Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Supercharger advice

After doing some soul searching, I decided to not sell my car and instead do what I've been wanting to do for the last 2 years and finally be able to say I am supercharged.

When I almost pulled the trigger a year ago I did a lot of research. Asked what was best, supercharger or turbo. Hearing the arguments, I know a turbo set up can be more efficient and effective in several ways but I decided I like the "Right now" idea of power, and ease of ownership of a supercharger.

My goals: To have a reliable daily driver. Not looking into having a 9-10 sec 1/4 mile monster but to have vehicle that is more fun to drive with trips to the drag strip probably once or twice a year. I'm never really hard on the car except for occasional spirited driving.

I currently have the stock LS3 with stainless works catback and CAI brand intake. Also 275/40-20 tires on front and 315/35-20's on rear.
I would have the supercharger installed with the included tune but plan on having a custom tune done when I have long tube headers installed at the same time. I also plan on an oil catch can, saving money for a new clutch when the stock clutch gives out, and stronger axles when those go as well.

I still have a couple of questions since this will be my first time owning/driving a supercharged car.
I'm torn on which kit to run. I know edelbrock has a nice stock look and sound to it but if I'm putting money down on a blower, I want it to be seen and heard 😁. I hear good things about the maggie systems, and know slp makes a good one too. Whipple seems to be the one for those who want to make big power so I'm not sure that's for me.
Also what should I expect being blown aside from being "blown away" haha.
What other upgrades should I consider for my goals and uses?
I know suspension is a big thing to consider, but what exactly needs done in that area? At least for my driving?

Thank you all in advance for any replies and your time!
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
Best Bang for the buck is the ADM/LSA kit, buy a long shot.

We have used all the systems you have mentioned and more.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
The two threads I started the las week will answer all your questions. Fyi, I went with SLP.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:09 AM   #4
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoChrisB View Post
The two threads I started the las week will answer all your questions. Fyi, I went with SLP.
Ahh, yes I remember reading them but didn't want to thread jack you with my questions. Most of the comparisons I read were mostly "go turbo/TT, its better and gives more power." I understood that they have great room for growth but was set on a top mount blower and wanted pros and cons of the different available options. Especially for my mild goals.

Why did you go with the SLP?
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I almost pulled the trigger on the Whipple, but decided I didn't need that much power. I ended up with SLP for 3 reasons:
1. I liked the look of the new SLP supercharger
2. I did a ton of research and didn't see any real issues
3. The shop installing and tuning my supercharger said SLP is the easiest install
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Your going to LOVE a nice topmount setup.Imo the Heart beat is the top dog period...the older style jackshaft would be my second chioce, either will put you where you want to be.If you would like to talk it over give me a call i can take care of everything on your list at an unbeatable price but more importantly give you the results your after without alot of nonsense. 980 521 0722 call anytime
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #7
PlatinumIce
WILD CANADIAN HEARTBEAT

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE RS, 2014 ZL1& 2024 ZL1
I just brought home my Camaro from just having the TVS2300 Heartbeat install. Fits nicely into the space of my 1LE under the strut brace.. No mods to the hood or scoop.
700/633 91Octane Street Tune=750/670 VP109 Race Tune TVS2300 Heartbeat SC,ADM Dual Fuel Pumps/ Module, BRM lowered 1", performance rotors, hawks pads, SS Braided lines, GT-14cam, 78mm pulley, AR LT Headers, Cat Deletes, Borla S catback, tinted, 1/LE emblems, 65lb Injectors, Elite catch can,dual valve springs, titanium retainers, super conductor wires and insulators, Robo Fab CAI, Oversize intercooler reservoir, Oracle ghost side markers, Black out Bowties & SS,ZL1 splash guards, Michelin PSS. Built and tuned by Davenport Motorsports (WILD1LE)
PlatinumIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I picked the Edelbrock E-Force back in 2010 because of it's stock look. If I was to do it today, I would either choose the E-Force or the SLP. I just never liked the Maggie with the jack shaft. More belts to worry about.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I picked the Edelbrock E-Force back in 2010 because of it's stock look. If I was to do it today, I would either choose the E-Force or the SLP. I just never liked the Maggie with the jack shaft. More belts to worry about.
The Heartbeat Maggie is a front drive. No jackshaft. I drove a LOT of miles with jackshaft Maggies. The next rear belt I have to change will be the first...
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Top mount "positive displacement" supercharger is the way to go.

SLP or Edelbrock E-Force would get my vote.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Old saying is "it only costs 10% more to go first class!" I'll speak from experience and tell you to never say you won't want more power. With that being said, I'd say don't let the 2.9L Whipple scare you away. Shop that installed/tuned mine said it was by far the simplest/easiest install of any other blower they had installed. What every you decide, you will love the extra pop! Enjoy
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Had I not gone with the AGP TT kit, I was going with ECS.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I have had 3 superchargers and 2 turbos on my car and I agree that if you are not looking for more than 750 horsepower the ADM/LSA conversion is the way to go. There are a lot of advantages to the simplicity of the system. And that is one really good little blower.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #14
Rumbumbees$ponsor

Drives: Autobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
After doing some soul searching, I decided to not sell my car and instead do what I've been wanting to do for the last 2 years and finally be able to say I am supercharged.

When I almost pulled the trigger a year ago I did a lot of research. Asked what was best, supercharger or turbo. Hearing the arguments, I know a turbo set up can be more efficient and effective in several ways but I decided I like the "Right now" idea of power, and ease of ownership of a supercharger.

My goals: To have a reliable daily driver. Not looking into having a 9-10 sec 1/4 mile monster but to have vehicle that is more fun to drive with trips to the drag strip probably once or twice a year. I'm never really hard on the car except for occasional spirited driving.

I currently have the stock LS3 with stainless works catback and CAI brand intake. Also 275/40-20 tires on front and 315/35-20's on rear.
I would have the supercharger installed with the included tune but plan on having a custom tune done when I have long tube headers installed at the same time. I also plan on an oil catch can, saving money for a new clutch when the stock clutch gives out, and stronger axles when those go as well.

I still have a couple of questions since this will be my first time owning/driving a supercharged car.
I'm torn on which kit to run. I know edelbrock has a nice stock look and sound to it but if I'm putting money down on a blower, I want it to be seen and heard ��. I hear good things about the maggie systems, and know slp makes a good one too. Whipple seems to be the one for those who want to make big power so I'm not sure that's for me.
Also what should I expect being blown aside from being "blown away" haha.
What other upgrades should I consider for my goals and uses?
I know suspension is a big thing to consider, but what exactly needs done in that area? At least for my driving?

Thank you all in advance for any replies and your time!

I have a Eforce kit for sale. It was sent in to Eldelbrock for vacuum leak. It was total rebuilt so basically new. Also comes with roto fab and headers, and a extra pulley.

I'm doing a built bottom end and going to AGP turbos to reach 1000 hp.. If you feel like 700 to 750 RWHP is all you will want stick with the smaller blowers, Also the the LSA or Eforce or 1.9 to 2.3 is good on a stock bottom end from H.E. words its hard to tear up a LS3 with these blowers.

PM if your interested or http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...03#post8210403
Attached Images

Last edited by Rumbumbees$ponsor; 02-09-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Rumbumbees$ponsor is offline   Reply With Quote