Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 04-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #631
Lambert367

Drives: Chevrolet SS
X25,

I am curious about your thoughts on how supportive the factory Z28 Recaros are at the track. When I look at them they seem a bit... roomy.

I have EVO X Recaros in my Corvette and they do nicely for track days. I would like to make sure the factory Camaro seats will work well before I spend the money on them. Otherwise I will go another route.
Lambert367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #632
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert367 View Post
X25,

I am curious about your thoughts on how supportive the factory Z28 Recaros are at the track. When I look at them they seem a bit... roomy.

I have EVO X Recaros in my Corvette and they do nicely for track days. I would like to make sure the factory Camaro seats will work well before I spend the money on them. Otherwise I will go another route.
The OEM Recaro seat is not perfect, and its biggest problem in my opinion is the height. It provides 1-1.5" less headroom with the manual version compared to regular SS seat, and still provides about 0.5" less headroom with the powered version (which is what I have). I am honestly not that worried about the side support since adding race harness (with ASM) substantially mitigates those issues.

Adding a real race seat to the car has quite a bit of complications. The car is designed with the OEM seats and its airbags in mind. With aftermarket seats, we're changing that set-up. We also need to simulate airbags in the seat, but no one is sure what happens to the rest of the airbags in an accident with that simulators in place; will they work? If they don't work, and if someone gets injured in your car, is it your responsibility or fault?

If you convert your car to an all-out track car, these questions become irrelevant. But for most of us, we intend to use the car at the street as well, and we need to think about it : )
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #633
Lambert367

Drives: Chevrolet SS
For me side support is a big concern. I don't intend to run a racing harness, and I really don't like the idea of a harness for lateral support. Headroom will not be an issue as I plan to install the seat in a SS "Sport Sedan" not the Camaro.

With that being said, minus the harness, how does the factory Camaro Recaro do from a side support standard at the track?

Airbag simulators for the seat airbags mean the rest of the airbags will function. (I have them in my Corvette). However the bigger issue is with the new multi stage airbags based on seating position when you replace the factory seat track you loose that functionality.

By using the Recaro I hope to avoid loosing that functionality as the seat tracks are the same. Worst case I would just have to transfer electronics.

My last question would be about the full electronic version of the Recaro. Do you notice any movement in the seat base itself? The factory seat in my SS does shift slightly under higher loads. Hopefully that is not the case with the full power Recaro. If it is I will opt for the manual version. I also figure there might be another reason GM installed the manual version only in the Z28 beyond weight savings...
Lambert367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #634
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert367 View Post
For me side support is a big concern. I don't intend to run a racing harness, and I really don't like the idea of a harness for lateral support. Headroom will not be an issue as I plan to install the seat in a SS "Sport Sedan" not the Camaro.

With that being said, minus the harness, how does the factory Camaro Recaro do from a side support standard at the track?

Airbag simulators for the seat airbags mean the rest of the airbags will function. (I have them in my Corvette). However the bigger issue is with the new multi stage airbags based on seating position when you replace the factory seat track you loose that functionality.

By using the Recaro I hope to avoid loosing that functionality as the seat tracks are the same. Worst case I would just have to transfer electronics.

My last question would be about the full electronic version of the Recaro. Do you notice any movement in the seat base itself? The factory seat in my SS does shift slightly under higher loads. Hopefully that is not the case with the full power Recaro. If it is I will opt for the manual version. I also figure there might be another reason GM installed the manual version only in the Z28 beyond weight savings...
I did not feel that powered version was any different compared to the manual version. I'm honestly yet to see a really stiff seat anyway; they all flex.

I don't think anyone has tried how simulators work and how the other airbags behave. We guess that the remaining airbags should work. Not very reassuring in my opinion : )

I fixed position sensor to far setting on my Miata, since my race seat is fixed and far away. If you have a slider, you could easily make it work like it's supposed to.

I did own an EvoX. If it's your minimum, SS Recaros might disappoint you in terms of side support.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 04-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #635
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Hey, you're still close by; I'd love to meet up and attend a track day together in one of those tracks.

My 2 cents on the issue:
I definitely would. Z/28, as a package, is designed and fine-tuned by GM engineers, and it is guaranteed to work well. When you go aftermarket, even if you pay a lot more, you can still screw up something in the process, and unless you are very skilled at the track, it would be hard to know if anything is wrong or could be better. The fact that we have an option like Z/28 suspension, in itself, is an incredible opportunity. For most other cars, you have to research into what works, and even after that, you'd never know if you've set it up optimally.

I installed Öhlins coilovers on my Miata about 2 years ago. Since then, I've changed my front springs 3 times, rear springs 2 times, sway bar settings 5-10 times, alignment at least 4 times, finally got them revalved for stiffer (track valving), and I am still not done fine-tuning, trying to find the best compromise in balance, traction, and stability. The core of the problem is that I can't test my car and keep working on its settings throughout a day at the track like suspension engineers do. Rather, I try something new the next time I go, but then the conditions are changed, I might even have switched to different tires, and it's next to impossible to fairly compare the results.
Appreciate the feedback! I'm really itching to pull the trigger on it. Any other mods you would recommend while installing the z28 suspension?
Also, I can't quite remember where in your thread, if I did read it at all, but did you happen to have a before and after ride height difference or measurement? I want to lower my car about an inch or inch and a quarter, but if this suspension upgrade does it all on its own I'd be very happy!
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:29 AM   #636
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
Appreciate the feedback! I'm really itching to pull the trigger on it. Any other mods you would recommend while installing the z28 suspension?
Also, I can't quite remember where in your thread, if I did read it at all, but did you happen to have a before and after ride height difference or measurement? I want to lower my car about an inch or inch and a quarter, but if this suspension upgrade does it all on its own I'd be very happy!
Yes, it does indeed lower the car. I believe it lowers about 33mm, which is about an inch and 1/3.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #637
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Hey, you're still close by; I'd love to meet up and attend a track day together in one of those tracks.

My 2 cents on the issue:
I definitely would. Z/28, as a package, is designed and fine-tuned by GM engineers, and it is guaranteed to work well. When you go aftermarket, even if you pay a lot more, you can still screw up something in the process, and unless you are very skilled at the track, it would be hard to know if anything is wrong or could be better. The fact that we have an option like Z/28 suspension, in itself, is an incredible opportunity. For most other cars, you have to research into what works, and even after that, you'd never know if you've set it up optimally.

I installed Öhlins coilovers on my Miata about 2 years ago. Since then, I've changed my front springs 3 times, rear springs 2 times, sway bar settings 5-10 times, alignment at least 4 times, finally got them revalved for stiffer (track valving), and I am still not done fine-tuning, trying to find the best compromise in balance, traction, and stability. The core of the problem is that I can't test my car and keep working on its settings throughout a day at the track like suspension engineers do. Rather, I try something new the next time I go, but then the conditions are changed, I might even have switched to different tires, and it's next to impossible to fairly compare the results.
I still want you to try the Kuhmo V720s.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #638
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I still want you to try the Kuhmo V720s.
If I can first finish up my current stash, I could give it a try. I have to say, though, the heavy weight of the tire seems to be a big negative.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 05-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #639
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
x25,

figured you'd be able to help me with this: what is required to install the z/28 flares?

i plan on doing the entire z/28 aero b/c i got the flares+skirts for a pretty sweet deal. if anyone is interested in picking some up, check out this ebay seller.

thx for any help
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #640
ozzy1le

Drives: 2015 camaro 1le
What a steal. All oem products. Good find
ozzy1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #641
Pushrod Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1le View Post
What a steal. All oem products. Good find
lol i couldn't believe it myself at first, but many people have vouched for the seller.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #642
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod Pete View Post
x25,

figured you'd be able to help me with this: what is required to install the z/28 flares?

i plan on doing the entire z/28 aero b/c i got the flares+skirts for a pretty sweet deal. if anyone is interested in picking some up, check out this ebay seller.

thx for any help
Fender flares bolt onto the front splitter and the rocker panels. Finally, the the rear fender flares meet with the z/28 rear diffuser. You really need all of them for it to look right.

Have fun! : )
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 05-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #643
X25

I just checked out that site. Incredible prices! I wish it existed last year
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 05-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #644
Pushrod Pete

thanks x25.

do the flares attach to the fenders with adhesive only?