Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
Jpax

Drives: ZL1
ZL1 or not to ZL1

Hi all,

I have been looking into getting back into a Camaro, and almost pulled the trigger a few months ago but missed the opportunity. i was all set on a gen 5 ZL1. but I just had the chance to drive a gen 6 1LE and wow it was a blast. any one have any opinions on what would be the best bang for the buck given here the 14/15 ZL1's are the same price as the 17 1LE's

Also what would be the general consensus on buying a 15 ZL1 with an air intake and pull upgrade but no details on what was done to the car. its at a dealer and they have no clue!

thanks
Jpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:42 AM   #2
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpax View Post
Hi all,

I have been looking into getting back into a Camaro, and almost pulled the trigger a few months ago but missed the opportunity. i was all set on a gen 5 ZL1. but I just had the chance to drive a gen 6 1LE and wow it was a blast. any one have any opinions on what would be the best bang for the buck given here the 14/15 ZL1's are the same price as the 17 1LE's

Also what would be the general consensus on buying a 15 ZL1 with an air intake and pull upgrade but no details on what was done to the car. its at a dealer and they have no clue!

thanks
It really depends on how you intend to use the car, drag/track racing or as a daily driver for the most part...If you're a HP junkie the ZL1, if you're more into tracking the 17 1LE...

If you're really leaning toward the ZL1 and you know it has some basic mods, I would tell the dealer that I want to have it inspected (by a performance shop of your choice) to find out what mods have been done to the car and even have it dyno'd of course at your cost...The prior owner may have even left a build sheet in the car that the dealer is not aware of...Could have gotten rid of it with the expectation of having problems with it, etc...You sound as though you're on the fence, which in your case is good, but you certainly want to spend your money on whichever vehicle meets or exceeds your standard...Good luck in your choice...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I agree with Stunnah. I'll add this. They both are similar in performance. The 6th Gen is newer so points for that. The ZL1 tho already comes with a blower so points for that. If you're only gonna be able to afford bolt-ons, then the ZL1 has more potential. If you can afford to add a blower to a 6th Gen after taking it and making payments, then I'd say that is the way to go. They both can handle just about the same amount of HP but I think I trust the ZL1's internals a bit more. The 1SS 1LE handles better I think. Putting it all together, it really is kinda a tough choice. But the ZL1 will probably retain it's value while the SS will drop. So there's that. But the 5th Gen ZL1 is 2 years old at this point so there's that. Pulley, headers, intake, and dyno tune on the ZL1 and you'll be low 11s...maybe high 10s. I would say that you can't go wrong either way.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I haven't driven one of the new cars - and probably wont buy one anytime soon - I've got kids going to college in a few years.

I have read how great the 17 handles, but according to actual road-holding numbers they handle the same.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Jpax

thanks for the feedback, i think the zl1 is where i am leaning to.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I agree with STUNNAH as well. If you plan to go to the track and tinker with the car the 1LE would be hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
If it was just an SS I'd say get the ZL1 but a 6th 1LE is a fantastic car...If you plan on tracking, I'd go for the 6th gen 1LE. If you want a street/strip monster that is mod friendly, then go for the ZL1. There are definitely a lot of things better about the 6th gens...
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
... or just wait for the ZL1 1LE.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #9
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
... or just wait for the ZL1 1LE.

Yeah...good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:52 AM   #10
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

I would say go for the improved new 6th gen SS 1LE, but ask yourself if you need the rear seat space. On the 6th. gen, the rear seat space is only good for smaller kids. Have you seated on the new Recaros of the 1LE? The top seat bolstering fells very thight to your ribcage, only if you are skinny you would fit there, for a track day is OK, but not for a DD or long drive, my 5th. Gen ZL1 has the prior Recaro seats but is more confortable compared to the new ones.
Have you seen the 6th. gen 1LE hood vinyl? I just saw it and on my opinion it looks awful, out of place.
I prefeer my 5th gen ZL1 compared to the 6th. gen SS. But the performance level, superior chasis, suspension and light weight of the 6th. Gen SS 1LE is top and is very to find one (also our 5th gen ZL1 are rare to see one).The 6th. gen ZL1is the best Camaro that you can get if you have the $ for it.
Last and not least, our 5th gen ZL1s have a very nice muscle car look and its strong powertrain is almost bullet proof tested.Very dependable.
Enjoy your buying experience, you need to drive both to be able to decide.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #11
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I would not hesitate in buying a new or ultra low mileage '15 ZL1 (under 3,000 miles). If the car and price is right, then grab it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #12
Jpax

i finally had a chance to get behind the zl1, and I have to say it felt like it pulled harder then the 17 ile, granted the zl1 has an intake and pulley. between the two cars just looking at overall drive, the 1le edged the zl1. as it has more gadgets and updated electronics. but looks I still side with the zl1, so it comes down to what would be a more livable car and hold more options as to power upgrade over time.

I do have to say is wow, my neck hurt from the pull of the zl1! and holy its crazy improved over my 87 iroc lol
Old 06-13-2017, 01:41 AM   #13
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpax View Post
i finally had a chance to get behind the zl1, and I have to say it felt like it pulled harder then the 17 ile, granted the zl1 has an intake and pulley. between the two cars just looking at overall drive, the 1le edged the zl1. as it has more gadgets and updated electronics. but looks I still side with the zl1, so it comes down to what would be a more livable car and hold more options as to power upgrade over time.

I do have to say is wow, my neck hurt from the pull of the zl1! and holy its crazy improved over my 87 iroc lol
Other members will have different opinions but from you posted it reads that the ZL1 is the best option for you...You want a car that is mod friendly down the road ZL1...You like a car that has stock HP at least 100HP more the ZL1...The ZL1 has a supercharger system not just an intake...If you want a car that's built for track racing the 1LE...If you're looking for more gadgets and newer technology 1LE...If you're looking for a modern muscle car the ZL1, if you're looking for the sports car design the 1LE...From what I've read on this site the ZL1 has no problem with longevity, I have not studied the 1LE very much so I can't speak on it...If you like neck strain ZL1...Good luck with your decision...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^Good point. You will find that a ZL1 is almost completely different in nature from previous Camaros. As good as my 4th gen is, it is very mild in comparison to my ZL1. The ZL does things "right now", whereas my 'SS will "get to it in a minute".

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote