Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #43
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoStateDogs View Post

Skip to the second car.
This makes me want a GT500 even more. That's what makes me like cars. Being scared is part of the excitement.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #44
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
This makes me want a GT500 even more. That's what makes me like cars. Being scared is part of the excitement.
With the Venom GT sure, its scary fast.

With the GT500, its too much engine for the chassis and he states (and so has others) that it doesn't have enough brakes. That isn't scary fast, because you are trying to slow down and can't..... thats just a poorly engineered car.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #45
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post

With the GT500, its too much engine for the chassis and he states (and so has others) that it doesn't have enough brakes. That isn't scary fast, because you are trying to slow down and can't..... thats just a poorly engineered car.
Many people race GT500s and they swap to race pads and dot4 brake fluid which solves the problem. Does anyone seriously races on a track without race pads anyway?
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #46
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
90% of the guys who buy these two cars are parking lot chest thumpers so the GT500 wins that hands down.

jmo
Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #47
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
With the Venom GT sure, its scary fast.

There have been many conflicting reports about the brakes on the GT500. It sound like it's a pretty simple fix. Besides I don't know where in the streets that you would ever push that car hard enough to where out the brakes without ending up in jail. I think for whatever reason that guy is full of crap. there are many people that have these cars and do run them at tracks with very little problems. Maybe that skinhead just doesn't know how to drive. That three wheeled car and the first gen Viper are the only two cars on that list that I completely agree with.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #48
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Many people race GT500s and they swap to race pads and dot4 brake fluid which solves the problem. Does anyone seriously races on a track without race pads anyway?

I'm sure there are, I would bet there are people on this site that do just that on the weekend with OEM pads.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #49
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Had a 2010 GT500 and drove it for 2 years. Loved the car but at high speeds when turning or changing lanes the car had a lot of vertical motion. I like excitement as much as the next guy and am always up for a challenge but it was frustrating to have to back off because of this. Lost several races as a result. The car just didn't feel planted above 80 mph with any imperfection on the road surface. Night and day different feeling from the ZL1..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #50
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Besides I don't know where in the streets that you would ever push that car hard enough to where out the brakes without ending up in jail. I think for whatever reason that guy is full of crap. there are many people that have these cars and do run them at tracks with very little problems. Maybe that skinhead just doesn't know how to drive. That three wheeled car and the first gen Viper are the only two cars on that list that I completely agree with.
I'm inclined to agree with most of that and that the video was all about finding fodder to crack jokes over (like the lame dig at the Viper's side curtains that he's too young to understand). The most consistent theme through the video was too much power - whether that was too much power relative to the chassis or the tires or too much outright being secondary. To me, that says "too much power for skinhead to consistently stay within HIS limits with".

I'd go a little further and suggest that he's been brainwashed into believing that letting the nannies have ultimate override authority over the driver would be a good thing.

If he's so afraid that 600-ish HP in a Shelby Cobra was too much for him to drive it that 11th time or that 662 is too many for the GT500's live axle on a bumpy corner, he shouldn't even be thinking of cracking the whip on all of them. It really is that simple.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #51
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoStateDogs View Post

Skip to the second car.
I stopped watching when he said, "Cars that are more dangerous than heart disease."

Heart disease kills almost 1 in 4 Americans per year. That is ~616,000 people per year.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #52
jordan 572

Drives: none
Hopefully there tests are valid as they don't even know how many valves the zl1 has.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #53
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-little-perspective View Post
I stopped watching when he said, "Cars that are more dangerous than heart disease."

Heart disease kills almost 1 in 4 Americans per year. That is ~616,000 people per year.
There is a flaw in your statement.... there are more then three hundred million Americans. If it killed almost one in four every year that would be seventy five million each year roughly.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #54
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
Quote:
There is a flaw in your statement.... there are more then three hundred million Americans. If it killed almost one in four every year that would be seventy five million each year roughly.
You're right, I should have rephrased it. Heart disease accounts for nearly 1 out of 4 deaths in America. http://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

The point is that none of those cars are remotely close to being as dangerous as heart disease. Maybe as dangerous as Varicella (chickenpox) in adults, but not heart disease.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #55
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-little-perspective View Post
You're right, I should have rephrased it. Heart disease accounts for nearly 1 out of 4 deaths in America. http://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

The point is that none of those cars are remotely close to being as dangerous as heart disease. Maybe as dangerous as Varicella (chickenpox) in adults, but not heart disease.
I have one word for ya'; hyperbole
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #56
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Drive a Porsche Cayman for a couple days and then get into either of these cars and you might fully understand what they mean by "driver's car". But, all things considered, I would rather own either of these than ANY other country's best.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote