Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Indiana Rocket

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS VERT
Should I do this crazy idea?

Many of you may be aware of the troubles I've had with this car. For the amount of money it costs to drive it everyday it's just not worth it once you throw in the top issues and other problems I've had. I've actually tried to sell the car twice now but the deals were so bad I've decided to wait until spring where the market in Chicago is improved by around $2k...I think.

Now a crazy idea has slid it's way inside my brain and I wanted to run it by you. I have an upcoming trip to Japan and Malaysia. Because it's my wife's birthday that week I'm going to fly her and I from Chicago to San Francisco. Then we will rent a car and drive down the coast over 4 days to LA. I will depart from LA to start the trip to Japan and my wife will fly back from LA to Chicago. I was looking at renting a Convertible because there is no way I'm going to do that awesome drive from San Fran to LA in an "economy" class. It looks like from Sunday to Thursday a rental is going to be around $800.

So... I priced sending the Camaro on a truck to San Fran. It looks like it's around $900. Should I send the Camaro out there and just have the drive of my life before I sell it? I would have to sell her down around LA. I see there is some Carmax locations in the area. If they really try and low ball me it'll cost me another $900 to send it back so that is not part of the plan. I would like to give it a big hug and sell it in California and let her live a happy life away from the salt and snow.

I think this would be the perfect ending to the car of my dreams. What do you think? Does anyone live in the San Fran area that will let my car sit for a few days until I can time it right to pick it up for the road trip?

I'm Great At Taking Stuff Apart It's The Putting It Back Together That Gives Me Problems.
Indiana Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Indiana Rocket

Really nobody wants to tell me how stupid I am for even thinking about this idea?

I'm Great At Taking Stuff Apart It's The Putting It Back Together That Gives Me Problems.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Sounds like a lot of trouble and expense.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
You answered your own question.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rocket View Post
Many of you may be aware of the troubles I've had with this car. For the amount of money it costs to drive it everyday it's just not worth it once you throw in the top issues and other problems I've had. I've actually tried to sell the car twice now but the deals were so bad I've decided to wait until spring where the market in Chicago is improved by around $2k...I think.

Now a crazy idea has slid it's way inside my brain and I wanted to run it by you. I have an upcoming trip to Japan and Malaysia. Because it's my wife's birthday that week I'm going to fly her and I from Chicago to San Francisco. Then we will rent a car and drive down the coast over 4 days to LA. I will depart from LA to start the trip to Japan and my wife will fly back from LA to Chicago. I was looking at renting a Convertible because there is no way I'm going to do that awesome drive from San Fran to LA in an "economy" class. It looks like from Sunday to Thursday a rental is going to be around $800.

So... I priced sending the Camaro on a truck to San Fran. It looks like it's around $900. Should I send the Camaro out there and just have the drive of my life before I sell it? I would have to sell her down around LA. I see there is some Carmax locations in the area. If they really try and low ball me it'll cost me another $900 to send it back so that is not part of the plan. I would like to give it a big hug and sell it in California and let her live a happy life away from the salt and snow.

I think this would be the perfect ending to the car of my dreams. What do you think? Does anyone live in the San Fran area that will let my car sit for a few days until I can time it right to pick it up for the road trip?
Sounds like a great idea to me. You may want to contact CarMax and get some preliminary planning info regarding what they're willing to pay, process, etc.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Why can't you drive it from Chicago to SF?

If you are planning to sell it anyway, and you can enough more in LA than in Chicago to pay for it, and still be ahead, it may actually not be that bad of an idea. Just make sure you know what you can get for it before setting this all in motion.

Just out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of it?
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Honestly? I think it would be a blast...plus: Offer the car for sale during your trip. Perhaps a buyer will jump on it. If the $900-1500 it is going to cost you to move the car is not a problem for you, go for it.

Here is your flaw in your reasoning though: Let's say you move the car for $900 each way (which I doubt you will be able to do, as my last three car moves over 5 states were over $1,100 each). That is $1,800.00 out of pocket. Why not just sell it for the $2,000 you would lose by moving it NOW and then rent a convertible when you arrive in California?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Indiana Rocket

fielderLS3
"Just out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of it?"
it's too expensive to own it. Instead I should have gotten a Veloster or something that gets 38 MPG and had $15k to buy a used Corvette or something fast to play with on the weekends. The Camaro is awesome and I love it but coupled with the problems I'm just not willing to keep it as my fast car and get a junk car that gets 38 MPG.

"why not drive it to SF"
I don't have the time to dedicate to a cross country drive. I think it would take another 3 days? I may be able to do this and try and time it to pick up my wife. I will this about it a little more. I would hate to be away from the kids for an extra 3 days since I'll be leaving straight from Cali to Japan and Malaysia.

toesuf94 -
"flaw in reasoning" - perhaps but the plan is to send it to San Fran one way for the $900. I'm not sending it back for another $900 I'm selling it in LA. So it saves me the $800 for the car rental so I'm down $100 but I get to drive an SS instead of a V6 Mustang. I count that as worth $100. Now if they tell me $25k at Carmax it would suck and I would have to ship it back for another $900 instead. I believe that is low risk though.

The good news is that I have a friend in Santa Rosa so I could probably ship it to his house and then figure out a way to get there from SFO when I land. I am going to think about driving it cross country though. Probably get a chance to get it to maximum speed in NV which would be fun.

I appreciate the input and thoughts.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
OK, so you seemconvinced that shipping is the way to go. Here is my input as posted in another thread.

USE A REPUTABLE CAR SHIPPER!! The cheaper you ship it the more risk YOU are assuming. Chech the car completely and note any and all existing damage.

Have the driver sign a statement that there is NO damage to the vehicle.

Make sure that the shipping company is insured FOR YOUR VECHILE!

Make sure that they use an enclosed trailer MADE FOR SHIPPING CARS!! (paint rub sucks)

Make sure that someone inspects the vechile and does not pay until any damage is corrected or compensated.

Last but not least. Make sure that you are willing to accept that there could be damage to yor vehicle when it is shipped and willing to take the time to fix it or accept a lower selling price due to it. Someone also recommended getting a sales quote in advance. I would do that for sure. Nothing like paying to ship it and finding out that they have an abundance of those there and the value is actually lower there than where you currently are.

One last note. Car prices in Ca are no better than anywhere else inthe country. That's why you see a lot of people driving higher end cars there. Their salaries are higher but prices on cars and cloths are fixed throughout the country. Only homes and things manufactured there cost more. So DO NOT EXPECT TO MAKE A LOT MORE ON YOUR CAR THERE!
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
I say do it bro!!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Indiana Rocket

CarMax will give you a price that is good for 7 days regardless of how many miles you put on the car. So I could get it appraised in Chicago before I leave. Boy would the CarMax in LA be surprised to see the same car 2,500 miles later if I drove it. I'm checking with my brother to see if he's up for a road trip. But leaving Friday night means driving straight through to San Fran to get there Sunday at 11 am to pick up my wife from the airport.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
If you REALLY plan to sell it

If you SERIOUSLY plan to sell this Camaro Convertible, you should stop driving it immediately and put it in a garage if you have one to keep the miles low.

You shouldn't RISK being hit and run by anyone or causing any more wear-and-tear type of damage to the outside or on the inside. Being as you ALREADY have had bad luck with this car, statistically speaking something else bad more than likely is GOING to happen again and lead to more troubles.

I would focus on detailing the car, or being able to present it in as "brand-new" condition as possible.

You also could sell the car immediately since no matter what you do you're going to have to take a loss anyway.

Perhaps in the future you will find a car more suitable to meet all your needs and have a lot less stress.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
Indiana Rocket

Ragtop - since they replaced the ECM I haven't had any check engine lights return. It took them awhile to figure it out though. They replaced 2 O2 sensors and the gaskets around the fuel injectors before the ECM though.

I'm going to loose money on the car either way so the thought was why not have one last enjoyable experience in it before I let it go. You are right though. If I get into an accident all bets are off. At that point I would just have to keep it forever and ship it back home before I leave for the overseas trip.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
I always tend to think worse case scenario. Your idea sounds fun though.

I would just RENT a convertible but leave MY Camaro at home safe and sound in a locked garage.

What if you get hit by a HAIL STORM?

THEN it would be EXTREMELY hard to sell your car. All the U.S. has very strange weather these days. I would lock it up.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote