Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
Turn by Turn Directions

Soooo I never used the turn by turn directions the past 4 months I have owned my Camaro. Well yesterday I heard that this restaurant had really good pizza. So I took a lil road trip with my mom and we went out for pizza last nite. I asked onstar for directions out to the restaurant since it was in the chain of lakes in waupaca they couldn't give me directions at all. So I leave the restaurant last nite and we ended up taking another route to get back. Next thing I know is I'm drivin down a highway 22 for about 10 miles and I'm lost out in the boonies. So I called up onstar can I get directions back to Highway 10 what city does the highway start They were giving me directions and I was turning into more side roads. Eventually I said screw it and drove back the opposite direction and found myself back but I only took about a 20 mintue detour route a wrong way. The question is what happens if you ever roll your car or having medical issues can onstar really track you out in the boonies.
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '05 Impala, '10 IOM Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to camaroluver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stacy~ View Post
Soooo I never used the turn by turn directions the past 4 months I have owned my Camaro. Well yesterday I heard that this restaurant had really good pizza. So I took a lil road trip with my mom and we went out for pizza last nite. I asked onstar for directions out to the restaurant since it was in the chain of lakes in waupaca they couldn't give me directions at all. So I leave the restaurant last nite and we ended up taking another route to get back. Next thing I know is I'm drivin down a highway 22 for about 10 miles and I'm lost out in the boonies. So I called up onstar can I get directions back to Highway 10 what city does the highway start They were giving me directions and I was turning into more side roads. Eventually I said screw it and drove back the opposite direction and found myself back but I only took about a 20 mintue detour route a wrong way. The question is what happens if you ever roll your car or having medical issues can onstar really track you out in the boonies.
Good question!! I have used it a number of times just to get some use out of the free yr of Onstar. All but one time it got me to the place I was going. The other was actually my husband driving trying to find our hotel after a concert in Tampa. Gave them the exact address of the hotel which ended up being only a few miles from the place the concert was, HOWEVER Onstar took us to an empty lot in the Port of Tampa.....Clearly the opposite direction of where we were trying to go!!
2010 Camaro 2SS IOM/Black Interior/Black Hood & Hockey Stripes #26,805
Ordered 1/30/09 as a surprise for me by the best husband ever! Delivered 8/6/09 to me!!!

camaroluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
iphone ftw!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
That is so funny! Sorry they sent you on a goose chase, but I love the turn by turn directions I cant look at my Iphone and drive LOL. The one thing about the Point I did find amusing is my sister lives on Indiana and On star gets me to the Airport exit and tells me to turn left (which is correct) but then it comes on and says no other information is available LOL glad I know where she lives.

I think On star may need some help up north........
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I've used it many many times with absolutely 0 problems, its been dead on every time.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
~Stacy~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I've used it many many times with absolutely 0 problems, its been dead on every time.
You must not live out in the boonies
Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
~Stacy~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange5thGen View Post
That is so funny! Sorry they sent you on a goose chase, but I love the turn by turn directions I cant look at my Iphone and drive LOL. The one thing about the Point I did find amusing is my sister lives on Indiana and On star gets me to the Airport exit and tells me to turn left (which is correct) but then it comes on and says no other information is available LOL glad I know where she lives.

I think I will continue to use good old MapQuest. I took a 10 hour road trip a few years ago to go visit some car buddies in Sterling Heights, MI and it got me there to the exact location.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Buckbo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I may be old fashioned but I still carry an atlas in the car if I need directions and never had a problem.
Buckbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stacy~ View Post
I think I will continue to use good old MapQuest. I took a 10 hour road trip a few years ago to go visit some car buddies in Sterling Heights, MI and it got me there to the exact location.

Mapquest has a function to send to onstar so in theory it should be the same instructions - it's pretty neat, I tend to use it most the time so I don't need to speak to anyone from onstar
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
~Stacy~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange5thGen View Post

Stevens Point doesn't have a airport just for cropdusters I don't call it a Airport mabye because I always fly out of Milwaukee now that's a REAL airport
Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
lol.......a few corp jets......
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
AQUA2LT

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Going to camaro5 fest my tom tom took me into fl.,called onstar when i hit ga.They got me right to the hotel.If i went off track they called and ask if i want new direction. i thought it worked great.
AQUA2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
My $180.00 Tom Tom Go works flawlessly. I tried the free Onstar and it responded to a wrong turn much slower that my trusty Tom Tom.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
Joemaro

Drives: 2SS/RS
Use my daily, works perfect every time. Once in a while you may get a bonehead operator... but at least they don't outsource them to India!!!
Joemaro is offline   Reply With Quote