Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #15
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6+17'Tesla Model S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABMLS3 View Post
Get drag radials and it's be a lot easier
Whats a good rwhp number to shoot for to get into that range?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #16
kpwalls06
Cory

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6;
If you're doing headers, Cai, and exhaust, it won't hurt to look at cams and a tune to pull it all together. You can get a good amount of power with that.
kpwalls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #17
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Here's a simpler question. What kind of budget do you have to work with. Any one of us can list things all day thinking you have unlimited or high resources. So, what kind of budget are we working with? Don't forget, you can get decently priced items from the Martketplace section. Some are new items, other are used, but you can always get it at a good bargain.

No matter what you do, at the end of the day, get a tune. A tuner will make all the parts come together and work in harmony. Just do your research when it comes to finding a tuner. There are a lot out there that are good, and just as many that'll take you for what you're worth. Ask us for help because we've already been through it all.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:33 AM   #18
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
You came to the right section you must know a little

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explit Player View Post
Thanks, ive been here since 2012, but never posted in the powertrain section really. Mainly in cosmetics.

But the guy said he is "Blowing the doors off a Roush Mustang..."

So I'd think if he isnt lieing, he must be around 450-500hp in that car. Its very light also...

When the streetfights (legal civilian drag racing season) comes around, I'll see what he runs in a 1/4 mile. I'm gonna estimate from what he says, its gonna be around 11.6-12.3 sec run. What is the cheapest way to get a stock LS3 to 12.5 sec?

I cant use nitrous, or something that is gonna cost me thousands.... im only 16.

But, im really not a bad driver, I can handle my car very well. I was raised and trained on a high end V8s. Im ok for a little more power. So preferably dont say I cant handle it.

But whats the best route for a 12.5.. or even just a 13 flat?
Make sure you reset the ecu and are running 93 octane. The car should be in the 12.7-12.9 range stock. Headers and a tune will get you your 12.5 from there. If you have the money for Forced Induction a centrifugal supercharger will be the easiest to drive to a particular 1/4 mile time. You won't need much to run the 11's if your goal is to beat that civic.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
... but what is it?

Simple. Boost = a lot,and I mean, A LOT of cash (starting at $4.5k).
BUT... you get more power (&torque), speed, smile factor.
Things break, tires spin, smoke rises, mothers snatch their children up when you drive by, etc.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #21
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
Things break, tires spin, smoke rises, mothers snatch their children up when you drive by, etc.
Nah things never break lol
Quote:
Here's a simpler question. What kind of budget do you have to work with. Any one of us can list things all day thinking you have unlimited or high resources. So, what kind of budget are we working with? Don't forget, you can get decently priced items from the Martketplace section. Some are new items, other are used, but you can always get it at a good bargain.

No matter what you do, at the end of the day, get a tune. A tuner will make all the parts come together and work in harmony. Just do your research when it comes to finding a tuner. There are a lot out there that are good, and just as many that'll take you for what you're worth. Ask us for help because we've already been through it all.
What he said. Just enjoy your car. A lot of great people around here and sometimes some great entertainment.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post

Okn my budget is about 900$. Possibly raised up to 1200$ by summer.

Remember, im 16, and mom hates speed, so I have to make it work with what I have..
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #23
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Quote:

Remember, im 16, and mom hates speed, so I have to make it work with what I have..
Seriously, just save your money and enjoy the car for what it is when you get to drive it. You are very fortunate to get to drive an SS at your age. Save your money up, then when you are older and can afford your own payment, buy your own car, mod it with the money you saved.

If you are dead set on doing something, get a set of stainless power headers, a CAI, and a SCT handheld tuner from Jannetty Racing with a tune for the mods. Then as you buy more parts from him in the future he will send you new tunes for free. Make a deal with your mom to buy it from her in a few years so you don't end up wasting your money and having to start over with another car.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #24
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:

Dan brings up a good point about saving money. Then again, we've all been 16 so some of know what how you feel. With a $900 budget, you're very limited. I wouldn't be looking at any type of forced induction. To reach that point, you need to save big time. As far as a mod goes, look for a set long tube headers in the Marketplace. You don't need a tune, but you'll get the most by getting one. Headers will give you more power, and much more aggressive sound. Mom will approve. It'll make her a badass too.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #25
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Make sure mom understands you are voiding her powertrain warranty.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #26
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
Seriously, just save your money and enjoy the car for what it is when you get to drive it. You are very fortunate to get to drive an SS at your age. Save your money up, then when you are older and can afford your own payment, buy your own car, mod it with the money you saved.

If you are dead set on doing something, get a set of stainless power headers, a CAI, and a SCT handheld tuner from Jannetty Racing with a tune for the mods. Then as you buy more parts from him in the future he will send you new tunes for free. Make a deal with your mom to buy it from her in a few years so you don't end up wasting your money and having to start over with another car.
As long as I pass throug high school with good grades, dont get into bad stuff ( drinking, smoking, drugs) obviously I have the common sense not to start that stuff. She is giving me the car next year. I already have my truck, so it will be my Sunday/ project car.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #27
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
As long as I pass throug high school with good grades, dont get into bad stuff ( drinking, smoking, drugs) obviously I have the common sense not to start that stuff. She is giving me the car next year. I already have my truck, so it will be my Sunday/ project car.
Your doing something right to have a SS at 16. Keep saving your money and doing the right thing, eventually you will have enough to pay for your own FI build.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #28
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Yeah...at your age, leave it stock, maybe put a catback or axle back exhaust on for sound.
Really. Once you make the car payments, do what you want.