Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Question Which rear end to go with?

I have to say making a decision on this is probably more difficult than it was for me on any other component in my build project, because all the vendors seem to have a great product, but with the engine or supercharger there was few options to go with in terms of what I specifically wanted.

I've researched DSS, GForce, Hendrix and recenlty found out about LPE's offering thanks to Camaro5 member DangerRuss (I didn't even know the 9.5" existed), and I believe they all offer good product and most likely will also meet or exceed customer serivice expectations.

We did preliminary testing with the new engine and the results were very promising at 1100hp., before we ran out of fuel so now we know with a few fuel upgrades in the future we can most likely exceed that number quite easily based on the data, however, before that can be done it's best to strengthen the driveline so we de-tuned until I can get that done.

Based on my analysis all the vendors seem to offer some seriously strong kits, but I want to make sure I get the proper system that will be capable of handling my power levels which eventually may end up exceeding 1000+rwhp. and can maintain (to some degree) the integrity of the vehicle in place (no cutting, drilling, welding, etc....). At this point I'm not concerned with the price of the product.

My shop has done plenty of installs of rear end systems on numerous vehicles, but I don't think anyone local has actually installed a complete rear on a 2010+ Camaro SS, so I may be setting the precedent again for the shop. I have confidence they can make a good recommendation, but want feedback as eventually it's my decision what to go with based on all the details I can gather.

My question is to members which system did you get and of course what's your feedback overall, have you beat the crap out of it? Was it easy to install bolt on / cut and chop? And, to the vendors which of your systems would you recommend? How, compatible and adaptable is your system? ie - Is it proprietary (axles, centre are specially designed for that specific kit) or easily interchangeable with off the shelf replacements. I don't mind if I have to go outside of the norm, and get something a little bit customized for my needs, but for the most part if something were to go wrong I would not want to have to purchase some really expensive proprietary part and wait months to receive it, unless of course there is some huge benefit to such a piece. And, what type of warranty do you offer for your system, is it full replacement or other term? Oh, and last of all; If anyone has pictures that would be great. I've only seen a DSS system installed, would be graeat to see some of the others.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
I down in Ft Worth installing my GForce right now. We just finished getting everything bolted back up axles, center section. Now time to drop the tranny and install the McLeod, then finish with the brand new design aluminum driveshaft.

Chris from Gforce drove down from Wichita for the install and he is taking lots of pics for a couple magazine write-ups to follow.

So far the install is all plug and play. If anything, the cat back may have to be modded slightly but from eyeballing the housing and comparing it to the OE housing, i think the exhaust may fit fine? I went with the Strange S-trac 35 spline pumpkin with 3.50 gears. I have a bunch of pics but wont be able to post up till tomorrow or so.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
Old 02-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
I down in Ft Worth installing my GForce right now. We just finished getting everything bolted back up axles, center section. Now time to drop the tranny and install the McLeod, then finish with the brand new design aluminum driveshaft.

Chris from Gforce drove down from Wichita for the install and he is taking lots of pics for a couple magazine write-ups to follow.

So far the install is all plug and play. If anything, the cat back may have to be modded slightly but from eyeballing the housing and comparing it to the OE housing, i think the exhaust may fit fine? I went with the Strange S-trac 35 spline pumpkin with 3.50 gears. I have a bunch of pics but wont be able to post up till tomorrow or so.
I'd love to see those pics when you have an opportunity. Much appreciated. That's very impressive that a representative drove up there to help you with the install.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Thank you for including us as one of your choices.The Hendrix,DSS and LPE units as well as the upcoming Hammerhead unit reley on DSS for the axles and drive shafts for one reason,Frank knows more about cvs than anyone on the planet and has a new state of the art driveshaft balancer that is one of a kind and we continue to use his vast knowledge to build us what every we ask for.We have a few guys in canada that will be installing our 9 inch kitt in the next few weeks,if you will send me your general area maybe you can swing buy one of them and check it out first hand.The Hendrix/DSS kitt takes no mods to bolt in and looks factory once installed,i have over 25,000 miles on mine and its been great.You will have the option of going to bigger spline stubs ,just make sure you have the axle to take advantage .The Hendrix/LPE/DSS/Hammerhead axles are 30 spline,you need that for the heavy Camaro ,a 40 spline stub doesnt do much good if you have a 25 spline axle.We have a great following and have helped every GTO record holder reach his goals including the only 3 8 second GTOs as well as both 6 speed record holders,all using our products making simular power to your build.We are around 7 days a week,20 or so hours a day,if you have any questions give me a call anytime and ill be glad to go over a few key points,thanks again for including Hendrix-Engineering
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
Thank you for including us as one of your choices.The Hendrix,DSS and LPE units as well as the upcoming Hammerhead unit reley on DSS for the axles and drive shafts for one reason,Frank knows more about cvs than anyone on the planet and has a new state of the art driveshaft balancer that is one of a kind and we continue to use his vast knowledge to build us what every we ask for.We have a few guys in canada that will be installing our 9 inch kitt in the next few weeks,if you will send me your general area maybe you can swing buy one of them and check it out first hand.The Hendrix/DSS kitt takes no mods to bolt in and looks factory once installed,i have over 25,000 miles on mine and its been great.You will have the option of going to bigger spline stubs ,just make sure you have the axle to take advantage .The Hendrix/LPE/DSS/Hammerhead axles are 30 spline,you need that for the heavy Camaro ,a 40 spline stub doesnt do much good if you have a 25 spline axle.We have a great following and have helped every GTO record holder reach his goals including the only 3 8 second GTOs as well as both 6 speed record holders,all using our products making simular power to your build.We are around 7 days a week,20 or so hours a day,if you have any questions give me a call anytime and ill be glad to go over a few key points,thanks again for including Hendrix-Engineering
You can PM me on the locations of those shops installing the product, if any are local I'd be thrilled to pop by and take a look at the vehicle, and if

I appreciate your feedback much appreciated. Do you have a link with the specifics of your system? I recall looking at your site but, if I recall I may not have found everything I wanted (options, et al), feel free to send in a PM as well. I generally like to find out as much as possible, jot down questions and then at that point do final Q&A and then go from there.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
You can PM me on the locations of those shops installing the product, if any are local I'd be thrilled to pop by and take a look at the vehicle, and if

I appreciate your feedback much appreciated. Do you have a link with the specifics of your system? I recall looking at your site but, if I recall I may not have found everything I wanted (options, et al), feel free to send in a PM as well. I generally like to find out as much as possible, jot down questions and then at that point do final Q&A and then go from there.
Ill get something together for you,we love a smart shoper
Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
Ill get something together for you,we love a smart shoper
Not everybody does. Not trying to be difficult but this stuff is expensive, don't want to do it twice because I went with popularity. So, many thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Not everybody does. Not trying to be difficult but this stuff is expensive, don't want to do it twice because I went with popularity. So, many thanks.
No problem,we really love people that look at what there getting,not the wrapings. Its your hard earned money and we feel we have the best value by far,pm on the way.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
I'll be posting up BullF-16's 9" install probably tomorrow.
One guy took the old parts off and installed the 9" kit in about 4 hours.
Our kit bolts right up with a Strange Pro-Iron pumpkin with no modifications.

Give me a call and I can explain a few things like why we use 28 spline cv joints and axles (for strength) and how we fabricate everything here in house.

Thanks
Chris
Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE1320 View Post
I'll be posting up BullF-16's 9" install probably tomorrow.
One guy took the old parts off and installed the 9" kit in about 4 hours.
Our kit bolts right up with a Strange Pro-Iron pumpkin with no modifications.

Give me a call and I can explain a few things like why we use 28 spline cv joints and axles (for strength) and how we fabricate everything here in house.

Thanks
Chris
Chris, I've been communicating with BullF-16 and he's very impressed with your setup for sure.
I'd like the details, but would also like to understand more about the outlaw setup too. If you have something you could PM me that I can review that would be great. 1800hp is impressive for sure.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
Im sure if you give the thread a little time you will find that most of the fast cars are using our 9" kit, the reason for using the 30 spline axles was not a gimmick like some have said. Its what was needed. we have quite a few years of experience with this issue and found that the 28 spline axle was just not large enough. Ask Lingenfelter how they did with a 28 spline bar or maybe ask Mark Carlyle how his Vette ran 7.75 with our larger axles. its what needed in a heavy muscle car and only time will tell why, there is a reason all the fast cars have our kit. ask a few that have had the kit for a while. there are cars here on the board running both.

if your running a manual or a trans brake car its going to need the best available, that being said Lingenfelter will not post here but don't disregard there 9.5 its an excellent unit and has the numbers to back it up (also the 30 spline axles)

what gear ratio are you going with and whats the top MPH you hope the car to run, these questions should be asked to make sure you get the correct set up.

the Hammerhead 12 bolt will available soon also

Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
p.s. if you want a real nice diff we have the Wavetrac with a 33 spline that was custom made for us here at DSS that is a small option

Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Some additional information to help you guys with requirements short and long term.

In terms of speed it's really hard to say, I'm not a pro racer nor have any plans to be, but I'm a driver and plan to spend plenty of time over summer months on the track a drag and road course (I like both), I may even travel a bit to do some circle track. I want to drive the car hard into 7k/rpm. no issues with engine on that.

Basically, can't speak to speed numbers. However, the estimate is my vehicle will be capable of huge power beyond 1000+rwhp., I've been told lots of time was put into the planning and building of the engine so it's estimated to be capable of around 1400-1500hp. Short term we'll run it at about 780rwhp., but in the future we'll be pulling the SC for a bigger one, and using other tech to switch tunes based on type of driving.

Gearing not sure yet but either for sure 4.10+ (M6 lots of gear in 5th. and 6th.), need to find the right balance for both types of driving so that's still in the air (remember not being built specifically to be a dragster).

I'm not overly concerned about price. But, I want to do it once the right way so would rather overbuild than to underbuild and something breaks.because I didn't spend a few extra $. Feel free to PM if you have other questions. I know for sure I will.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
2010 BADSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Calbert, My husband and I both installed the DSS 9 inch rearend in our LPE 650 cars. We did the install ourselves and it was very straight forward, and does not require modification to your car. We are not quite at your power level, but I have MORE than put it through rigorous testing At CFest 2 I did the roadcourse and the drag strip. I have taken it to our local drag strip a couple times also, and I take it almost every 2 weeks to our local roadcourse (weather permitting). Here is a link to our install thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...version+LPE650 and here is a picture of it installed in my car.

Name:  drear.JPG
Views: 1216
Size:  131.2 KB
DSS 9" rear with 3.90 gear
Pfadt suspension/Hotchkiss chassis brace
Forgeline Wheels VR3S/Nitto tires

Beware of the LPE Sisterhood

Closed Thread