Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
TobysZL1

Drives: ZL1 Gone but not Forgotten!
Trade Decision ZL1 for ZL1? Help!

I have a 2013 CRT ZL1 with 8200 miles on it. It's a manual car. Currently I'm in negotiations and trying to make up my mind on whether or not to trade it for the same year BRM with an automatic. Both cars have the same exact options, fully loaded with sunroof and NAV. Only difference would be the transmission and color obviously. Oh and the auto has 3000 less miles then my car . The dealer will take my car Plus 2500 + taxes /tags. Help me out guys I still like manual but I love the idea of not having to shift anymore. Plus I here the auto is the bomb in these cars. Only problem I don't wanna get the new one with auto and be like what the hell Did I do cause I miss shifting to much.
Guys who have had both manual and auto ZL1's , I would love to hear what you guys have to say? Also the 3k extra it cost is a zero factor to me. I just don't want to regret my decision. I had an auto SS before and ended up trading it for a manual SS ...

Not interested in having a manual/auto fight /debate? Just looking for some insight. Especially from the guys that have owned both manual and auto ZL1's ..Thank you

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
TobysZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
It would cost more than 2500 to convert the car.
If you set on getting a manual, go for it.

Considering that you went from an auto to manual SS previously, you better sleep on it. It would be a really odd if 2 months down the road we see a new thread with the same title.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
It would cost more than 2500 to convert the car.
If you set on getting a manual, go for it.

Considering that you went from an auto to manual SS previously, you better sleep on it. It would be a really odd if 2 months down the road we see a new thread with the same title.
I have a manual now.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:18 AM   #4
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
I have a manual now.
*auto - my bad.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 07-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #5
TobysZL1

Quote:
*auto - my bad.
That's my problem. I am kind of set on an auto. I think it would be great for daily city driving and I Also think I would drive it more if it were auto.
Just don't want to regret missing shifting.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 AM   #6
ac223mal

Drives: car
If your current car was purchased new, I would stay w/that, you know everything tha'ts been done to the car. If its used as well, the go with what you like.

I would keep the manual car, if you're not racing the car on the strip. I think you'll miss the interaction w/the car.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #7
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac223mal View Post
If your current car was purchased new, I would stay w/that, you know everything tha'ts been done to the car. If its used as well, the go with what you like.

I would keep the manual car, if you're not racing the car on the strip. I think you'll miss the interaction w/the car.
I appreciate the opinion.
Don't you feel there still interaction with the car as an auto though as Well? It's not clutch in or clutch out but 580 horse in a Nice tap shift is Gotta be a little fun, no?

Also the car was bought used in March of 2014 with 3100 miles on it.
The owner of dealership drove it.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:37 AM   #8
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

I didn't like the tap shift in my SS; so much that I did the swap to a manual trans, but a lot of people do.
If the paddles were fixed to the column, I might have a change of heart.

I do like the tiptronic shifter in the CTSV though; unfortunately it just doesn't fit.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 07-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #9
TobysZL1

Quote:
I didn't like the tap shift in my SS; so much that I did the swap to a manual trans, but a lot of people do.
If the paddles were fixed to the column, I might have a change of heart.

I do like the tiptronic shifter in the CTSV though; unfortunately it just doesn't fit.
I had an SS in 2012 with an auto and found myself wanting the manual as Well. So I Did trade it and got the manual. But the ZL1 auto is not the same thing as a SS auto.
At the same time this is exactly what scares me about getting the auto. Don't wanna make the same mistake again . I just find myself as I get older shifting is not all what's it's cracked up to be while daily driving this baby

Old 07-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #10
gearhead686

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro BRM
I'm in the same boat as you are. I went from an auto SS to a manual ZL1. I don't daily drive mine. I did DD the SS for about two years. I did not like the paddle shifters. Hence, I hardly ever used them. I still enjoyed the car very much, just left it in drive and let the tranny do its thing. Got a super deal on a ZL 1 that happened to be a manual, brand new. Actually, I got excited that it was a manual. Figured it would be a lot more fun. And it is.........when im in the mood for driving it. lol. It presents a challenge because I can always improve my shifting and launching when at play with it. That's the fun factor. I realize that I cannot shift as fast as the auto and have thought of trading it just for that reason. And some times when stuck in traffic. lol. But mine is not a daily driver. I think if it were my primary transportation, I would at least have to test drive an auto ZL1. I hate paddle shifting. It just doesn't feel as natural as shifting from the console. If the auto came with a ratchet type shifter on the console, id be sitting in one right now. What makes my manual ZL1 so much fun is the fact that I don't drive it everyday. When I do drive it, snatching those gears are a blast! This debate within ourselves( stick vs auto) will go on and on because there are pluses and minuses to both. I know exactly how you feel. In my opinion, what would bridge the gap for those of us on the fence, would be a console shifted auto. Best of both worlds.
gearhead686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #11
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead686 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you are. I went from an auto SS to a manual ZL1. I don't daily drive mine. I did DD the SS for about two years. I did not like the paddle shifters. Hence, I hardly ever used them. I still enjoyed the car very much, just left it in drive and let the tranny do its thing. Got a super deal on a ZL 1 that happened to be a manual, brand new. Actually, I got excited that it was a manual. Figured it would be a lot more fun. And it is.........when im in the mood for driving it. lol. It presents a challenge because I can always improve my shifting and launching when at play with it. That's the fun factor. I realize that I cannot shift as fast as the auto and have thought of trading it just for that reason. And some times when stuck in traffic. lol. But mine is not a daily driver. I think if it were my primary transportation, I would at least have to test drive an auto ZL1. I hate paddle shifting. It just doesn't feel as natural as shifting from the console. If the auto came with a ratchet type shifter on the console, id be sitting in one right now. What makes my manual ZL1 so much fun is the fact that I don't drive it everyday. When I do drive it, snatching those gears are a blast! This debate within ourselves( stick vs auto) will go on and on because there are pluses and minuses to both. I know exactly how you feel. In my opinion, what would bridge the gap for those of us on the fence, would be a console shifted auto. Best of both worlds.
Mine is not a daily driver either. It's one of 3 vehicles. I just want it to be more of an everyday car during the summer, rain or shine. And I think it would be this if it were automatic. I too like to shift and there are times Where I love to shift. But there is always a moment every time I drive it that I think about how Nice a supercharged auto monster would be.
I see are similarities in thought like you said but Where we differ is I like paddle shifting. When in that fun spirited mood to drive this car it's never going to be like a manual but it's still a close runner up. Hell Ferrari's and Lamborghinis only come that way so how bad can it be, Lol...

Old 07-02-2015, 05:41 AM   #12
MRREVINTO7

Drives: 14 1Le --14 chevy ss sedan 07shelby
new auto in zl1 is tuned different than base ss so thats 1 consideration ..2nd auto is faster from dig ...also best of both worlds you can shift it or put it in auto and i believe it rev matches on down shifts i have an auto witch works awsome in my 14 ss sedan ls3 ....i just sold my shelby this week and bought a challenger scatpack 392 A8 ..let me tell you i love the new automatics and i was a closed minded guy about manuals but to tell you the truth the new transmissions are really great ..also no clutch issues or grinding from a few power shifts ...the only hard decision here is taking red over crt ....good luck for 2500 bucks its a solid deal ..i wish my 1LE was an auto after driving my challenger its a pain in the ass now ...go drive the auto if they let you you won't look back ...im in suffolk county Li NY if your not too far come out by me drive my ss with auto and my challenger you will at least get to see if you like auto ...good luck
MRREVINTO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:49 AM   #13
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRREVINTO7 View Post
new auto in zl1 is tuned different than base ss so thats 1 consideration ..2nd auto is faster from dig ...also best of both worlds you can shift it or put it in auto and i believe it rev matches on down shifts i have an auto witch works awsome in my 14 ss sedan ls3 ....i just sold my shelby this week and bought a challenger scatpack 392 A8 ..let me tell you i love the new automatics and i was a closed minded guy about manuals but to tell you the truth the new transmissions are really great ..also no clutch issues or grinding from a few power shifts ...the only hard decision here is taking red over crt ....good luck for 2500 bucks its a solid deal ..i wish my 1LE was an auto after driving my challenger its a pain in the ass now ...go drive the auto if they let you you won't look back ...im in suffolk county Li NY if your not too far come out by me drive my ss with auto and my challenger you will at least get to see if you like auto ...good luck
I appreciate that man. I Did have an auto SS , so I do have a Tad bit experience with it.
I guess I really should drive an auto ZL1, that would probably make this a lot easier. Problem is that there's none around me for miles and miles.
Would love if someone was close to me that I could take a fast cruise in there car, that would be awesome!

From what I hear an auto SS and an auto ZL1 is not nearly in the same world. So assuming this is true then me having owned the auto SS means squat in this decision right now, Until I actually drive an auto ZL1.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #14
gearhead686

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
Mine is not a daily driver either. It's one of 3 vehicles. I just want it to be more of an everyday car during the summer, rain or shine. And I think it would be this if it were automatic. I too like to shift and there are times Where I love to shift. But there is always a moment every time I drive it that I think about how Nice a supercharged auto monster would be.
I see are similarities in thought like you said but Where we differ is I like paddle shifting. When in that fun spirited mood to drive this car it's never going to be like a manual but it's still a close runner up. Hell Ferrari's and Lamborghinis only come that way so how bad can it be, Lol...

I hear ya bro. I often have the same thoughts of the auto. Someone pulls up beside me wanting to go at it and instead of trying to figure out what gear to be in ....just hit the gas and let the LSA get busy if it were an auto. Other scenarios as well. I can tell you this though, when I had my auto....I never really thought about "if it were a stick". However, with the stick.....I do sometimes think "if it were an auto". As far as the paddle shifters go.....well to each his own. I like the console much better.

Let me ask you this.......Have you test driven this auto ZL1?
gearhead686 is offline   Reply With Quote