Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Exclamation NanoSkin problem

Hey guys I was claying the front 1/4 panels yesterday because I was putting my hash marks on and I was using the fine grade wash mitt from nano skin to get the wax and contaminants off of the surface where the vinyl would go. Anyways, I noticed some hazing/marring on the paint. Its not really that bad but I can see it. I did it on our old jeep that has a makko paint job and you can definitely see the hazing. I thought it might be that way because it's a single stage paint job. But anyways it just makes me upset that I pay 60 bucks for it and it does that. I washed the area first around it and then poured a bunch of mothers wash and wax into my bucket and clayed the car, any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I am not expert but a Wash mitt for removing wax?
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
Hey guys I was claying the front 1/4 panels yesterday because I was putting my hash marks on and I was using the fine grade wash mitt from nano skin to get the wax and contaminants off of the surface where the vinyl would go. Anyways, I noticed some hazing/marring on the paint. Its not really that bad but I can see it. I did it on our old jeep that has a makko paint job and you can definitely see the hazing. I thought it might be that way because it's a single stage paint job. But anyways it just makes me upset that I pay 60 bucks for it and it does that. I washed the area first around it and then poured a bunch of mothers wash and wax into my bucket and clayed the car, any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Is this post a joke?

1- Any product you use to remove contaminants can cause marring; this is why you polish after. Did you think that becasue you purchased a $60 product it does not come with some risk?
2- My guess is if you're seeing significant marring you're using the product incorrectly as I’ve used similar products and had virtually no marring. Either way I did not care as I planned to polish anyway.
3- And this has to be the best one yet: You're using a wash and WAX to remove wax and contaminants.
4- The marring you are seeing is likely dried product (wax).

Advice (since you asked): After reading many of your detailing post I suggest you move along to a different hobbie! Oh and don't use wash and WAX to remove WAX!

Last edited by nyrfan; 04-11-2014 at 08:12 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Is this post a joke?

1- Any product you use to remove contaminants can cause marring; this is why you polish after. Did you think that becasue you purchased a $60 product it does not come with some risk?
2- My guess is if you're seeing significant marring you're using the product incorrectly as I’ve used similar products and had virtually no marring.
3- And this has to be the best one yet: You're using a wash and WAX to remove wax and contaminants.

Advice (since you asked): After reading many of your detailing post I suggest you move along to a different hobbie! Oh and don't use wash and WAX to remove WAX!
Didn't mean wax I meant contaminants so there wasn't anything under the vinyl and it would adhere properly to the paint, I didn't think there was marring possible. Anyways, whatever don't really care about what you think about my detailing, it works for me and i do sometimes encounter problems. Guess I should probably quit trying to get help on this forum, in the detailing section anyways.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Didn't mean wax I meant contaminants so there wasn't anything under the vinyl and it would adhere properly to the paint, I didn't think there was marring possible. Anyways, whatever don't really care about what you think about my detailing, it works for me and i do sometimes encounter problems. Guess I should probably quit trying to get help on this forum, in the detailing section anyways.
Listen to what you are saying, you’re a claying with a WAX product (Wash and wax)!!!! Putting a coat of wax on your car prior to installing vinyl makes no sense; do you expect the vinyl to adhere properly with a coat of wax under it?

Last edited by nyrfan; 04-11-2014 at 09:29 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
StreetSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Is this post a joke?

2- My guess is if you're seeing significant marring you're using the product incorrectly as I’ve used similar products and had virtually no marring. Either way I did not care as I planned to polish anyway.

Forum Rule:
1) Respect & Be Helpful — By far, the most important rule here. Generations of GM enthusiasts have come together through a shared passion for the car and the community, so the golden rule applies: Treat others as you wish to be treated. This means no foul language, insults, or rude remarks towards other members.

We’re here as a family of enthusiasts, and we should act accordingly. And since the site is constantly gaining new members, please go out of your way to help answer others’ questions in an effort to make this an even better community. Shunning new members’ questions or rudely telling others to “search for it” is extremely discouraged.
StreetSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSS View Post
Forum Rule:
1) Respect & Be Helpful — By far, the most important rule here. Generations of GM enthusiasts have come together through a shared passion for the car and the community, so the golden rule applies: Treat others as you wish to be treated. This means no foul language, insults, or rude remarks towards other members.

We’re here as a family of enthusiasts, and we should act accordingly. And since the site is constantly gaining new members, please go out of your way to help answer others’ questions in an effort to make this an even better community. Shunning new members’ questions or rudely telling others to “search for it” is extremely discouraged.
Oh please, show me where I did any of this? Now if you had obnoxius in thre you might be on to something!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Good_Times

Drives: red
Any time you clay a car you are marring the paint. Anywhere from some micro marring to flat out minor scratching. You are shearing off or abrading contaminants and this is to be expected. On light colors you may get away with claying but not polishing but with darker colors forgetaboutit. I will not clay a car at my shop unless it's going to be polished. On preparing the surface for your stripes you would want to wash with a strong shampoo and follow up with either IPA , Prep-Sol or Eraser type product to make sure the bonding surface was wax free. IMO.

PS: I don't make hundreds of how-to videos so someone will most likely tell me I'm wrong. LOL.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
fine or medium grade?

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
fine or medium grade?
He's got a fine mitt.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
fine or medium grade?
It's fine grade, I have heard that it doesn't mar, reason I got the fine grade not medium or rough grade.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Times View Post
Any time you clay a car you are marring the paint. Anywhere from some micro marring to flat out minor scratching. You are shearing off or abrading contaminants and this is to be expected. On light colors you may get away with claying but not polishing but with darker colors forgetaboutit. I will not clay a car at my shop unless it's going to be polished. On preparing the surface for your stripes you would want to wash with a strong shampoo and follow up with either IPA , Prep-Sol or Eraser type product to make sure the bonding surface was wax free. IMO.

PS: I don't make hundreds of how-to videos so someone will most likely tell me I'm wrong. LOL.
Thanks for the helpful information man I appreciate it!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
It's fine grade, I have heard that it doesn't mar, reason I got the fine grade not medium or rough grade.
1 of 5 things:

1) You're pressing down too hard
2) You're not using proper lubricant
3) Your car isn't actually clean and you're claying dirt into your car
4) Your mitt isn't broken in or it is too dirty
5) Your car surface is too hot.

Find which is the problem and fix that. The fine grade doesn't mar hard camaro paint in my experience. And I've done just about every color. The mitt and fine grade clay in general can mar and microscratch soft paints. I've had issues with nissans, acuras, and porsches in the past.

That is why (as goodtimes stated) it is best practice to polish after claying.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
1 of 5 things:

1) You're pressing down too hard
2) You're not using proper lubricant
3) Your car isn't actually clean and you're claying dirt into your car
4) Your mitt isn't broken in or it is too dirty
5) Your car surface is too hot.

Find which is the problem and fix that. The fine grade doesn't mar hard camaro paint in my experience. And I've done just about every color. The mitt and fine grade clay in general can mar and microscratch soft paints. I've had issues with nissans, acuras, and porsches in the past.

That is why (as goodtimes stated) it is best practice to polish after claying.

Ok thanks!, I did just get done driving the car about 20 minutes before I washed it, guess that might be the problem, anyways I appreciate the helpful information!