Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
SSideways

Drives: 99 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If I remember the way it works on the Cobalt SS, you can hold the gas to the floor in every gear without letting up to shift. When you stomp the clutch, it holds the revs right where they are when you stomp the clutch for a second or two while you shift.

Without it, you'd either bounce the rev limiter, or as 1973z-man said, carry your crankshaft as you walk home.
I just finished reading the new car and driver. This is exactly how they described the "no lift shift" feature. As for the launch control on the manual... "The engine computer limits revs and fiesses the throttle for traction after the clutch dump."
SSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
It's been my experience in manuals to launch at about 2500 rpm and then dump the clutch. After alot of runs in the Acura, that was about the best engine speed I found to launch from. Of course, it will vary somewhat from car to car, but yes, launching from redline is a disaster waiting to happen.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #17
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
It's been my experience in manuals to launch at about 2500 rpm and then dump the clutch. After alot of runs in the Acura, that was about the best engine speed I found to launch from. Of course, it will vary somewhat from car to car, but yes, launching from redline is a disaster waiting to happen.
if your drivetrain can handle it then you can do it. seen a lot of racers around here launch at that high and some built up the drivetrain some didn't. the one's that didn't blew something up. lol.

my experience with the camaro 3200-3500 was pretty good and not dumping the clutch but quickly and smoothly releasing it. . .but it's so fast that it almost feels like a dump.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #18
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
^ yea after i did all my mods to my 2002 SS i was launching at 4000 rpm, i was prolly pushing that weak little 10 bolt to it max but i didnt have the car long enough to break, it. it was stolen in january and im building another garage for my baby.
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2camaross View Post
^ yea after i did all my mods to my 2002 SS i was launching at 4000 rpm, i was prolly pushing that weak little 10 bolt to it max but i didnt have the car long enough to break, it. it was stolen in january and im building another garage for my baby.
there was a guy here that put hoosier slicks on his 10 bolt and was saying he was going to drop the clutch at 5000 rpms. he also had cam+tune and bolt ons. he was lucky nothing happened to his rear end.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I think it does what most you say, limit the revs after the launch so there is minimal wheelspin. OR I think it realizes when you are holding the clutch and have it sitting in 1st, when you rev it, it wont go past a certain rpm. I think it is the first idea though.

Launch control would have been great on the vette's because my last time at the drag strip, a guy with a spankin new LS3 with the paper dealer tag still on it was there and almost lost to a new tundra(had a 100 shot) because he dumped the clutch so hard he spun and barely moved till he shifted to 2nd by the light tree. Some people need these nannies because they get too excited or something. I would like it to help me get better at launching until I can do it as good as the comp can.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #21
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
there was a guy here that put hoosier slicks on his 10 bolt and was saying he was going to drop the clutch at 5000 rpms. he also had cam+tune and bolt ons. he was lucky nothing happened to his rear end.
yea he would deffinetly be asking for it. i had a cam ls7 clutch and nitto drag radials and i was pushing it. I maiss that car sooo much
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpickering View Post
It is said that the SS Camaro with the Manual Transmission will have Launch Control. How will this work? Everything I've seen on launch control is targeted toward Automatics wth pattle Shifters. You put the car in launch mode rev the motor and let off the break. It turns town Traction Control put the computer to allow the car to max out RPM's before shifting and just optimizes the shift points. Well it can't do all this on a Manual because you control the shift points and you control the clutch so what do they mean the SS Manual will have launch control?
You are badly misinformed. Launch control works in manual transmissions only. You simply select it (in the Cobolt SS and HHR SS) by hitting the traction control button twice, once to turn off the tracton control and the second time to turn on launch control. When you put it in 1st gear while holding the clutch in, you floor it and the RPM will stay right at the redline. When u release the clutch you take off perfectly. It takes all the guess work out of getting a perfect launch hence launch control and im almost positive no automatic cars have it but i could be wrong.
ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #23
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
You are badly misinformed. Launch control works in manual transmissions only.
Not necessarily true. Maybe the Cobalt's "Launch Control" feature works like that, though it doesn't sound like it'd make a perfect launch at all; it sounds like all you'd do is burn off your tires. Anyway, without it, a modern car isn't going to go past redline anyway, but it might do a more sudden fuel cut resulting in "bouncing off the rev limiter" rather than smoothly holding redline.

The VW GTI with their DSG dual-clutch automated manual transmission (they don't offer a traditional "slushbox" automatic) has a "Launch Control" feature that allows the driver to launch like a high-RPM clutch dump even though there's no clutch pedal. That's what I thought of when I heard of "Launch Control" in the Camaro.

Who needs a computer to baby them for launching a manual transmission?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #24
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Gee, when I was young we didn't touch the clutch pedal when power shifting!!!

And By the way - It is "Pedal" not "Pettle"

And it is "Brake" not "Break".... You brake with your foot, you break when you wreck your car.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Gee, when I was young we didn't touch the clutch pedal when power shifting!!!

And By the way - It is "Pedal" not "Pettle"

And it is "Brake" not "Break".... You brake with your foot, you break when you wreck your car.
Actually for what he was trying to say it was paddle not pedal or pettle.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
yeah, give him a "break".

(I couldn't resist!)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #27
jdpickering
Razzi

Drives: 99 Monte Carlo Z34
Season 10 Episode 3 of Top Gear the tested a Ferrari 599 with F1-SuperFast paddle shifter with Launch control in which they put the car in first turned traction off held down the break and put in launch control. Rev'ed up the motor and let off the break. The launch control on Super Cars is all i've ever seen launch control on before. And it more or less optimized the shift points or allowed for higher RPM's before shifting.
jdpickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #28
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I think it is very cool that GM has included launch control on the Camaro. The great thing is you don't ever have to use it if you don't want to. Does launch control work, yep, pretty well.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote