Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Camaro117

Drives: Yellow 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Boston acoustic Vs Bose

so I've had this comparison sitting in the back of my head for a while now... So before I got my camaro 3 weeks ago I came from a 2008 Sierra Denali with the Bose system in it. Of course the denalis and caddys come with a upgraded Bose system over the normal Bose that's in normal sierras and silverados it comes with a better amp and a center speaker and sub. Anyway, I like the Boston acoustic system in the camaro, and of course I've seen a lot of posts about how it's not great and could be better but for a oem system I think it's pretty good. I'm 22 I like rock and rap and like my music loud and thumpin. I'm just wondering if any of you guys that have a Sierra or Silverado or Tahoe or suburban or Denali what you guys think the Bose system in those compared to the Boston system, which do you think is better? I kinda wanna say the Bose system in the truck is a little better, it had the surround sound option and maybe a little clearer but anyway! Tell me what you guys think! Anyone ever done a Bose to Boston comparison
Camaro117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
The Bose system in the 2013 Avalanche LTZ I had was way better than the Boston system in the Camaro. The Camaro with Boston benefits tremendously from an amp replacement.

I had a 2004 Avalanche prior to the 2013, and I had replaced the stock Bose amp in it with a Bose amp from an Escalade. It made a decent improvement in the 2004. Sadly, we have no OEM upgrade path for the Camaro.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
can't say factory systems impress me much(even the Mark Levinson systems), since there are so many good AM car audio brand choices.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I have a 15 and the Boston system really isn't that bad. I'm in a band and have a recording studio at my house, so I have a good idea about sound. I've seen the criticism of the BA setup and I've found that a little time tweaking the EQ and feeding it a good source (XM sucks, as do low sample rate MP3) and it really is adequate. The mirror will bounce with the bass enough that it's unusable... but still adding a sub for slightly more impact.
The Bang and Olufsen setup in my other car is brighter and has better imaging. My cure for the camaro will be adding a BBE processor to fake the imaging and swapping stock tweeters for aftermarket.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
I have a 15 and the Boston system really isn't that bad. I'm in a band and have a recording studio at my house, so I have a good idea about sound. I've seen the criticism of the BA setup and I've found that a little time tweaking the EQ and feeding it a good source (XM sucks, as do low sample rate MP3) and it really is adequate. The mirror will bounce with the bass enough that it's unusable... but still adding a sub for slightly more impact.
The Bang and Olufsen setup in my other car is brighter and has better imaging. My cure for the camaro will be adding a BBE processor to fake the imaging and swapping stock tweeters for aftermarket.
Just a note: You'll always be fighting that stock amp. The Boston system applies an EQ at the amp, not at the head unit. Yes, there is a 3 band EQ on the head unit (Bass/Mid/Treble), but there is an EQ that is applied at the amp. That is why when you get to a certain volume level, the bass starts to drop off.

The stock Boston speakers are really fairly good once you replace the stock amplifier.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
can't say factory systems impress me much(even the Mark Levinson systems), since there are so many good AM car audio brand choices.
The Mark Levinson in the LS460 is pretty damn good. I want to hear the Panaray system.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #7
jdagsxr

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible
My Bose system in my Escalade is way better then my BA system in my Camaro. One of the first changes I made was to my car was the stereo.
13 vert. Blacked out tint, Foose rims, blacked out bow ties, elite catch can, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, vintesse throttle body controller, blacked out side markers, jl audio sub in sub***** box, fark harness, jl audio amps, Blue footwell light front and rear, Kingpen Industries wind deflector, Pfadt lowering springs, MGP caliper covers.
jdagsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
Camaro117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdagsxr View Post
My Bose system in my Escalade is way better then my BA system in my Camaro. One of the first changes I made was to my car was the stereo.
What did you change on it?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
Djinn

Drives: 2LT/RS
The BA system in the Camaro is straight up junk. That's why I had to replace every component of the system in my '11. Got tired of blowing the OEM front speakers and replacing them just to blow them again. And I NEVER turn the radio up above 12, no reason for them to blow out...and lets not talk about the 6x9's...
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Camaro117

Didn't they upgrade or change something with the BA system for 12s and up? Seems like I heard that somewhere
Old 07-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
The BA system in the Camaro is straight up junk. That's why I had to replace every component of the system in my '11. Got tired of blowing the OEM front speakers and replacing them just to blow them again. And I NEVER turn the radio up above 12, no reason for them to blow out...and lets not talk about the 6x9's...
Sounds like you actually have/had an amp fault.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
The Bose system in our old Tahoe was pretty nice... the Alpine system in my Ridgeline is real nice... the Sony system I had in my 15 Ford Explorer Sport was real nice!

There are times I think the BA system is great... then there are other times I think it needs work. Depends on source and song sometimes... weird.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I had a Bose system in my '03 CTS, and have Bose in my 2012 Acadia... Both sound/sounded quite a bit better than the BA in the Camaro, although I wouldn't call the BA system junk. Bass is pretty weak, but with the right input it's not all that bad.
Unless I'm on the highway for a fairly long stretch, I find that I usually have it turned off so I can hear the motor anyway!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #14
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
The difference between Stock-A and Stock-B is still "OEM", please remember that OEM systems rarely have equivalent counterparts on the open market. These are more often than not, specifically custom made to order models to win a lowest bid contract. Similar to shopping at an outlet mall for clothes or electronics at Walmonkey, the model number might be similar (if at all) but is an inferior product. If you need a better description, go to parts-express or MCMelectronics and look for the cheapest pair of car audio speakers they offer. We're talking $5-10/pr.

The reason these systems sound so different is basically something called staging. The volume of air in the cabin of a Tahoe is different than a Camaro and is different than a single cab Silverado. The positions of the seats, the distances from the speakers, the number of speakers, the type of carpet used, how much glass is present etc. It's like comparing the same concert from the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA to the Jones Hall in Houston.

From rereading the initial post, the OP appears to be asking which stock concert hall we liked. I recently enjoyed the system from a Hyundai Genesis and I do not expect the OEM system from the 6th gens to be much different than the 5th gens.

If there is an 'upcharge' at point of sale on a factory option, it is a pure profit item. I strongly suggest that instead of paying the manufacture for the "upgraded" stereo from the plant, you find a dealer that has a partnership with a reputable local stereo shop or willing to work with you on getting it installed. I have seen a $1,000 "upgrade" to simply mean adding $5 baffles behind the speakers and adding a USB connection. Please note, you are buying the car from the dealer in which you agreed to (Not the manufacture). That dealer has the ability to send the car to a stereo shop, upgrade the system and bring it back to the lot and then allow you to finance the entire purchase. There are many aftermarket options available in the purchase of your vehicle, please see your local dealer(s).
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote