Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
5thGenCamaroChick
Hey y'all :)

Drives: Rosalee
Stuff stuck on rocker panels

Hey everyone... I need some (again ). I live near Chattanooga TN. I dunno if any of you have been following the news/weather lately but we've had massive flooding the last couple of weeks. After the flood waters receded they left some SERIOUS gunk on the roads. Besides that I couldn't wash my car for about 2 weeks due to the continuing downpours (well, i did have 1 small window of opportunity but I got into an oil change nightmare and the opportunity passed... long story). I was finally able to give her a bath yesterday and I have a lot of mud and junk that's stuck on my rocker panels. Yesterday I sprayed water on them and let it set while I cleaned the wheels hoping it would loosen up a bit, then I washed her twice with Meguiar's Gold Class, hot water and a microfiber mit. Most of it came off but there's still some stuff that won't budge. I also tried some quick detailer, microfiber cloth and a little pressure. What should I do? Clay bar?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
My next step would be to spray the area with a 50/50 mixture of simple green, let soak for 5-10 minutes, then wash with the area with the soap and mitt again. You're wax will be gone, but your need to get the gook off anyways.

I frequently use the simple green soak and then hit the area with the power washer without getting too close. I know some people are scared of power washers but I have held the nozzle right on the paint on several cars for years and never damaged anything. Loose or lifting paint on a rusty old car will shoot right off, but thats not the case here.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Bug and Tar remover by Turtle Wax, this stuff works great.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,11
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
5thGenCamaroChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Bug and Tar remover by Turtle Wax, this stuff works great.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,11
I have some aerosol spray bug-n-tar stuff, but it runs everywhere so you have to wash the car after using it, and I'd really rather not wash it again if I can get away with it. I checked out the link you sent and that stuff said it's gel so it'll cling under there, which is good. It also said:

"Not only will it clean, this product also leaves a shiny protective wax barrier that helps prevent future bugs and grime from sticking to exterior surfaces."

So does this mean I don't have to wash it off?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I prefer 'Stoners' "Tarminator" which works very well.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
For cleaning the lower rocker panels, its nice to have a couple things on hand. First being a clay bar and second, an all purpose cleaner. I havent come across anything that one or the other hasnt been able to remove. Everyone will have their favorite products, but if you need any, we do have a clay bar package and lots of all purpose cleaners, however, for this area, I definitely prefer either Poorboys APC or Optimum Power Clean.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
5thGenCamaroChick

Thanks for all the help guys. Turns out I had some Tarminator and Gunk bug and tar remover. Tried em both, stuff ain't coming off. I guess I'll try the clay bar.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Tyrell Industries

Drives: IOM 2SS
These things are awsome for getting stuff off paint safely.I ran through some road paint(yellow paint for the lines),and didn't know till a few days later(had been raining ,and it was muddy).I used this bug and tar scrubber,and it took it all of without scratching the paint.You just have to make sure it's wet with car wash.

http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html
Tyrell Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
Unique Auto Depot

Drives: Camaro 2010
some one once told me Xylene works well
Unique Auto Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
Tyrell Industries

Drives: IOM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletAnything View Post
some one once told me Xylene works well
The term xylene or xylol refers to a mixture of three aromatic hydrocarbon isomers which is used as a solvent in the printing, rubber, and leather industries. Xylene is a clear, colorless, sweet-smelling liquid that is very flammable. It is usually refined from crude oil in a process called alkylation. Like other solvents, xylene is also used as an inhalant drug for its intoxicating properties.

I would not put that on paint.
Tyrell Industries is offline   Reply With Quote