Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
HaulnJ

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 GFX Heritage grill
TUNE?

I see posts talking about new tunes when long tube headers and other mods are done. Who supplies the software? Can it be done plug and play or is it something that has to be taken in and run on a dyno?
HaulnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Drives: MOTL3Y
I can get this started by saying you can do either, plug and play, or dyno tune. I'm not much help other than that, though. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Jason P

Drives: 2011 2ss
Call Janetty Racing. They will have everything you need, and have great service.
2011 2ss Ram twin plate ceramic clutch, Texas speed 418 LS3 235 /243 .621 / .624 cam, ported and polished heads with dual springs,magnum push rods, Hotchkis race pack, Stainless Power long tube headers with no cats, Magna Flo competition exhaust, lpe fuel pump, magnuson supercharger with overdrive and port matched blower plate, IW 8 rib pullies, AEM meth kit, id 850 injectors, 3 bar map, halltech cai, zl1 rear diff
Jason P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
PatsSS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to PatsSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
Call Janetty Racing. They will have everything you need, and have great service.

THIS! I got the Jannetty 415 street package today. Headers,CAI and tune/tuner. All shipped to your door(not sure about AK?). Then follow instructions and receive new tune via e-mail. Super simple, super awesome!
PatsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulnJ View Post
I see posts talking about new tunes when long tube headers and other mods are done. Who supplies the software? Can it be done plug and play or is it something that has to be taken in and run on a dyno?
Although it is somewhat debatable (what isn't around here....lol), I think you will find in your research that a dyno tune is the "best", given a good tuner, because it's truly a custom tune for YOUR car. Having said that, I am getting a "remote" or "e-mail" tune from Jannetty Racing. He is one of the top tuners out there for the 5th gens. I haven't seen a bad comment about his tunes. Do some searches around here.

The reason I am going this route is because I want to hold on to my stock tune, I want the capability of using the tool to monitor the car if I want/need to, and I want to be able to restore my stock tune if I have to. If you get a dyno tune, you either have to go back to them to get your stock tune or, you have to buy the handheld tuner that corresponds to the tuning equipment that was used to tune your car - and that is not always available either; it just depends on the tuner. For me, it's a matter of convenience and control. I will gladly give up a couple of HP on a dyno for that.

As for the equipment to accomplish the "remote" or "mail order" tune, there are various manufacturers such as Diablosport, EFI Live, and SCT. They all connect to the ODB-II port under your dash and allow you to copy your stock tune, save it, and upload your new tune. Each one does that a little differently. They also have some monitoring and code reading/clearing capabilities.

Last, and certainly another oft-debated topic is your warranty. When you install a tune, you need to assume you powertrain warranty is voided. Whether is actually is or not depends on how friendly your dealer is towards mods and how much they are willing to help. If your problem has nothing to with your mod and your dealer will support that to GM, you are ok. If you dealer is not sympathetic to mods/tunes, it will most likely be a losing battle.

Just remember that you gotta pay to play.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
The reason I am going this route is because I want to hold on to my stock tune, I want the capability of using the tool to monitor the car if I want/need to, and I want to be able to restore my stock tune if I have to. If you get a dyno tune, you either have to go back to them to get your stock tune or, you have to buy the handheld tuner that corresponds to the tuning equipment that was used to tune your car - and that is not always available either; it just depends on the tuner. For me, it's a matter of convenience and control. I will gladly give up a couple of HP on a dyno for that.
The other thing I want to add to is that some dyno tuners have the ability to lock up your tune. So if you ever wanted to go to have another tune done, you would need to bring it back to them or find a way to get the tune unlocked to have a different tuner dyno the car. Probably in the next month I will be going the SCT route with JRE as my nearest dyno shop is about 2 hours away.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote