Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #113
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
I finally took my baby to the Chevy dealer for the moaning grinding noise that I heard when backing up because it was definitely getting worse and even happening when going forward and for longer and longer times after cold startups. They agreed with me about it sounding like the Limited Slip Differential and after waiting to check it out for 6 hours determined that it was the diff and changed the fluid and put in an additive that seems to allow the limited slip to slip a little more. (It really did sound like the tires slipping and the clutch plates in the diff rubbing because it was just too tight.) After getting it back I'm almost sure it drives better and corners easier. Besides the sounds and tightness in slow cold corners I think it was binding a little all the time because now it seems to just glide around turns with the greatest of ease. I hate to think how much wear I might have been putting on the diff and the rear tires all this time by not taking it in sooner. Everyone that suspects that they have the problem might want to take it in. I have the V6 LS2 with the manual. I think the automatics don't have the LSD at least not the V6's. Here's a photo of the labels from the fluid and the additive that they put in and the back of the additive bottle that I think did the trick!

I had this done too on mine about two months ago and the noise disapeared however yesterday it started again so I will be taking it back for a second go around.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #114
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblu View Post
I had this done too on mine about two months ago and the noise disapeared however yesterday it started again so I will be taking it back for a second go around.
I plan to have this issue investigated by my performance installer this week. My expectation is GM won't know what it is or won't fess up because either way it will cost them to fix it pro-bono. I don't have time to play GM games. I'll get it examined and fixed by the professionals that build cars for a living. Dealierships don't build cars, they just sell product and services to make GM money.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #115
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I plan to have this issue investigated by my performance installer this week. My expectation is GM won't know what it is or won't fess up because either way it will cost them to fix it pro-bono. I don't have time to play GM games. I'll get it examined and fixed by the professionals that build cars for a living. Dealierships don't build cars, they just sell product and services to make GM money.

Please let us know what they say, I will wait to take mine back until You post something that way I will know what to tell them when I do take it back, they told me the posi clutches were sticking and they adjusted them and did the whole fluid thing with additive, my first thought was that it was an axle going bad or the gears in the rear end and that's still what I'm thinking.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #116
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Second time visiting my installer to get rid of suspension noises; (race installers more knowledgeable than GM on race cars).
They examined the setup and didn't find anything wrong (they also have a Camaro they work on) and therefore sprayed a libricant (similar to on listed below), on the joints of the end-links (front).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BLC-16-PB/

Noises are gone. Explanation.
There seems to be a minor issue with dirt clogging up in the joints of the end-links (probably during wet weather) that create friction at puressure tolerances (turning the steering wheel at slow speeds), the added friction creates the noise / vibration throughout the suspension.
My installer is going to purchase seals (washers at no charge to me) and install (no charge) to see if it get's rid of the small gaps that allow the dirt to get between the joints.

As for GM, don't waste your time, they won't have a clue what's going on. And, therefore your warranty is worthless.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #117
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblu View Post
Please let us know what they say, I will wait to take mine back until You post something that way I will know what to tell them when I do take it back, they told me the posi clutches were sticking and they adjusted them and did the whole fluid thing with additive, my first thought was that it was an axle going bad or the gears in the rear end and that's still what I'm thinking.
Dude. Your right, this issue has nothing to do with changing fluids. I changed my fluids (engine oil and diff), cost me $300, 2 weeks earlier (had the problem after that still).
I've decided not to deal with GM anymore they're a rip-off and the warranty is useless if the techs don't know how to analyse a problem and fix it.
A simple fix to get rid of the noise, see my earlier post.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #118
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
GM should now about it. Here is a TSB for it...I found this in thread some where and saved it. I'm going to get them to do this when I take it in for my last free service next week.

This was the thread...has some other interesting stuff too.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92333
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Rear Axle Chatter-Type Noise on Low-Speed Turns.pdf (24.6 KB, 534 views)
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #119
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
GM should now about it. Here is a TSB for it...I found this in thread some where and saved it. I'm going to get them to do this when I take it in for my last free service next week.

This was the thread...has some other interesting stuff too.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92333
This is a different issue. Basically, they replace the fluids in the diff, and also include an additive to help alleviate the issues.

The noises referenced in this thread (in most cases) is a grinding noise coming from the front suspension not the rear, and you could be at a full stop, turn the steering wheel and you'll hear a grinding type of vibration. That grinding vibration is coming from the (front) end-links. Read my other posts.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #120
fsugreg

Drives: Red jewel tint
I have a 2011 2ss rs with 1000miles. While cruising, at any speed, the engine hesitates and sputters. Even with the cruise control on, you can see the tack flutter up and down approx. 100rpms. It's driving me crazy. There is also alot of carbon coming out of the exhaust. Is there any information on that?
fsugreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #121
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsugreg View Post
I have a 2011 2ss rs with 1000miles. While cruising, at any speed, the engine hesitates and sputters. Even with the cruise control on, you can see the tack flutter up and down approx. 100rpms. It's driving me crazy. There is also alot of carbon coming out of the exhaust. Is there any information on that?
Take your car to a good speed shop and have them re-tune it.
The Camaro has limiters for RPM, speed, et al.
Once these limiters are tuned out, it will allow the engine to run normal. Also, I remember mine doing weird things too, I think so of the ghosts are just a part of working in the vehicle.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #122
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Second time visiting my installer to get rid of suspension noises; (race installers more knowledgeable than GM on race cars).
They examined the setup and didn't find anything wrong (they also have a Camaro they work on) and therefore sprayed a libricant (similar to on listed below), on the joints of the end-links (front).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BLC-16-PB/

Noises are gone. Explanation.
There seems to be a minor issue with dirt clogging up in the joints of the end-links (probably during wet weather) that create friction at puressure tolerances (turning the steering wheel at slow speeds), the added friction creates the noise / vibration throughout the suspension.
My installer is going to purchase seals (washers at no charge to me) and install (no charge) to see if it get's rid of the small gaps that allow the dirt to get between the joints.

As for GM, don't waste your time, they won't have a clue what's going on. And, therefore your warranty is worthless.

Hope this helps.
I had a few noises coming from my suspension in the front also and had my dealer use some penetrating oil on the end links like you had recommended - the noises seem to be pretty much gone. - Thx

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #123
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
I had a few noises coming from my suspension in the front also and had my dealer use some penetrating oil on the end links like you had recommended - the noises seem to be pretty much gone. - Thx
No problem. I know how annoying it can be to spend large amounts of coin on your ride, and then be nervous to drive it to it's full potential because you're concerned about wierd sounds, especially in the steering or suspension.
I'm pleased I was able to help, hope many others will read the resolution I posted and benefit as well, also a huge to my installer Andrew @ Shifted Perceptsions (SPI) too, he's a really smart technician / builder.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #124
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I had the flush and refill done today.

#PI0137: Rear Axle Chatter-Type Noise on Low-Speed
Turns
The noise started several weeks ago and was getting worse, so I took it in. So far so good.

FYI -
The service tech said if you catch it in time it should be good, but if you wait too long the damage would be perminant and the center section would need to be replaced. So far he has replaced one (15,000 mi.) all others 5k or less the flush has done it.

If you hear it - take it in.
FSTORG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #125
zapper_zapper

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS
Same problem here, I have 2010 2SS with 4000miles and it sounds like the traction control is kicking in, it's a metallic rubbing sound like when the abs or traction control activates.

Has any software updates helped anyone? I'm taking my car in next week to have it checked out and will report back.
zapper_zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #126
MotorCityTransplant

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro CGM 6M
I also had the rubbing / grinding sound in mine. Changing the rear diff fluid and adding the additive fixed the problem.