Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #4663
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Swapped the new one in. Took about an hour and a half because I had to round the end of the pipe as it was oval-ish.

Like Savini wheels. lol

Attachment 486170
Nasty! Didn't know it got your tranny brace as well. I got one of those kicking around, I could have sent it to you.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #4664
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Nasty! Didn't know it got your tranny brace as well. I got one of those kicking around, I could have sent it to you.

Ah crap. Well Maureen sent me one. So I'm good.

Easy install too. Just had to back up on ramps for that one. I did it in ten minutes. lol
Old 03-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #4665
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Well, this IS Alabama. lol
Oh yeah good point!
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #4666
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i'm starting to feel your Savini pain...

these new tires on the truck have been vibrating something awful & i don't know what's going on. it can't be the wheels because my last set of tires was on them for over two years and i only balanced them once when i installed them - no vibration all the way up to 125mph (the fastest i've had it). when i originally got the new tires in Dec, they were fine but have slowly got worse as time went on & the chain i bought from don't have stores up here. i rebalanced them myself a couple days ago with no change. then i took them to a shop today. they were worse after i left, so i went back & they told me it must be the aftermarket wheels and gave me a refund & recommendation for another shop. took it there & left with them being only minimally better than the first shop. they said bring it back Monday & they'll have another tech redo it.

i just wanna drop-kick a baby right now!

but it could be worse... at least all my fingers are still intact
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #4667
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post

these new tires on the truck have been vibrating something awful & i don't know what's going on. it can't be the wheels because my last set of tires was on them for over two years and i only balanced them once when i installed them - no vibration all the way up to 125mph (the fastest i've had it). when i originally got the new tires in Dec, they were fine but have slowly got worse as time went on & the chain i bought from don't have stores up here. i rebalanced them myself a couple days ago with no change. then i took them to a shop today. they were worse after i left, so i went back & they told me it must be the aftermarket wheels and gave me a refund & recommendation for another shop. took it there & left with them being only minimally better than the first shop. they said bring it back Monday & they'll have another tech redo it.

Sounds like a tire went bad or a wheel was knocked out of round. Any of the shops have a road force machine?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #4668
zebra
just can't seem to leave

i know i saw the machines in a couple places, but i ain't sure if the road force measurement was actually used or not. i know the one i used was not.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:26 AM   #4669
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Sounds like a tire went bad or a wheel was knocked out of round. Any of the shops have a road force machine?
Spin them up on the balancer and watch the tread closely. Balancing is not going to fix but I bet a new tire or tires will....
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #4670
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #4671
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
i know i saw the machines in a couple places, but i ain't sure if the road force measurement was actually used or not. i know the one i used was not.
Get a RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Spin them up on the balancer and watch the tread closely. Balancing is not going to fix but I bet a new tire or tires will....
You have to have a good eye for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KE View Post
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #4672
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:

You are on a path to a painful finger. Resistance is futile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I made a video of my Savinis spinning with a box under them to show the bounce from the tread. But I can't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KE View Post
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #4673
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Hoppy Easter, PQ!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #4674
PQ
Booooosted.

Thanks T. You too.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #4675
zebra
just can't seem to leave

so i'm driving home today & as my teeth are about to rattle out, i hear a clunk/thud-type sound followed by the most terrible racket & shaking ever. i thought "oh great, the tread's separated" as i notice something bouncing behind me through the warbled image in my side mirror.

i pull over to the side of the road to inspect... all tires look fine. next i crawled under to check & the left rear ain't got no weights. that'd explain the bouncing object (or so it'd seem), so i got back in & crawled to the next exit to pull into a parking lot & further inspect when lo & behold as i'm sitting at the light slowly letting the clutch out, another clunk happens, but this time the truck don't move. now to get out in the middle of the road and crawl under the truck, i see my driveshaft laying on the ground in front the diff... both caps from the diff end gone with the clamps still in place & some serious gouge marks.

being somewhat mechanically-minded, i thought for a second & put the shaft in the bed then used my second floor shifter to create the only front-wheel-drive truck in town and putted home down the back roads.

now what would cause a new (replaced last Jan) u-joint to separate like that? it moved freely by hand & had plenty of grease where the caps used to be.
...or do you think it might be in the diff? it rolled home relatively smooth.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #4676
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
so i'm driving home today & as my teeth are about to rattle out, i hear a clunk/thud-type sound followed by the most terrible racket & shaking ever. i thought "oh great, the tread's separated" as i notice something bouncing behind me through the warbled image in my side mirror.

i pull over to the side of the road to inspect... all tires look fine. next i crawled under to check & the left rear ain't got no weights. that'd explain the bouncing object (or so it'd seem), so i got back in & crawled to the next exit to pull into a parking lot & further inspect when lo & behold as i'm sitting at the light slowly letting the clutch out, another clunk happens, but this time the truck don't move. now to get out in the middle of the road and crawl under the truck, i see my driveshaft laying on the ground in front the diff... both caps from the diff end gone with the clamps still in place & some serious gouge marks.

being somewhat mechanically-minded, i thought for a second & put the shaft in the bed then used my second floor shifter to create the only front-wheel-drive truck in town and putted home down the back roads.

now what would cause a new (replaced last Jan) u-joint to separate like that? it moved freely by hand & had plenty of grease where the caps used to be.
...or do you think it might be in the diff? it rolled home relatively smooth.
Manufacturing defect? My center bearing did it from the factory. Was it easily more smooth? Sounds like it's no coincidence.

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle