Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
TIGG502

Drives: 2011 2ss L99
I'm considering trading the camaro

So I've been thinking about trading in my 2011 camaro 2ss for a newer camaro with a manual transmission. I love my car, but sometimes i wish it was a stick, and then again I'm glad its a auto because of the shifting all the time. Anyway i was wondering if anyone had done this before, and they ether regret it or glad they made that choice.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
keep yours and get a manual...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
mines a stick but i don't drive it everyday, the 97 ss i had was my everyday car and while it was fun to drive, clutching in traffic was horrible
Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Enduring

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
Have you driven a manual in the city before?

I didn't go from a automatic Camaro to a manual but I did upgrade from a different automatic car to a manual Camaro. This is my first manual I have owned (I have been driving manual vehicles all my life though) and the first manual that I have driven in the city. Once you get used to driving a manual in the city it really isn't all that much worse than an automatic. However, this car is far from forgiving as far as manual transmissions go, but I'm used to driving manual trucks not cars (3 tons and older 1/2 tons). I find if I pop the clutch out too fast and I'm only 200 or so RPM off what it should be at the car will jerk quite a lot. You will need to learn how to rev match if you don't already know how.

That being said, I love the manual and I don't regret my decision one bit, even though this car sees almost all city miles.
Enduring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
waited this long might as well wait till the 2016 comes out, that way if you decide you don't want a 2016 you could get a killer deal on a 2015. at least that is my thought

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I went from a triple black vert 2ss/rs l99 to a CRT coupe 2013 and loved the upgrades of the fe4 suspension, having A MANUAL, a sun roof, the color I wanted, dual power seats and a back up camera with mylink and having the dual mode exhaust and heritage grill. I got what I wanted and it had more little upgrades like electric power steering and the rear view mirror etc.... And do not regret it as I got what I wanted when I bought what was the best on the lot the first time. What I regret is buying the first one... I did not want to mod it, its like I just knew it was a auto with a convertible and the black was hard to keep clean, the top I treated with water repellant and I work outdoors anyway, and it was nice but felt slower than the manual considerably and less fun to drive and I did not want to void the warranty on a car I did not really want to keep.....Sure I envisioned red stripes, ditching the afm etc etc and it was just going to cost money and I wanted a zl1 CRT, but decided I would be getting a manual and being happy with a ls3 car with the options I wanted. And I am happy, I have 500 rwhp now thanks to a vmax yesterday, and more with a UDP fluidampr next month, and it feels and drives like a million bucks, and cannot wait to get 3.91's next years with a eaton posi to go with my other suspension mods I have and have parts waiting to put on for.

Sure I look at things and think ohh would a Hellcat be nice or a 2016 SVT stang, but hey reality is when your so vested in car trading up does not make sense, it makes more sense to keep it and never trade off. Mine is my daily driver.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGG502 View Post
So I've been thinking about trading in my 2011 camaro 2ss for a newer camaro with a manual transmission. I love my car, but sometimes i wish it was a stick, and then again I'm glad its a auto because of the shifting all the time. Anyway i was wondering if anyone had done this before, and they ether regret it or glad they made that choice.

I hear a lot of this "shifting all the time". I also hear "having to press the clutch all the time".

You hardly shift "all the time". And pushing in a clutch is no harder than using the brakes or gas.

Every single one of my cars that has not been a manual, including the classic car I have owned since 1989, has caused me to regret the car NOT being a manual.

It is no hassle to drive a stick in bumper to bumper traffic if you know what you're doing. Somebody will chime in with a story to refute that, and my answer will be "sorry but you aren't driving the car correctly".
Old 07-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
as long as you're not in a lot of traffic a manual is more fun.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
PDP_SS

Drives: 2013 SS
After about a month you honestly don't even know your doin it have the time...... I feel weird driving auto now

455RWHP
PDP_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
waited this long might as well wait till the 2016 comes out, that way if you decide you don't want a 2016 you could get a killer deal on a 2015. at least that is my thought
This is the BEST advice you will get! I strongly suggest you take it. Meanwhile, find someone with (or rent) a stick, learn to drive it properly, and see how it works for you. Don't rush into something you're having doubts about.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
My take is you have to ask yourself if you want to drive the car or do you want the car to drive you. For me it depends on the vehicle. Now, in my wife's minivan I want an automatic because frankly I don't want to even drive that thing. However, in a car like the Camaro where one gets excited to drive having a manual makes it even more enjoyable. Sure, sometimes when traffic has sucked all the fun out of driving I might say an automatic would be a little less work but it is not annoying enough to make the change. As others said it starts to become 2nd nature and with all the hand-free technology it is fine.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
Dano

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
I just traded my 2010 2SS/RS Auto for a 2014 2SS/RS manual last night... I love it and glad I did it. I've missed having a manual.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
I went from an auto to a manual and love it much more! The clutch and shifting is so easy I don't even think about it anymore! Even if I ever went back to a V6 I'd go for a manual! I was also worried about traffic but I got mine in a city area and was in almost dead stop bumper to bumper traffic for about 30 minutes and no problem what so ever!

Even if you've drove manual before it takes time to get fully used to a different vehicle and it's clutch engagement and shifting but every manual V8 Camaro I've driven (every year) has shifted perfectly, easily, and flawless. I read some posts on here about 2nd gear grind or something, but never once have I heard a gear grind in a Camaro. My manual SS is so much fun to drive and I've said before I'm not the type of person to just go drive for no reason but I went out one day in it just to drive and put 200 miles on it in one day! lol... Go manual, you wont regret it! Like someone said, after you get used to it, you don't even think about it anymore. It's no hassle what so ever.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #14
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
what's funny is when i have'nt driven my old car with alot stiffer clutch in a while, it takes a few minutes to get the groove back on it