Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #15
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilangel View Post
Was this a kit that you bought? If so..from where? One last question - how much boost are you running?
yes its a kit, although ive made some changes to the crossover pipe, and slight cold pipe changes. its from www.powerhouse411.com

from 8.86 to 14.4 psi with the push of a button (9, 12, 14psi settings, but boost varies)
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
fazm, I wanted to ask you just to give an idea to the other members on here of what it costs to convert a N/A 6cyl such as the mustang with the kit, could you give us an idea of what you paid total with installing everything? Did you have to upgrade the transmission? What other costs were associated with converting to F.I.?

Last edited by SS4EVER; 10-23-2008 at 11:55 PM.
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:25 AM   #17
andyrew

Drives: Audi A4 STG3, Porsche 914 v8
http://www.web-cars.com/math/qtr_mile.html
430hp.. I assume thats with sticky tires and perfect everything.. so maybe 475hp...

So.. a turbo, and sticky tires... and all the supporting mods.
andyrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
To give you an idea.

Let's look at a 350Z or a Pontiac Solstice/Sky for comparison.

The Nissan 350Z having a N/A V6 would probably be the closest to compare to a V6 Camaro. They both have around the same HP too.

According to turbokits.com http://www.turbokits.com/350Z_turbo_kits.html
There are four turbo kits available for the 350Z...
Two single turbo kits for $4795 & $4895
Two twin turbo kits for $6895 & $8895

Now, if you don't have the know how and don't install it yourself it's also going to cost you labor to get done professionally.

You'll also need supporting mods such as...
Transmission = upgrade clutch and/or flywheel
Electronics = boost controller, turbo timer, etc
you may also have to upgrade axles, possibly suspension...

And for running high boost applications you probably would have to upgrade the internals, either by getting a re-inforced block, cams, pistons, etc.... Those aren't cheap either...

Oh and you'll have to tune it as well.

So there's more than you think.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #19
Evilangel

Drives: 2003 Evo(450hp) , 95 CamaroZ28
I see your point, but there will be people who can't afford the V8 or its gas consumption for that matter, and will want to mod their Camaros later on. I do believe the aftermarket support will be better than the 350z's, which is quite pricey comparedto other cars like the Evo or Ls1 based vehicles ( I have a friend who owns a modded 350z ). With the way this Camaro will hopefully sell, there will be a large demand. I know what you mean when you say that there is more than you think, once I started modding my car for serious hp I went through 2 clutches and had to put t-bolt clamps and Samco hoses on everything because my intercooler pipes kept pooping off everytime I went WOT. Not to mention all the fuel upgrades.
Evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:22 AM   #20
Dom

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Hello. First let me say to that I am well aware that the SS V8 Camaro owns all and is the best platform for modifications, so no need to remind me. I want the V6 for the gas mileage and when it's paid off then I'd like to mod it. Anyways I've noticed that currently there are v6 mustangs that are in the 11 and even 10 seconds in the quarter mile ( Heck, my 4 banger is in the 11's ). I know anything said here is speculation, but what do you think it would take to Mod the new DI V6 maro into the 11's? Bolt-ons? Cams? Tuning? FI? Internals? All of the above. With the way these cars will sell, and the way the aftermarket has supported the V6 mustang I'm sure people will get there, I just want your help speculating until then.
You know you're going to get much worse gas mileage after you mod it. If you want to get into the 11s I highly suggest the SS. It will cost you much more to buy the V6 and mod it then to buy a V8 and mod it. You will need expensive mods for the 6, while the 8 can get there with the stock engine. There are plenty of converter only 4th gens in the 11s. Trust me on this one, I've seen many V6ers spend a ton of money and end up with a highly unreliable track only car in the end. If you have all this money for mods, you surely have money for gas.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:23 AM   #21
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
You know you're going to get much worse gas mileage after you mod it. If you want to get into the 11s I highly suggest the SS. It will cost you much more to buy the V6 and mod it then to buy a V8 and mod it. You will need expensive mods for the 6, while the 8 can get there with the stock engine. There are plenty of converter only 4th gens in the 11s. Trust me on this one, I've seen many V6ers spend a ton of money and end up with a highly unreliable track only car in the end. If you have all this money for mods, you surely have money for gas.
not necesarilly, there are aussies with 700hp LSx engines with 30Mpg
Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 AM   #22
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
not necesarilly, there are aussies with 700hp LSx engines with 30Mpg
I don't know what I said that made you say that.

Aussies are good with cars.

My point was, don't heavily mod the 6. In the end it's better to have a stock V8 then a modded V6 even if both run the same. Trust me from experience on this one. I plan on upgrading the suspension and doing intake/exhaust.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:30 AM   #23
Evilangel

Quote:
Again, I agree. I know the LS is a better platform. It's just that for now I'd like the V6 for gas mileage purposes until it is no longer my daily driver, then mod it, still not sure yet though. Then I won't care about the gas mileage once it is no longer my daily driver.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:32 AM   #24
Evilangel

Quote:
I don't know what I said that made you say that.

Aussies are good with cars.

My point was, don't heavily mod the 6. In the end it's better to have a stock V8 then a modded V6 even if both run the same. Trust me from experience on this one. I plan on upgrading the suspension and doing intake/exhaust.
Hey Dom, off topic but I just noticed that you're from Rockford, have you found your Chevy dealer yet? I might go with Newman out in WI because they will honor my supplier's discount.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:34 AM   #25
Dom

Quote:
Again, I agree. I know the LS is a better platform. It's just that for now I'd like the V6 for gas mileage purposes until it is no longer my daily driver, then mod it, still not sure yet though. Then I won't care about the gas mileage once it is no longer my daily driver.
Sounds good. You'll save $8K right off the bat.

That 3.6 is a highly advanced engine. Can't wait to see what it can do with mods. I wonder if there are any mods out for it since it's already in the Caddy.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #26
Evilangel

Quote:
Sounds good. You'll save $8K right off the bat.

That 3.6 is a highly advanced engine. Can't wait to see what it can do with mods. I wonder if there are any mods out for it since it's already in the Caddy.
From what I understand D3 the co. that mods cadillacs including the DIV6 CTS are already making plans.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:39 AM   #27
Dom

Quote:
Hey Dom, off topic but I just noticed that you're from Rockford, have you found your Chevy dealer yet? I might go with Newman out in WI because they will honor my supplier's discount.
If everything goes fine financially I plan on getting one in the summer. I hope they have their employee price deals during that time. I think I have a suppliers discount also. I haven't checked which is lower. It will save me about $3K. I also hope to be able to use at least $1K from my GM card rewards. No dealer picked out. Will look when I'm ready to buy.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:16 AM   #28
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
fazm, I wanted to ask you just to give an idea to the other members on here of what it costs to convert a N/A 6cyl such as the mustang with the kit, could you give us an idea of what you paid total with installing everything? Did you have to upgrade the transmission? What other costs were associated with converting to F.I.?
the required upgrades?

turbo kit 4500
limited slip diff 200+ (depending on what you want to do)
driveshaft 300-500

if you are an auto, the trans is ok, otherwise the T5 needs to be upgraded.
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote