Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Will the Z28 engine be a version of the LSA and the LS9 combined?

We know the the Z28 is still only a myth but the popular belief is that it will come and the best candidate engine so far is the LSA. The S/C on the LSA will require modification to fit the wiper tray and assembly. What if GM used the LSA block and put a version of the LS9 S/C which appears to have a lower profile and does not use a jack shaft and rear belt assembly to turn the rotors? Without the additional height and more clearance on the rear of the unit will combining the two engines be a better fit for the Camaro?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Odds are they won't be developing a new engine, even if it is a hybrid of two existing engines. It would be one or the other. Also, I believe the physical block of the LSA is identical to the LS3 and LS9.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Niether the LSA or or the LS9 use a jackshaft or a rear drive. The top from the LS9 actually appears to bolt on the lower case. With some modification it could work to cure the clearance problem. I set one on my LSA and there is some difference in the fuel rails also. Map sensor was hitting If I remember correctly.

The LSA and the LS9 have similar blocks. The LS9 has the larger 12MM head bolts. The LS3 does not have piston oilers.

Even the heads on the LS9 and the LSA are different castings.

My bet is on a Camaro version of the LSA. But who knows, they could also use a wet sump Camaro version LS9.....then again ........

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
Niether the LSA or or the LS9 use a jackshaft or a rear drive. The top from the LS9 actually appears to bolt on the lower case. With some modification it could work to cure the clearance problem. I set one on my LSA and there is some difference in the fuel rails also. Map sensor was hitting If I remember correctly.

The LSA and the LS9 have similar blocks. The LS9 has the larger 12MM head bolts. The LS3 does not have piston oilers.

Even the heads on the LS9 and the LSA are different castings.

My bet is on a Camaro version of the LSA. But who knows, they could also use a wet sump Camaro version LS9.....then again ........

Robin
Thanks Robin, I checked the LSA photos and you are 100% correct. I guess I kept seeing the pictures of the Maggie S/C installed with the jack drive and rear belt assembly, I should have paid better attention to detail. Hope to pick your brain some more at Camaro Fest.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That'd be pretty cool, IMO, but I agree with everyone else :(

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Z-28
Old 04-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
wirewilly

Drives: 96 Eldorado
Here it is fellow Z/28 lovers! Just got back from the NY City Auto Show where I drooled
over an orange SS, silver SS and an LT1 in the new green. If you haven't seen the green
in person, DO SO! It's awesome! OK, now the news. I enjoyed talking to one of the GM
staff for about 15 minutes about the "Upcoming Z/28". That's right, it's a done deal. It
is on its way. Powered by the 556 hp LSA engine. He said it will be priced slightly under
the Shelby GT500 base price for obvious reasons. It should be at next years show, along
with the convertible, as a late arrival 2011 model. I had to change my gotchies after
hearing that news. It made the whole show worth going to. If any of you went to the
show you may have seen me and a few of my buddies walking around wearing t-shirts
we had specially made that said "Horsepower NOT Hybrids" printed on them.
wirewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewilly View Post
Here it is fellow Z/28 lovers! Just got back from the NY City Auto Show where I drooled
over an orange SS, silver SS and an LT1 in the new green. If you haven't seen the green
in person, DO SO! It's awesome! OK, now the news. I enjoyed talking to one of the GM
staff for about 15 minutes about the "Upcoming Z/28". That's right, it's a done deal. It
is on its way. Powered by the 556 hp LSA engine. He said it will be priced slightly under
the Shelby GT500 base price for obvious reasons. It should be at next years show, along
with the convertible, as a late arrival 2011 model. I had to change my gotchies after
hearing that news. It made the whole show worth going to. If any of you went to the
show you may have seen me and a few of my buddies walking around wearing t-shirts
That is great news to hear. I hope the time line and engine choice is correct. This would give GM a year or so to get it dialed in and ready for the GT500. Is the base price of a GT500 around 50K?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
That is great news to hear. I hope the time line and engine choice is correct. This would give GM a year or so to get it dialed in and ready for the GT500. Is the base price of a GT500 around 50K?
Base MSRP for a 2011 GT500 is $48,645.

I'm interested to see what Ford does with the car for the 2012 model year. Knowing that there will be a 2012 Camaro Z28 (45th anniversary car, by the way) offered, I wonder what SVT has up their sleeve? Knowing that the Z28 is getting the 556hp/551tq LSA gives the blue oval a nice target. Of course, GM could always find a way to get more out of the LSA for the Z28 application and surprise everyone.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Interesting...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Base MSRP for a 2011 GT500 is $48,645.

I'm interested to see what Ford does with the car for the 2012 model year. Knowing that there will be a 2012 Camaro Z28 (45th anniversary car, by the way) offered, I wonder what SVT has up their sleeve? Knowing that the Z28 is getting the 556hp/551tq LSA gives the blue oval a nice target. Of course, GM could always find a way to get more out of the LSA for the Z28 application and surprise everyone.
Ford's next step will be to make the TVS blower and CAI standard. They offer it now as a package that does not void you warranty. With the TVS and CAI they rate the GT500 at 605hp. But with the package most owners are seeing 570-585rwhp.

Edit: lol I didn't realize who I was talking to when I quoted you. Obviously I don't have to tell you about GT500s.

Last edited by Sax1031; 04-04-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewilly View Post
That's an awesome news. Thanks for pressing the rep to get some answer.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Why speculate? http://www.chevroletreports.com/blog...ro-z28-is-a-go
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
All that was confirmed was this:

General Motors confirmed suspicions of the Camaro Z28 being built and sold sometime in late 2011

Everything else is still speculation and educated guesses. That article is 6 months old and there is a year and a half until the Z28 arrives, unless it gets cancelled again. A lot can change from what we think we know.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote