#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 06-20-2023, 12:35 PM   #15
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
unless you have a properly setup car like GM did. they are recommended to stagger on other cars because can you name me another car on the road thats like setup like a freaking 1LE? no you cant. my 370z needed staggered because every single item on the car was not meant to ever see a track!! you'd get ice mode and it was dangerous so you stagger the pads. can you name a single person here who's engaged ice mode? i bet there isnt one.
GM set the car up with Ferodo HP1000 pads, not high friction track pads.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:52 PM   #16
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
GM set the car up with Ferodo HP1000 pads, not high friction track pads.
yes they did and are the rears different? no they arent. unstaggered. so keep the bite force equal no matter the pads.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:44 PM   #17
Slurpee

Drives: 2020 ZL1 A10; Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
unless you have a properly setup car like GM did. they are recommended to stagger on other cars because can you name me another car on the road thats like setup like a freaking 1LE? no you cant. my 370z needed staggered because every single item on the car was not meant to ever see a track!! you'd get ice mode and it was dangerous so you stagger the pads. can you name a single person here who's engaged ice mode? i bet there isnt one.
There are documented cases of ice mode on this forum. I believe most of them are pre 2019 models.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:33 PM   #18
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
yes they did and are the rears different? no they arent. unstaggered. so keep the bite force equal no matter the pads.
I pulled a lot of data prior to making the switch to 70/60 pads and then again after. When you switch to dedicated track pads using a less aggressive compound on the rear will prevent the rear tires from locking up under hard braking. This allows you to use more brake pressure before you activate ABS, and will drastically decrease your stopping distance. I have proven this on my 13zl1, 18zle 18CTSV, and come next weekend I will be running this setup at Road America on my 22ZLE...

Keep in mind that GM also had to consider real-world conditions and how the car stops on the street, in the wet, and in colder conditions. That plays a larger part in how they tune the brake system. If you were to use 70/60 on the street the front would lock up early engaging ABS and causing longer stopping distances...
2022 GMC 2500 "Blue"
2022 ZL1 1LE 6spd "Rapid Blue"
2023 ZL1 1LE Auto Rapid Blue (ordered)
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:37 AM   #19
synolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
There are documented cases of ice mode on this forum. I believe most of them are pre 2019 models.
I saw and with slicks. Some of those I don’t believe and it’s more of a YAW issue.
Old 06-21-2023, 04:45 AM   #20
synolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
I pulled a lot of data prior to making the switch to 70/60 pads and then again after. When you switch to dedicated track pads using a less aggressive compound on the rear will prevent the rear tires from locking up under hard braking. This allows you to use more brake pressure before you activate ABS, and will drastically decrease your stopping distance. I have proven this on my 13zl1, 18zle 18CTSV, and come next weekend I will be running this setup at Road America on my 22ZLE...

Keep in mind that GM also had to consider real-world conditions and how the car stops on the street, in the wet, and in colder conditions. That plays a larger part in how they tune the brake system. If you were to use 70/60 on the street the front would lock up early engaging ABS and causing longer stopping distances...
I just don’t see it. And if it stopping sooner, it’s only doing it 1 time. Putting more stress on the front pads making them work harder is going to get to brake fad sooner cause you to stop later and later. With proper suspension GM has engineered this shouldn’t be a problem with front end weight transfer. Now many lighten there cars but unfortunately you gut more of a car in the rear than the front. You need to keep it balanced. Now this only applies to the 1LE. I’ve seen the mag ride and it’s terrible on track. Looks like a boat in rough seas. That’s obviously not a track suspension so weight transfer to the fronts going to be even worse.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:04 AM   #21
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
So far I haven't had any problems with my DS1.11 pads and SRF fluid on track. Like the OP attempted, I switch between stock Ferodos (daily and autocross use) and the DS1.11 (track days only). The only difference I see in our usages is that I have been running my stock SS 1LE air deflectors on the front control arms. If the OP was running no deflectors at all, could that be the difference? I'm not sure. I've never run a Road America (one of these days...), so I don't know how hard it is on brakes. But a lot of people run these pads and there are usually not reports of glazing pads. That indicates a lot of heat!

ETA: I haven't cooked the SRF either. Seems like the OP is somehow dealing with way more heat than most of us, but the air deflectors are the only issue I can think of that would lead to that.

Last edited by Msquared; 06-21-2023 at 07:18 AM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:49 AM   #22
Slurpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
So far I haven't had any problems with my DS1.11 pads and SRF fluid on track. Like the OP attempted, I switch between stock Ferodos (daily and autocross use) and the DS1.11 (track days only). The only difference I see in our usages is that I have been running my stock SS 1LE air deflectors on the front control arms. If the OP was running no deflectors at all, could that be the difference? I'm not sure. I've never run a Road America (one of these days...), so I don't know how hard it is on brakes. But a lot of people run these pads and there are usually not reports of glazing pads. That indicates a lot of heat!

ETA: I haven't cooked the SRF either. Seems like the OP is somehow dealing with way more heat than most of us, but the air deflectors are the only issue I can think of that would lead to that.
I have the stock ZL1 deflectors on, so it's not no deflectors. I will be running them at the next event, so I will report back on any issues. I can't imagine my pads are sticking to my rotors since I am able to hit top speeds.

Road America is extremely hard on brakes. Turn 1 you are braking from ~160. Turn 5 ~150 downhill, turn 8 ~110 downhill, turn 12 ~150.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:52 AM   #23
Slurpee

Quote:
I just don’t see it. And if it stopping sooner, it’s only doing it 1 time. Putting more stress on the front pads making them work harder is going to get to brake fad sooner cause you to stop later and later. With proper suspension GM has engineered this shouldn’t be a problem with front end weight transfer. Now many lighten there cars but unfortunately you gut more of a car in the rear than the front. You need to keep it balanced. Now this only applies to the 1LE. I’ve seen the mag ride and it’s terrible on track. Looks like a boat in rough seas. That’s obviously not a track suspension so weight transfer to the fronts going to be even worse.
I have 0 complaints on the mag ride. Upgrading to the DSSV suspension was in the cards, but after the BMR rear cradle lockout, I don't see a reason to switch. It's more than track capable.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:01 AM   #24
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
i hear you! hawk has me hesitant anyways for destroying rotors. ive only run carbotech, just hate they are the most money now! i think XP12/12 is all that is needed as its higher heat temp over even the hawk70 and its nice to rotors. not sure who needs the XP20's at 2000+!

I tried XP20, and they melted to the backing plates in 1 day.

SS w/Supercar3 tire here.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:20 AM   #25
synolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
I tried XP20, and they melted to the backing plates in 1 day.

SS w/Supercar3 tire here.
Yeah I’m going xp12’s.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:40 AM   #26
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
The small stock deflectors or not enough cooling for track. For track I recommend using the new Cadilac Blackwing front brake ducts. Great upgrade over the old SS track ducts.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=600626&page=2

GM 85536980 / 81. Online cost $18 each
Old 06-23-2023, 06:59 AM   #27
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
I have the stock ZL1 deflectors on, so it's not no deflectors. I will be running them at the next event, so I will report back on any issues. I can't imagine my pads are sticking to my rotors since I am able to hit top speeds.

Road America is extremely hard on brakes. Turn 1 you are braking from ~160. Turn 5 ~150 downhill, turn 8 ~110 downhill, turn 12 ~150.
Hmm that sounds like an especially brutal track for brakes, I would say its likely your pushing your braking system to a higher limit than most of us are. I do my trackdays at sebring and that track with summer 90F heat can get my brakes spongy after 20min and I slow my pace a tiny bit if that happens. The fastest braking zone is a 130ish but its a sweeping turn so you only need to go down to like 60ish. Also, a 120 into a tight 40mph apex.
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:06 AM   #28
Slurpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
The small stock deflectors or not enough cooling for track. For track I recommend using the new Cadilac Blackwing front brake ducts. Great upgrade over the old SS track ducts.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=600626&page=2

GM 85536980 / 81. Online cost $18 each
Every time I order the blackwing ducts, my order gets cancelled because it's not in stock and I don't have a correct VIN. Which is why I'm gonna use the big SS ducts. Doesn't seem to be much of a difference temperature wise according to the testing done by Mountain