Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
motley1987

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Datalog results: knock retard??

I was having an issue with my engine sounding like it was laboring mostly when maintaining a constant speed when going up an incline or even sometimes on straightaways between 40 and 45 mph. BNR told me to datalog and send it to them and this is the response trifecta sent:

"There is a mechanical issue with this car. It shows knock retard constantly. There's a good chance it's false knock, probably a rattling exhaust or something else rattling. Please have it fixed and re log"

My questions are has anyone else had this diagnosis and if so what did you do to get it fixed? I dont hear a y rattling of the exhaust. I have an appt at the dealer Friday but have no idea wha to tell them to look at since I obviously can't tell them I was told this by trifecta. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Thanks!
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
motley1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
flash the stock tune, make sure it still runs badly, take to the dealer.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
It doesn't have to be something you can hear. GM vehicles are equipped with knock sensors to ensure the motor isn't in danger of blowing up. When they sense knock the automatically retard the timing of the vehicle. You can be picking up false knock from a few different things. An exhaust rattle or any sort of vibration in the motor will cause it. Or you could simply be running to much timing and setting off your knock sensors. What kind of fuel have you been running? If your Trifecta tune is set up for 93 octane and you're running subpar fuel that could be the reason right there. Like h2oplay mentioned. Return your tune back to stock and then retest your car. It might be an over aggressive tune as well.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
motley1987

I've been using 87 octane. I emailed BNR to see what octane the tune was set at. I'm going to reflash to stock today and see how it feels the next few days. Thanks for the responses.

Ben
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The tune isn't set at any specific octane. But if you're using 89, the ecu is pulling timing. If u want the least amount of knock retard, use 93

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
motley1987

Yeah, I think first I'm going to flash back to stock and see how that works. Then I'll start putting in the highest octane. That way I'll know if it's the tune causing the problems or the octane or something else.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I really need to get out and datalog my car again soon.