the three protein bars; 600 calories, 45g of protein, 60 grabs of carbs, 15 grams of fat.

So my daily totals are as follows:

Calories: 3,200
Protein: 246 grams
Carbohydrates: 340 grams
Fat: 65 grams
- So basically I'm coming close to optimal nutritional content but I could afford to lower the protein a little while raising my fat intake. Protein will help build muscle but non-saturated fats have a lot of vitamins and generally help maintain among many thing healthy skin. Carbs are the fuel that keeps the body going throughout the day. Now I could probably cut out of the lunch meat and replace it with egg whites to reduce my sodium intake as each slice at 280mg or 12% of my daily allowance.

Now while McNuggets may be sick and a disgusting food, really from a nutritional stand point they aren't that bad. There are more optimal foods out there but if you can stomach the grossness....well hey more power to you. Weight loss and weight gain are all math my friend. Feeling good and being healthy beyond that is largely dependent on the nutritional content of the food you eat. So long as you avoid lots of cholestrol and get lots of vitamins you can't really go wrong. It all comes down to a person's self control at the end of the day.
Well perhaps you know something about nutrition so how could you possibly think they are not that bad. Without taking up to much space the fat content alone is high but the type of fat is the problem and I would hardly think they would qualify as a quality lean protein as they are about as far from real chicken as possible. It also is not just protein, carbs and fats, they are not all ceated equal. By the way the above meals you posted are far from being balanced and optimal nutritionaly, I am quite aware of the math and science behind nutition. Perhaps you may not think I know much about nutrition but you may want to check in on this thread and perhaps read some of my posts so as not to think I am speaking blindly.

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION WEIGHT LOSS THREAD
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #33
stryder09
Nerd.

Drives: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Since 2003, McNuggets have been made with all white meat; they are no longer made with MSM (mechanically separated meat).
stryder09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #34
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Well perhaps you know something about nutrition so how could you possibly think they are not that bad. Without taking up to much space the fat content alone is high but the type of fat is the problem and I would hardly think they would qualify as a quality lean protein as they are about as far from real chicken as possible. It also is not just protein, carbs and fats, they are not all ceated equal. By the way the above meals you posted are far from being balanced and optimal nutritionaly, I am quite aware of the math and science behind nutition. Perhaps you may not think I know much about nutrition but you may want to check in on this thread and perhaps read some of my posts so as not to think I am speaking blindly.

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION WEIGHT LOSS THREAD
True I'll give you that nothing at McDonald's is high quality ANYTHING. The one thing on the menu that I would qualify as "okay" might be the McMuffin. Lets face it though unless you have a master cook on staff to cook optimal meals, most people aren't going to take the time to cook everything. I'll admit my daily menu isn't the absolute best, but it is by far from the worst also. It takes a long time to prep all that stuff on the list and that includes 6 protein bars, the lunch bag gets mighty big. I honestly don't think most people are willing to go even half the extent to what I listed at 2,000 calories a day.

We can go on a tangent about vitamins and supplements but I think we'll save that for another thread. Howsoever I will say this, nothing at McDonald's is high quality, very few items even pass as okay quality. From a cooking preparation standpoint your 100% the processes used to cook these food strip the nutritional content next to nothing, the common term is empty calories. I'd venture to guess if I could find a vitamin content on McDonald's food there would be little or nothing beneficial contained in these foods.

With all that in mind I suppose the whole point of this thread was to illustrate something I noticed over the years. The content of most foods that may appear small at glance but may in fact be very high. Consider the calorie intake of a 20 piece McNugget, medium fry and medium shake. It must be something sick probably close to 2,000 calories which, is what a normal adult male should be consuming every day! The problem with these high fat foods is that the fat itself quality or not packs the calories on way fast. Most people don't stop to consider what a common protein bar that can be picked up at a gas station along with two pieces of fruit will roughly equal a 10 piece McNugget. Think how much more a satisfying meal that would make vs. a single fast food item. They call it fast food for a reason, it will fill you up in a hurry but it will make you fat as a hog if you aren't smart enough to realize what your eating.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #35
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder09 View Post
Since 2003, McNuggets have been made with all white meat; they are no longer made with MSM (mechanically separated meat).
Prior to the upgrade you used to be able to tell the dark and white meat nuggets by how they were shaped. The egg shaped nuggets were the white meat while the boots were the dark. My sister and I used to fight as kids who got the most boots. This is a sick world we live in, where is my astronaut paste?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #36
CFD

Quote:
True I'll give you that nothing at McDonald's is high quality ANYTHING. The one thing on the menu that I would qualify as "okay" might be the McMuffin. Lets face it though unless you have a master cook on staff to cook optimal meals, most people aren't going to take the time to cook everything. I'll admit my daily menu isn't the absolute best, but it is by far from the worst also. It takes a long time to prep all that stuff on the list and that includes 6 protein bars, the lunch bag gets mighty big. I honestly don't think most people are willing to go even half the extent to what I listed at 2,000 calories a day.

We can go on a tangent about vitamins and supplements but I think we'll save that for another thread. Howsoever I will say this, nothing at McDonald's is high quality, very few items even pass as okay quality. From a cooking preparation standpoint your 100% the processes used to cook these food strip the nutritional content next to nothing, the common term is empty calories. I'd venture to guess if I could find a vitamin content on McDonald's food there would be little or nothing beneficial contained in these foods.

With all that in mind I suppose the whole point of this thread was to illustrate something I noticed over the years. The content of most foods that may appear small at glance but may in fact be very high. Consider the calorie intake of a 20 piece McNugget, medium fry and medium shake. It must be something sick probably close to 2,000 calories which, is what a normal adult male should be consuming every day! The problem with these high fat foods is that the fat itself quality or not packs the calories on way fast. Most people don't stop to consider what a common protein bar that can be picked up at a gas station along with two pieces of fruit will roughly equal a 10 piece McNugget. Think how much more a satisfying meal that would make vs. a single fast food item. They call it fast food for a reason, it will fill you up in a hurry but it will make you fat as a hog if you aren't smart enough to realize what your eating.
Actually cooking well balanced meals is not that difficult, I am far from being a master chef and manage to do it.Maybe you should join in on the other thread mentioned, you may be able to share some input to those that are looking for help and perhaps pick up some useful ideas for yourself, the thread is getting quite long but there is quite a bit of useful info and ideas on meals, workouts etc.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #37
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Actually cooking well balanced meals is not that difficult, I am far from being a master chef and manage to do it.Maybe you should join in on the other thread mentioned, you may be able to share some input to those that are looking for help and perhaps pick up some useful ideas for yourself, the thread is getting quite long but there is quite a bit of useful info and ideas on meals, workouts etc.
Yeah egg whites got a little old years ago... I think will check it out.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #38
CFD

Quote:
Yeah egg whites got a little old years ago... I think will check it out.

You will enjoy it, there is a great group of people on it with a wide range of goals from weight loss to muscle buiding and everything in between.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #39
CJ Man
Missing my SS :(

Drives: 2012 Ford Explorer [ :( ]
Wow. Whenever I am hungry I am just coming to this forum topic. I will be in shape in no time!!!!

Thanks for the pics!!!!
CJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #40
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Watch the movie Supersize Me, and you won't eat much McD's anymore. That guy ate McDs straight for 30 days straight including lots of mcnuggets, went from healthy to organs starting to shut down. Docs urged him to quit on the last week and it took many months to recover back to starting weight and normal blood test results.
That's because he had McD's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 30 days. He also had to "supersize" his meal order if the cashier asked.......even if he really didn't want to.
I'm not in any way supporting a McD's diet but the guidelines for his experiment was a bit unreal. Anyone who orders a supersized McD's meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday is asking to be unhealthy. They are ignorant if they deny this.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #41
Skill377

Drives: 04 Toyota Camry
lol must be me working too hard but for a second thought the title said.. Fun facts about McLovin!

Back on topic, I haven't had McNuggets in a while usually I get my nuggets from Wendy's
Skill377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #42
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
That's because he had McD's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 30 days. He also had to "supersize" his meal order if the cashier asked.......even if he really didn't want to.
I'm not in any way supporting a McD's diet but the guidelines for his experiment was a bit unreal. Anyone who orders a supersized McD's meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday is asking to be unhealthy. They are ignorant if they deny this.
That movie was interesting but it did have a hidden agenda behind it. Literally everything that guy was eating was over a 1,000 calories. You do the math, no wonder he gained weight.