Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
respawn

Drives: 2010 Syn Green LE Camaro
Am I the only one being treated badly for the car I drive?

Sorry to vent here, but it is driving me crazy (no pun intended). I would like to consider myself a very nice person. I would be surprised if people thought I was a jerk in any interpretation. I am 35, married 15 years, 2 kids, same job (computer engineer) last 12 years... level headed. Never had a ticket in my life, drive conservatively and considerately.

BUT it seems that because I indulged myself and purchased a synergy green 2010 camaro as my daily driver that everyone assumes I am an ass or something. I can't drive down the street without someone cutting me off or trying to hit me.

I dont mind the driver next to me revving an engine at a stop light out of fun but, for instance this morning, the highway goes down from 3 lanes to 2 for construction and this silver older model grand am in the right lane finds himself behind a dump truck so he blantantly pulls into my lane. I really had to make a split second decision to LET him hit me or slam on the brakes. He saw me. No question. Also no question that if I held my lane he was going to hit me. I have never been in a significant accident but knowing a repaired car isnt the same as a new one and not to mention whether this clown had any insurance at all... Acting on perservation and instinct, I stomped the brake and threw it into 2nd gear to yield the lane. An orange light briefly lit up on the dash board, not sure what it was. I was just furious!

Problem is, this isnt an isolated incident. At least once a week, I am driving the speed limit, listening to the stereo and some jerk will stop short or swerve in front of me for no apparent reason other than to piss me off.

I can only imagine they assume that because I am driving a sports car that I must be some douche bag, but that couldn't be further from the truth. It IS making me want to start driving that way though. If I inherit that reputation just by getting behind the wheel, I might as well live up to it, no?

Any one else being treated like this on the road?

- Frustrated
respawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Lbness

Drives: 2010 ss M6 Aqua Blue
Send a message via AIM to Lbness
It is part of the hassle and Joy of Camaro Life.

There is something about the car that makes some people become assholish, for me it appears most BMW folks have an issue with our cars and when I do get cut off it is usually a BMW (ok just kidding) But you do get less folks being kind on the road as you would with other cars. The Good news is you do have the Power and ability to leave most of as a memory !
Make your girls happy too
http://www.lisafreede.com/http://www...s/thumbsup.gif
Lbness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
2010IBMSS

Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
It happens to all of us, just take a deep breath and calm down...
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Pretty sure he saw you in your "green" camaro,most drivers today don't give a damn.

Especially the ones driving pieces of crap,you might get an occasional driver with a nice car driving like a tool.

But the majority are the ones that are jealous or just don't seem to care.

P.S,
I had an Audi A4 sedan cut me off today...and I thought we (VW GTI) were cousins...lol!
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Wow I've never experienced or even heard of this. I'm glad I don't live in your area because I ride around with a torque wrench behind my seat and Lord only knows what would happen to me in that situation.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
2010IBMSS

Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
Awwww.... I miss my gti....
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
I deal more with comments about the car from jealous family members. not so much with people on the road although i get a few thumbs up from passer by's
Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
respawn

Drives: 2010 Syn Green LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
Wow I've never experienced or even heard of this. I'm glad I don't live in your area because I ride around with a torque wrench behind my seat and Lord only knows what would happen to me in that situation.
Trust me, if I was packing heat I would be in some serious trouble by now...
respawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I have owned Camaros since I started driving and never had anything like this happen, everybody loves Camaros here in RI.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
For the most part people drive like they own the road. In my experience i get positive feedback (people let me move over,waves,conversations at stop lights) when i drive the Camaro, and treated like a bum when i drive the Neon for the winter. Yeah... Neon :(

It is what it is.
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
biojack

Drives: 1LT/RS,MRTv2, Injen
Minivan and SUVs are the main culprites...seems like it's mostly 35 yr old men with minivans and car seats.
biojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
G10
GForce

Drives: 2010 Honolulu Blue 2LT M6
I think it might just have to do with the fact that there is a high level of d!ck heads in New Orleans. Doesn't seem to happen here. People usually just gawk and watch me as I pass them by. Although some jealous piece of work did bash my windshield for no reason at all. So... there is some level of d heads here too. But... judging from the footage I saw from Katrina with everybody shirking any self responsibility for their own well being, looting everything in sight and then murdering and raping multiple people in the Superdome during the nations worst natural disaster... I'd say your problem ins't your car... it's your neighbors and their tendency for malfeasance. : )
G10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
You live in a large metropolitan area and as is the case in most of those areas there is a large number of drivers, which in turn equates to a large number of assholes. At least that was my experience in the 9+ years in lived in metro Detroit. I now live in BFE, NY, where the obnoxious assholes are all granola-eating Prius and Subaru drivers.They will drive 10-15 under in a no passing zone and speed up to limit- +5 over in a passing zone, all in an effort to try and force everyone to save that extra teaspoon of gas.(of course I still pass them like they are in reverse).

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
jomo45

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Silver Ice
Actually noticed the phenomena here as well.. It doesn't seem to matter the car/truck type, but the common theme is to slow down as I come up behind on a 2 lane road with no passing lane, then speed up as a passing lane approaches. I realize this is common with your garden variety idiot, but it is much more blatant in the Camaro. I drive a late model Denali pick up, and this effect is much more subdued, perhaps they don't like 6,000lbs of p/u 10' off their bumper!!
2010 SIM SS, 6spd Man, Pedders Sway's & End Links, JBA cats, CAI, MGW shifter, SLP Skip Shift, COR F1 Precise Monobloc, 20X9 & 20X11. Pfadt Coilovers, BMR Subframe bushing inserts, BMR rear trailing arms, Pedders Front Radius Rod inserts.
jomo45 is offline   Reply With Quote