Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
RX all the way
THX

Last edited by Crazyhorse6901; 06-08-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver bully View Post
Hey everyone i have about 38000 miles on my camaro and was wondering if it's even worth it to put a catch can on. I'm sure my valves are coated with a bunch of gunk by now lol
lol as tracy has mentioned upper induction cleaning to clean off the junk in there but i think its worth it in your case
Old 06-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Anyone knows how can that be cleaned off?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Here was my intake when I took it off a few years ago before the can and blower.

Name:  100_1958.JPG
Views: 1413
Size:  134.0 KB
Old 06-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Silver bully

Drives: 2011 Silver 2Lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
lol as tracy has mentioned upper induction cleaning to clean off the junk in there but i think its worth it in your case
Ok thanks i missed that part of the thread sorry I'm still a noob here lol
Silver bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Every car on the road does this. It's a side-effect of a PCV system that is operating normally. If the induction system isn't cleaned as a part of regular maintenance (every 15k miles, or so), you have a potential for a loss of performance, and even drivability issues. A good cleaning product runs around $10-$15 a can.

So what gain is there with the catch can? You're still losing oil to the can that will never be reused in the engine. They cost $100 - $200. What is the gain?

This isn't cost-effective. The gain, in my opinion, is equivilent to putting clothespins on your fuel lines to get better MPG. Yeah, some folks believe that works, too.

Snake oil...that's all it is. Flame away.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Every car on the road does this. It's a side-effect of a PCV system that is operating normally. If the induction system isn't cleaned as a part of regular maintenance (every 15k miles, or so), you have a potential for a loss of performance, and even drivability issues. A good cleaning product runs around $10-$15 a can.

So what gain is there with the catch can? You're still losing oil to the can that will never be reused in the engine. They cost $100 - $200. What is the gain?

This isn't cost-effective. The gain, in my opinion, is equivilent to putting clothespins on your fuel lines to get better MPG. Yeah, some folks believe that works, too.

LOL! Then why are the pictures posted of comparisons over extend miles show the good ones eliminate this issue? Or is it more cost effective in your opinion to pay $140-450 every 12-15k miles have the dealer do upper induction cleaning and still have the issue? The fuel savings alone pays for a good can in a year or less depending on the miles driven. The average improvement in fuel economy is 1-3 mpg....that adds up fast.

Explain in detail and if you can, list your qualifications and traing that lead you to believe this.

Also for those really concerned, most cans do little more than catch a portion of the oil....only a handfull actually trap most or all of the oil preventing this.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
LOL! Then why are the pictures posted of comparisons over extend miles show the good ones eliminate this issue? Or is it more cost effective in your opinion to pay $140-450 every 12-15k miles have the dealer do upper induction cleaning and still have the issue? The fuel savings alone pays for a good can in a year or less depending on the miles driven. The average improvement in fuel economy is 1-3 mpg....that adds up fast.

Explain in detail and if you can, list your qualifications and traing that lead you to believe this.

Also for those really concerned, most cans do little more than catch a portion of the oil....only a handfull actually trap most or all of the oil preventing this.
Firstly, my qualifications:

1. Associates degree in automotive technology
2. ASE Master Certification in A1-A8, plus L1
3. Ford Senior Master-Certified technician, the third tech in the nation to achieve this
4. 18 years as a professional drivability, engine, and electrical technician
5. Former drag and dirt track racer

Yeah, I'm qualified.

You can get a can of BG induction cleaner for $15. Anyone can learn how to apply the cleaner using nothing but a plain old vacuum hose. The results are 100% effective (no, I don't sell the stuff, and have nothing to gain by promoting it). If used every 15k miles, the throttle body, intake, valves, and even the tops of the pistons will be restored to like-new condition.

That said, over the course of 100,000 miles of driving, one would spend $100 to do what an expensive catch can does. Add to the fact that you are required to drain the can every few thousand miles, it makes the can method a less desireable option. As for your claim of MPG increase, there may be some fact there, but it's minimal at best.

Now, if someone wants to put something pretty under their hood, that's a different argument. But for those that have become unnecessarily paranoid about something that is completely normal, that's what a snake-oil saleman does: creates a need when there isn't one.

No personal offense intended. I'm just here to make sure that all the facts are laid out for other people's benefit. I read far to many false claims on this site, and because of my technical background and knowledge, I share what I know.

Last edited by strych9; 06-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I'm at 36k miles...I've been wanting to do this, but keep putting it off. :/
Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #24
Camaro588

Drives: 2012 camaro LS
Quote:

3. Ford Senior Master-Certified technician, the third tech in the nation to achieve this

Yeah, I'm qualified.

You can get a can of BG induction cleaner for $15. Anyone can learn how to apply the cleaner using nothing but a plain old vacuum hose. The results are 100% effective (no, I don't sell the stuff, and have nothing to gain by promoting it). If used every 15k miles, the throttle body, intake, valves, and even the tops of the pistons will be restored to like-new condition.

That said, over the course of 100,000 miles of driving, one would spend $100 to do what an expensive catch can does. Add to the fact that you are required to drain the can every few thousand miles, it makes the can method a less desireable option. As for your claim of MPG increase, there may be some fact there, but it's minimal at best.

Now, if someone wants to put something pretty under their hood, that's a different argument. But for those that have become unnecessarily paranoid about something that is completely normal, that's what a snake-oil saleman does: creates a need when there isn't one.

No personal offense intended. I'm just here to make sure that all the facts are laid out for other people's benefit. I read far to many false claims on this site, and because of my technical background and knowledge, I share what I know.
a slow clap....leading to a fast and loud clap! LOL! well played sir!
Camaro588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:

Yeah, I'm qualified.

I don't know what your seeing but many others and I on here have done before and after. I have done it on both my cars and my can catch's the oil and my IM stays clean. Why pay anything every few miles when you can avoid it all by buying a good catch can? Yes your qualified I guess, but your argument misses the point of the thread. Which is to avoid the oil not clean it up every few miles
Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
bluecam805
Team LFX

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:

Yeah, I'm qualified.

good stuff

strych9 so not adding a catch can will be fine if you keep maintainence every 15k with the cleaning?
but having a catch can, would it be less to clean? would the catch can help maintain the intake cleanER?
and final Q' not having a catch can at all.. does this damage anything else thats not be apart of the intake ?
bluecam805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #27
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
LOL, well as you can tell dealership tech why buy a catch can when you can sell a service and smoke up the whole neighbor hood doing the induction service. Me personally I would rather the oil not be there to have to clean.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Quote:

I'm gonna have to call bullshit here. I have had a catch can since day 1 pretty much and this is what the inside of my motor looks like after 21000 hard supercharged miles. I often empty my can and i never got a pic of the valves but they were just as clean. Sure seems like a waste...

Im also a Subaru certified master technician, GM Master tech, and have my ASE's and built a mid 9 second 92 camaro with my dad on an all motor SBC. I have used BG products and they work OK at best.

I personally dont like using the stuff as it seems like a waste to me and I honestly have never seen any real gain to using it. If anything BG is snake oil. But thats just my 02. I have used enough bg to turn the BG chips in once a month to make about 60 bucks at the end of the month. My dealer sells the hell out of it.