Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
BLK2SS

Drives: Black 2SS
I did mine using the standard jack stands you can get at any auto parts store. This was the easiest car I've ever done the exhaust on. It took 3 1/2 hours to do the complete exhaust from headers all the way back.
BLK2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #16
Jakefeb3

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss
How high does your jack go? The highest I can find at the stores is around 14 1/2"
Jakefeb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Instructions are in the box with your headers. Race ramps are too low for this install.

Sears $99.00 special 3 Ton Jack, (2) Jack Stands, and a creeper. My jack with a 19 3/4" lift (Approximately 1.64ft) is perfect for customer in home installs when we are on the road installing in their personal garages.

Need a quote on Headers? PM or call me direct. Cell 210-954-4985. Owner Al Tillman.

Our install rates... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=labor
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #18
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
2 feet?? Wow! If you take the height of the bottom of the car to the ground, then I think the 12" height should work, right?

I put the race ramps on the downward facing slope of my driveway. I think I get about 1 3/4' from the ground. I'll check on Friday when I change the transmission oil...Otherwise, to Sears I go! :(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #19
2Tightwads
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
2 feet?? Wow! If you take the height of the bottom of the car to the ground, then I think the 12" height should work, right?

I put the race ramps on the downward facing slope of my driveway. I think I get about 1 3/4' from the ground. I'll check on Friday when I change the transmission oil...Otherwise, to Sears I go! :(
No, read post # 17 above.

Your also going to kill yourself if your using ramps or any other lifting method to lift a car on anything but an even flat surface (no downward slopes). Read the directions.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Ok, then to the store I go...I do my oil changes and all the under car work this way - skip shift install, Hurst shifter install, changed the differential fluid. I put 2 jacks under the car and 4 wheel chocks. Never had an issue and it gives me lots of room; backward facing or forward facing down the driveway. Thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 11-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #21
Jakefeb3

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss
I just got back from sears. They sold me it for 129.99. I'm setting up and getting ready for a thanksgiving install. Anyone want to suggest any supplies I buy first? Just assume the worst and help me learn
Jakefeb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #22
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Ok, how does one get that huge 3 ton jack under the car? My Beast is lowered and has the GFX on it and I don't see where that jack would fit!!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #23
2Tightwads
Banned

Quote:
Ok, how does one get that huge 3 ton jack under the car? My Beast is lowered and has the GFX on it and I don't see where that jack would fit!!
Use ramps or a low profile jack to lift the car up enough to get the larger jack under the car. Your lift points are listed in the user manual with your vehicle. Very important you read it and apply it when lifting a uni-body car.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #24
2Tightwads
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefeb3 View Post
I just got back from sears. They sold me it for 129.99. I'm setting up and getting ready for a thanksgiving install. Anyone want to suggest any supplies I buy first? Just assume the worst and help me learn
Everything you need to install headers on a 2010 Camaro...

http://www.planetlsx.com/tech/How_To...0_Camaro_SS/98
Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
Use ramps or a low profile jack to lift the car up enough to get the larger jack under the car. Your lift points are listed in the user manual with your vehicle. Very important you read it and apply it when lifting a uni-body car.
Great idea! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
Everything you need to install headers on a 2010 Camaro...

http://www.planetlsx.com/tech/How_To...0_Camaro_SS/98
Excellent! I'm going to use the JBA Shorty headers that connect (I think) to the stock CATs...

Thanks!
Michael J.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #26
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
For the main question. We charge $450 to install them.That includes new GM metal gaskets,new plugs. For $650 you get the install and full tuning which saves $300 or so. If we supply the parts the savings are more.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #27
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Ok, I understand the new gasket (which JBA comes with one) but why change plugs too?? Install at a local place in San Diego runs about $360; on special
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #28
2Tightwads
Banned

Quote:
Ok, I understand the new gasket (which JBA comes with one) but why change plugs too?? Install at a local place in San Diego runs about $360; on special
Installing a new gasket and plugs isn't necessary on new vehicles. The stock gasket is a 3 piece metal component. The plugs are good for 100k miles. Unecessary expenses in my opinion. Spend your money on something worth it i.e. upgraded Taylor Race Pro 10.4mm plug wires in Red to compliment your new headers. I have customers ask us all the time about these things...I'll expense 'em to you at your request only.

i charge $200 to install headers and thats robbery for the amount of time it takes us. - (3hours)