Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: Who should get the credibility?
Honda 0 0%
Aftermarket Companies 13 100.00%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Who should the credit go to?

When a car is heavily modified through aftermarket parts, is this really an example of the original suppliers car's performance? For the sake of argument, I'll use a Civic. Honda builds a small, economical car with no known intentions of it being used as a race vehicle. Let's just say you tear out the interior, engine, suspension, tires, wheels, etc., thus completely stripping the vehicle. You put in a forged 8 cylinder engine, twin turbo to replace the original one. You put in a pedders suspension setup, and put Mickey Thompson drag radials on it. You replace the seats with lightweight racing seats, as well as leave nothing in the car that can be as expendable weight. Admittedly this is a fast ride, however is this an achievement of Honda's engineering, or the aftermarket companies?

(Disclaimer, I really don't know that much about modifying Hondas so I might have gottten some aftermarket suppliers wrong lol, but names are not the point; the point is replacing the parts with something unrelated to Honda.)
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Whoever did the work =p
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Dare

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
How could you even make an argument that the credit goes to Honda when you state "the point is replacing the parts with something unrelated to Honda"? With what your saying basically the only thing that is Honda is the frame and body. Giving Honda credit (with your example), would be like giving the city credit for a car being so fast because the street is paved well to drive on...
2500 = Order Preferenced 1/26/10
3000 = Order Accepted by Production Control 1/27/10
3100 = Order Sequenced for Production 1/29/10
3300 = Order Scheduled for Production 1/29/10 (TPW 2/8/10)
3400 = Order Broadcast 1/30/10
3800 = Order Produced 2/11/10 #93182
4000 = Vehicle Available to Ship 2/17/10
4200 = Vehicle Shipped 3/1/10
5000 = Vehicle Delivered to Dealer 3/8/10
6000 = Delivered to Customer
3/9/10
Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Whoever you bought the parts off of. If you only went through one supplier, like your local racing shop, then the kudos should go to them.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Kind of like NASCAR, the automaker plays a very insignifigant role.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
When a car is heavily modified through aftermarket parts, is this really an example of the original suppliers car's performance? For the sake of argument, I'll use a Civic. Honda builds a small, economical car with no known intentions of it being used as a race vehicle. Let's just say you tear out the interior, engine, suspension, tires, wheels, etc., thus completely stripping the vehicle. You put in a forged 8 cylinder engine, twin turbo to replace the original one. You put in a pedders suspension setup, and put Mickey Thompson drag radials on it. You replace the seats with lightweight racing seats, as well as leave nothing in the car that can be as expendable weight. Admittedly this is a fast ride, however is this an achievement of Honda's engineering, or the aftermarket companies?

(Disclaimer, I really don't know that much about modifying Hondas so I might have gottten some aftermarket suppliers wrong lol, but names are not the point; the point is replacing the parts with something unrelated to Honda.)
Honda's big deal was they built a nice solid car with a great suspension set up front and rear. It was a great building block for tuners start with because of that. They were in high quantity and could be had for a reasonable price.

But to your question, if you are modifying to the level you describe??? Honda had very little to do with that.

But if you want to give Honda credit in the tuner market for mods (both perforarmance and asthetic) I'd give Honda credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Kind of like NASCAR, the automaker plays a very insignifigant role.
You don't count putting up the $$$$ as a significant role??? LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You could do the same to a shopping cart, yet you wouldnt say that it was a great shopping cart.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Honda's big deal was they built a nice solid car with a great suspension set up front and rear. It was a great building block for tuners start with because of that. They were in high quantity and could be had for a reasonable price.

But to your question, if you are modifying to the level you describe??? Honda had very little to do with that.

But if you want to give Honda credit in the tuner market for mods (both perforarmance and asthetic) I'd give Honda credit.

You don't count putting up the $$$$ as a significant role??? LOL
So is it more credible to their respective car companies if a Camaro hits a 12.6 stock, or is it more credible when a highly-modified Civic hits an 8.5?
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote