Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #71
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsZL1 View Post
Well, actually all the LS2 owners have swapped their engine to the one from the G35s, as it is far superior in every way to an LS engine. Even the new generation of LT engines fall to the mighty G35s.

The G35s does a 1/4 mile .2 faster than whatever you say you drive. Even a Honda Accord is faster.

I'll post videos and pics later of two random 4th gens I claim I bought off Craigslist that had title issues and the motor blew up, then aliens took it, and then I got the cash back, and now I'm going to buy this other one and build it myself.

I don't even know why i'm building that slow 4th gen camaro when my G35s will walk it in the 1/4.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #72
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/Camaro View Post
My fiancee and I settled this debate last night. I've got a 370z Nismo and she has a SS 6MT. After nearly 3 years we finally went out and raced. It took so long because I wanted to get tires that were actually worth a damn. The stock tires on the 370z leave a lot to be desired. After we went to auto-x last night we then went and had a little straight line fun. We did 3 drag runs, switching cars on the third run, and one rolling run.

1st drag: I launched perfect, she didn't, by 110 there was a 1/2 a car between us

2nd drag: I launched good, she launched good, by 110 my front bumper was at her side mirror

3rd drag: We switched cars. Now mind you this was only the 2nd time for her driving my car and 1st time racing it. I got a good launch, she got a average one, by 110 the 370z bumper was at the Camaro's rear wheels.

Roll race: Started at 60mph and both started in 3rd. By 130 we were next to each other with my bumper (370z) at her front wheels.

Take home from what I saw. First off in the drag race the cars seem to be mostly even with neither car pulling on the other until about 80mph. At that time it seems the Camaro does start to pull. In all three races that is where the Camaro made it's biggest pull. Secondly, and most important, the cars are so close performance wise that it really comes down to the driver. On paper the edge goes to the Camaro and I'm sure a single driver driving both cars back to back will probably pull slightly better numbers with the Camaro. But on the street or at the track with two average joes behind the wheel it's going to come down to driver. No sense arguing who is faster, rather argue who is the better driver.

On the rolling race the cars seemed even until about 4th gear and the Camaro started edging out. After about 115mph the Z seemed to be in it's stride and stopped the Camaro from pulling. Basically telling me that as speeds increased areo started playing a bigger factor.

All that being said if we are talking about a 1LE I would whole heartily put the money on the Camaro simply because the more aggressive gearing will give it the advantage it needs to make a clear victory.
Great post! And answers the question.

Your fiancée is a real leadfoot! I'm impressed. You two are going to have a lot of fun together over the years, I can tell.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #73
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
Are you saying heads/cam LS1 is better than heads/cam LS2 or better than stock LS2? And I'm assuming it's stronger because it's smaller displacement sorta how the LS7 isn't very good for boost?
Stock for stock LS2 is faster, but heads/cam the ls1 responds better... My friend's heads/cam ls1(480) makes 50 whp more then other friends heads/cam ls2(430) gto. His ls1 can rev to 7200 rpm too.... An LS2 will never see 7k+ without throwing a rod.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #74
delphigto

Drives: 14 1le
I've had both ls1s and ls2s. Both are good motors. The ls2 will make more power if you bolted the same heads and used the same cam. As far as throwing a rod a 7200rpm show me all the ls2s with holes in them and I'll show you double that in ls1s. Any idiot can blow up a ls motor. I have seen some broke cranks in ls1s but that can happen to both. Bottom line is the bigger bore of the ls2 gives you more head options(ls3). The bigger bore will let the heads flow better every time. It helps keep from shrouding the side of the intake valve. You can make 500rwhp with a 4.8 or a 5.3 if you want to spend big money. Buy 5000 heads,a itb intake, rev it to 8000 or 9000 rpm. Comparing a couple buddy's engines that both have heads and cams isn't comparing apples to apples when we don't know the specs. A ls1 will make more power if it has a more aggressive cam and better after market heads.
10 2ss ERL 427 530 rwhp sold
14 1ss 1le
delphigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #75
Z/Camaro

Drives: 2012 Vette GS 280z/300zx
Well we just ordered our 2014 1LE and it should be here towards the end of October. So I'm thinking sometime next spring we'll race again after the car has been broken in and the weather has warmed up a bit. I'm sure the 1LE will probably take my 370z. Plus I'm not sure it will be stock by next spring. This time around we are thinking of doing some stuff right off the bat. We already got the NPP exhaust but I'm thinking of adding an intake right away as well.
Z/Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote