Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Strip my wax?

Should or is it a good idea to strip the wax sometimes from your car? I was going to was and wax again today. I use meguires ultimate wax.

On another note. what do you guys think of the Zymol cleaner wax stuff?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Well wax is not going to stay on the surface of your paint forever, it has started to come off a little at a time from washing and having it outside. If your going to rewax then a good wash is in order and clay bar the car. If your ride needs any type of correction work get it done and fhen your ready for a coat or 2 of wax on it. Your ride will thank you.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisebo View Post
Should or is it a good idea to strip the wax sometimes from your car? I was going to was and wax again today. I use meguires ultimate wax.

On another note. what do you guys think of the Zymol cleaner wax stuff?
The old days of 'wax build-up' are long gone. If your detailing regimine consists of regularly washing and waxing your car, there is no real reason to strip the existing protection. The paint can only hold so much product, past this you are only replishing what has been lost do to normal wear (abrasion, evaporation, ect).

Zymol Cleaner/Wax is a nice product. I believe it is made by Turtle Wax. Any cleaner/wax is going to clean previously applied layers of wax/sealant so it cannot be layered for additional coverage.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
The zymol seems to be taking out a few light swirls I had, where the meguires didnt do that. Might start using that more.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisebo View Post
The zymol seems to be taking out a few light swirls I had, where the meguires didnt do that. Might start using that more.
It is likely filling them in. Think of a scratched black hood. If you run water over it, it will look awesome! Until the water runs off. Same principle with some waxes, they use a combination of (usually) kalion clay, waxes, silciones, and petroleum oils to create a falsely level surface. Unfortunately the effect is often very short lived.

That isn't to say that products like this are bad, they aren't, but they are limited to what they can do. Many of the ingredients that cause the product to temporarily fill in the paint defects will prevent the protective ingredients from adhering to the paint long-term. In car-care, in particular at the consumer level, there is a lot of compromise.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote