Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Will 2 quarts be enuff.

If you were going to change your ZL1's diff fluid,would 2 quarts be enough? The owners manual says it takes 2.1 but they sell it in 1quart bottles. Unless you were going to take your car and tip it on its side some how,wouldnt 2 quarts be enough to get it full? I mean,there has got to be at least .1 of a quart left in the diff from empty, up to the bottom of the drain hole,right? Just wondering if you need to buy another quart bottle for .1 of a quart.Thanks!!
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I would follow recommendations. I bought an extra bottle. I use the old fashioned method where I consider it full when it is full to the bottom of the fill plug hole.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
I would follow recommendations. I bought an extra bottle. I use the old fashioned method where I consider it full when it is full to the bottom of the fill plug hole.
Oh dont worry.Of course Id follow the recommendations. Id never change out the fluid and not make sure it was completly full.I was just wondering if when you change the fluid if there is at least .1 of a quart left in the diff. after it was drained. Unless the drain plug was on the very bottom of the diff(underneath it) I dont see how there wouldnt be at least .1 left in there. I would make certain it was almost coming out of the fill hole before a put the plug back in. Its just after I change it the first time,it will be a long while before it will be changed again. By that time,Id just buy 2 new bottles.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I had mine changed at a quick lube place while I watched using GM fluid I purchased and brought in. It took more than two quarts, so I was glad I purchased the extra quart. It was worth the $30 in labor I paid them, but I'm glad I did the research and used the GM/AC Delco fluid. I wondered about the .1 qt too, but you need 3 qts to do the job.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I had mine changed at a quick lube place while I watched using GM fluid I purchased and brought in. It took more than two quarts, so I was glad I purchased the extra quart. It was worth the $30 in labor I paid them, but I'm glad I did the research and used the GM/AC Delco fluid. I wondered about the .1 qt too, but you need 3 qts to do the job.
Thanks man!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Aren't you also supposed to add some kind of GM additive?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Not with the GM synthetic specified for the ZL1. It's already included. There's a other post in this forum about the fluid change and others have used different fluids like Redlines, but needed to add an additive. It costs a bit more to use the GM fluid, but I didn't want to risk any additional noise coming from the rear end and changing the diff fluid isn't something that iI'll be doing on a regular basis.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
IROC U

Drives: 1986 Camaro IROC-Z; 2012 Camaro ZL1
Mine is at the dealer right now getting changed because of noise. Since it has cooled off mine started making noise as I backed out of my garage. After driving for a few minutes it would stop. I took it to the dealer last Friday since the car was warm it didn't make the noise. I took it back Tuesday and they kept it overnight. I got a call this afternoon saying they were changing the rear diff. fluid. and it would be ready tomorrow. I have 2563 miles on it. Here's the funny thing. I had them change the oil at 1500 miles and I requested then that they change the rear diff. fluid. I told him that I was willing to pay for both services now. The service advisor said it was too early on both. I was adamant about the oil change but let them talk me out of the rear diff. change. He said that they didn't have the rear diff. oil in stock anyway. So I left. Now the oil is being changed and it's on their coin.
IROC U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Mine took slightly more than 2 quarts so definitely buy 3 when you are ready to change the fluid. Save the remainder of the 3rd for the next diff fluid change.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC U View Post
Mine is at the dealer right now getting changed because of noise. Since it has cooled off mine started making noise as I backed out of my garage. After driving for a few minutes it would stop. I took it to the dealer last Friday since the car was warm it didn't make the noise. I took it back Tuesday and they kept it overnight. I got a call this afternoon saying they were changing the rear diff. fluid. and it would be ready tomorrow. I have 2563 miles on it. Here's the funny thing. I had them change the oil at 1500 miles and I requested then that they change the rear diff. fluid. I told him that I was willing to pay for both services now. The service advisor said it was too early on both. I was adamant about the oil change but let them talk me out of the rear diff. change. He said that they didn't have the rear diff. oil in stock anyway. So I left. Now the oil is being changed and it's on their coin.
It sounds like your dealership is stepping up for you! This is great news. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

UPDATE!!!
Well i got it done. I ordered the GM fluid(3 quarts!)and went and got oil, filter and mag.oil plug and had both changed at a local place. I go to church with the owner so I got to get underneath the car and do what ever I wanted.He charged me 30 bucks to do both. The car has 1600 miles on it. The oil looked good. The diff fluid was dirty,and both plugs had between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of crud and shaving on the ends. Thanks for all the info guys. I REALLY needed 3 quarts!! I went and did figure 8s and drove in circles in doth direction for a while after it was done. If there is anybody out there that doesnt already know this(I doubt it) I had a GM tech highly recommend doing this to keep the noise down back there. So anyway,thanks again!!