Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #85
68 Z/28
Father Time

Drives: 1967 Malibu / 2002 Caddy DTS
Send a message via Yahoo to 68 Z/28

68 Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #86
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
B, where's the engine bay pics? I just stumbled on this thread and like! Is your strengthened LS3 base still gonna be TT'd??? This is cool.
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #87
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
B, where's the engine bay pics? I just stumbled on this thread and like! Is your strengthened LS3 base still gonna be TT'd??? This is cool.
He's avoiding the engine bay pics for some reason.....

... Saving the Best for last?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #88
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Ha. Sorry guys. Been super busy out here in CA. Was out last week and lucky enough to come out again this week. Stopped by and saw the SST today. Lookin' pretty good. Tomorrow is a lot of travelling. Very late for me (brain still on east coast time), so I'll get pics up this weekend.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #89
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #90
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
wow i like
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #91
speedster
SST...

OK, some more SST stuff.

Back to engine goodies. Here are the SST cylinder heads being CNC ported. Hours upon hours were spent finding the best flow characteristics throughout the mid to high lift range. These are optimized for the twin turbos and high boost levels this engine will see. The flow levels of these heads is pretty astounding.

Here is a shot in the CNC machine.

Note the multi-step valve job on these heads. This is a valve seat program designed for this boosted engine. We don't want hot spots especially on the exhaust side. [Note: In this pic only the intake seat on the left combustion chamber was complete.]

Here is the head on the flow bench. Most of the hours spent on these heads was on the exhaust side due to the extreme flow characteristics required on this boosted engine. Yes, this is the intake side...

Here is a shot of a finished combustion chamber. Notice each valve is lapped to its specific seat and labeled. You can also see the little mark where the Stainless Steel O-Ring hits the head.

Another difference on these SST heads is that the exhaust valves are made from Inconel. Unfortunately this material is very expensive, but it withstands much more heat than stainless. In a turbo application you need this because the cycling of the valve under high boost can cause the valve to deform and tulip when it is glowing red hot.

Last edited by speedster; 01-19-2011 at 07:12 AM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #92
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
omg! I'm going to learn so much on this thread!!! sooo purty!!!
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #93
speedster
SST...

Here is another cool thing done on this engine. The heads are preheated to ensure correct loads when torquing the heads down. Two heat guns get each head up to temp. It is time consuming and smells terrible, but the aircraft sealer is melting into the surfaces and then is cooled slowly to set the "goop". You can see the aircraft sealer on the closest head/block/gasket line. This sealer turns grey/brown/black after it has cured. Copper gaskets won't need a retorque this way. Below is a shot of the first gun running.

Here is what the head temp is up to so far.

Last edited by speedster; 01-19-2011 at 07:10 AM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #94
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
OMG! That is amazing! speedster, thanks for sharing all these cool images as your car progresses. This car is going to stand head and shoulders above all the others. I hope you can get some video for us when it is up and running!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #95
speedster
SST...

As time went by the SST power capability kept going up. So just like all of you crazy Camaro 5 members - you just can't leave these Camaros alone !! The original intent was to run a TT LS3. OK, so the bottom end was swapped to a Pro Mod LSX level but that was for the future... Originally I wanted this car to look 100% stock, idle stock, get 25 mpg and pump out 1000 hp, but at this stage it was decided to kick it up a notch. So you have now seen that heads were changed and upgraded for considerably higher flow capacity. Something about a motor making so much power should not idle like it's electric, so the decision was made to chuck the hydraulic roller LS7 cam and run a solid roller with a NASCAR valvetrain. So the heads are now topped with nascar springs and a full T&D shaft roller rocker setup. This setup has proven to be bulletproof and should last for 100,000 miles with no problem. I guess we'll see. Here is a shot of what it looks like on the SST engine.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #96
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Bruce all I can say is SHAZZZAAMMM. Complete eye candy. Absolutley looks awesome. I cant wait til you get this done and see this car in person. Keep the pics coming.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #97
speedster
SST...

Now this is the pic of the item that I have most grown to both love and hate. This intake manifold has been in the design state for literally years and I convinced the patent holder to pull the trigger. Now the reason why it is tough to post this is that this was the item that was mostly responsible for the SST not being at the first Camaro 5 Fest with many of you.

It will still end up on the SST, but there have been some complications with the forging and then the CNC programming, so for now I have decided to go with a Hogan tunnel ram 16 injector sheet metal intake until we get the bugs out, but this will eventually make it back on to the SST engine.

Here are some specs on this very special intake:
It is a new cross ram (8) throttle body individual runner intake for this combo. Since the completion of the design, it has now been over a year in development. The fabricated version of this was worth almost 50 ft lbs over a stock intake on a normally aspirated motor.

Notice the dual injector per cylinder for the turbo applications. There is very little bend in the port and there are (8) 2-7/16 throttle bores that have a patented taper design compiled from over 15 years of dyno tests. What you can't see are the 2 sets of hidden fuel rails, the linkage for all of the throttle bodies and the individual air bleeds for each runner that can be either manual or computer controlled for perfect cylinder-to-cylinder distribution.

Anyway, here is what it looks like.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #98
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
That intake is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the rest of it... Installed... Running

Tags
engine psi > tire psi, f5....., holy crap!, horsepower, omgwtfbbqsaucepowa!!!, speedster, sst, turbo