Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
donaldblake

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS/RS
No Air

A few days ago, my air conditioner was blowing warm air. I called the dealer/service dept and asked if there were any issues with the air conditioners and after hesitating, he said no and to bring the car in for service. I took it to the dealer yesterday and the service manager told me that we'll get you taken care of and while you're here, let me make sure there's no recallls in the system for anything. Well, there was a recall on something to do with the air conditioner. Later, I was informed that the recall issue would of been a quick fix but because I did not know about the recall isssue, it caused my compressor to fail so they had to order me a new one. The service maanger also asked me if GM had sent me a letter informing me of the recall and I stated no. Well, the car is fixed now, if any of you received a recall notice, get it fixed so your compressor won't fail you and you won't be inconvenienced.
donaldblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Glad to hear you got your girl all fixed up.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
donaldblake, could you send me your VIN so I can check it over? I have yet to hear about a recall on the Camaro. Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Jeff-
This is what was posted in another thread for a BCM reprogram:

Service Information

Document ID: 2662479
#11160: Customer Satisfaction - Loss of Air Conditioning - Reprogram Body Control Module - (May 23, 2011)

Subject:11160 - Loss of Air Conditioning - Reprogram Body Control Module

Models:2011 Chevrolet Camaro

*THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MAY 31, 2013*

Condition:
Certain 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles may have a condition in which the air conditioning compressor may not turn on or turn off. This could cause the compressor to fail, resulting in a loss of air conditioning.

Correction:
Dealers are to reprogram the body control module.

Vehicles Involved:
Involved are certain 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles.
Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty Management system. Not all vehicles may be involved.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information:
No parts are required for this program.

Service Procedure:
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) with the calibration update. When using a MDI for reprogramming, ensure that is updated with the latest software version. Use TIS2WEB on or after 05/16/11 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.
Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming. <LI type=1>Reprogram the body control module (BCM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
2.1. Connect the MDI to the vehicle.

2.2. Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.

2.3. Select BCM Body Control Module -- Programming from the Supported Controllers screen.

2.4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Clear all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
Check the driver information center display for additional messages regarding further calibration instructions. If there are no additional driver information center instructions present, programming is complete.
Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada:

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information:

Submit a transaction using the table below.

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time
V2434
Reprogram BCM

Customer Notification - For US and Canada:

General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Customer Notification - For Export:

Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.

Dealer Program Responsibility:

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through May 31, 2013.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the involved vehicle listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service through May 31, 2013, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
Dear General Motors Customer:
We have learned that your 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro may have a condition in which the air conditioning compressor may not turn on or turn off. This could cause the compressor to fail, resulting in a loss of air conditioning.
Your satisfaction with your Camaro is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition.
What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will reprogram the body control module. This service will be performed for you at no charge until May 31, 2013 . After that, any applicable warranty will apply.
What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.
If you have any questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.
Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)
Chevrolet
1-800-222-1020
1-800-833-2438
Guam
65-6267-1752

Puerto Rico - English

1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español

1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands

1-800-496-9994

Courtesy Transportation: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Camaro provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.

Jim Moloney

General Director,
Customer and Relationship Services
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Thanks Moriartii. I looked at recall and couldn't for the life of me remember any documentation on a recall for the new Camaro. I appreciate your assistance!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
donaldblake

I thought the problem was fixed but the car is blowing warm air again so I have to take it back in tomorrow morning. Bummer, hopefully it will be fixed for the weekend.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
donaldblake

Took my car back and was told that it needs another compressor and that the new compressor might of gotten some dirt inside. There was also a burning smell and I was just cruising. Told that the fail compressor might of caused the burning smell. They are going to send some engineers to to check the car out and make sure there are no other issues before putting the 3rd compressor in. Now I'm getting a little pissed because I can't enjoy my car this weekend and we are having good weather. I just hope there are no other issues.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
tterb0331
Chuck Thunder

Drives: 2011 2SS
I was having the same issues with my car right after I drove it off of the lot back in October. Took it back in and they were really adiment about helping me out, seeing as how I just bought a brand new car from them. I don't think this notice was out at the time, so the mechs didn't really know what the problem was. Instead of ripping the entire HVAC system apart to find a leak, they recharged the refrigerant with an ultra-violet dye and gave the car back to me and told me to bring it back in a couple days so they could fix the problem...

Well, I had this nice shiny new car, and I was deploying to Afghanistan in about two weeks, so, of course, being in Hawaii, I just rolled the windows down and enjoyed every minute behind the wheel. I'll be back on Hawaii within two weeks and will need to get this issue finally fixed though. I'm hoping it's a really qucik fix though, because I've been dreaming about being behind the wheel again for the last 7 months...
Solo Performance High Flow Cats
Flowmaster AT Catbacks
QTP Electric Cutouts
AAC Dual Color Halos, Halo Foglights (awaiting install)
tterb0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
RS_Camaro
my dream car

Drives: Black 2011 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Funny that I just read this now because I unfortunately just came back from the dealership just 4 hours ago. I just bought my 2011 Chevrolet Camaro RS last month and until two weeks ago I started noticing that my air conditioning was not working. I remember smelling a burning scent but I thought it was the other cars around me and not my 2011 Camaro. I ignored it and my air conditioner that was blowing warm air because I thought I just needed to let the car loosen up being that I bought it brand new.
Recently I was looking at the weather forecast and I saw that we were due for a very hot day. Knowing that my a/c was not working well I decided to make an appointment to have it checked out. I was under the impression that it would be a quick, easy and free fix covered under my warranty.
The next day I show up to the dealership and as I was telling the adviser about my issues, a fax was printing over the copier. That fax was recall of Chevrolet Camaro air conditioners. The adviser told me that it shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes to resolve and that I should be ready to go soon.
Two and a half hours later and he calls me over and tells me that there is a big problem with my air conditioner. The compressor was broken and it can pose a safety risk if driven anymore. He told me that my rotating belt can break as a result of the compressor being broken and if that happens, the car is done. He said that if he told me how long or if my car will be fixed he would be lying because the compressor is recalled and is on back order. My heart sank because the fruit of my hard work was nothing but a lemon. I'm 22 years old and just graduated from college and just bought a 2011 Chevrolet Camaro RS, and after not even a full month of ownership I had to give it back and be forced to drive a god awful 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt.
As of right now, I do not know when my car will be fixed or if it will be fixed and neither does the dealership. For now, I'm stuck driving a dreadful cobalt and can only drive 100 miles a day even though my job sometimes causes me to have to travel long distances. Some things Chevrolet could have done better are give me a compatible car to my Camaro to at least make me a little happier about the situation, not enforce the rental restrictions being that the damage to my car is a recall, and I should have been given an estimated time for my car to be returned to me because I need it for work like now.
RS_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Lazzzr

Drives: Can't upload new car pics!!
That really stinks.Sorry to hear about another Camaro being out of service due to a bad part.I had the same problem with a re_designed gasket that held up my engine replacement for an extra week.On the bright side you will be getting the new part.I hope it gets done fast.Good luck.
Lazzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
Blown 386

Drives: 2010 victory red 2SS/RS
I had a tech reprogram my car for the exact same service issue. though my air conditioning was just fine when i took it in for some cosmetic work, they where just scraping for free warranty work. Anyways the programming they used tripped a bunch of codes. It took the techs from GM to rewrite the coding to fix my car. My car was down for roughly a week because of the bcm reprogramming, shut down several key safety features making the car unsafe to drive.
Blown 386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
tterb0331
Chuck Thunder

So in general, this "should" be a quick fix, but everybody that has been bringing in the cars to get this issue fixed has been having a lot of problems and in return having their car down for multiple days?

I haven't driven my car in 7 months, that's all I want to do, I don't want my car to be in the shop the first week I'm back in America.

Has anybody had this issue fixed without a bunch of complications?
Flowmaster AT Catbacks
QTP Electric Cutouts
Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #13
Dans2SS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Just had this done as well. Went last yr and they said there was a service bulletin for the car but they didn't have the program to do it. Never said what it was for though. Then the winter came and I more or less forgot until I scheduled an appt with them last week. This time it was a recall not a bulletin. I never received anything in the mail on it either. Thought recalls were sent to you.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
tterb0331
Chuck Thunder

They are supposed to send a letter.

Did you have any problems with getting it fixed?
Flowmaster AT Catbacks
QTP Electric Cutouts