Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Scrming's Rx Catch Can install & review

Tracy (SC2150) asked me to install and review their Rx Catch Can. Tracy knows and appreciates the fact that I call them like I see them... That I certainly don't sugar coat anything... So with that in mind he sent me up one of their Catch Can's to evaluate...

First though, I thought I would share a little back ground. It appears our LLT's do ingest a lot of oil. I'm not going to debate whether it's a bad thing or not. That can be debated else where. The fact is the LLT sucks oil. Here is what I found when I removed my throttle body:

Backside of my TB:

Oil inside the manifold:

And finally I did the finger tip dip in the sump area right inside the manifold:

So regardless whether you believe oil ingestion is harmful or not, it is clear that the LLT sure does a lot of it! As I said we can debate the effect of oil ingestion elsewhere... This thread is focused on the Rx Catch Can... product quality, installation and does it do what it says it does? Namely preventing oil from being drawn into the manifold.

Here is the Rx Catch Can.

It arrived in a well packaged box. Can was actually in a protective plastic bag. Impressed with construction of the can itself.

On to the install. I quickly reviewed the installation guide. I realize that this is a very very simple install. But I feel there were a couple little areas that could have used a picture or two to better illustrate things.

The one area, that bit me and it was my fault was turning the fittings so they clear the engine cover. The guide showed the fittings turned and the hoses run properly... However, I overlooked the importance of having the fittings turned to avoid the engine cover and as a result installed the hoses incorrectly:

INCORRECT:

CORRECT:

So yes, I goofed! I cut the hose to the center fitting to short and was unable to turn the fitting... I realized this when I went to put then engine cover on. So yes, a warning about fitting orientation may be required to save idiots like me from ourselves!

The other issue I ran into was the bracket. So after I fixed my self-induced problem with the fittings orientation, i found the Catch Can itself was preventing my engine cover from fully seating on the mounting stud:

I did talk to Tracy about this. He explained the that bracket was being revised and that mine was not a production version.. that the mounting holes were off on mine... So he is aware of this issue and is actively addressing it. If I misunderstood anything, I'm sure Tracy can correct me or explain further.

So I quickly made another bracket.. not ideal but got the job done... So here is a couple pics:

From an appearance aspect, I really like it! It fits in the area nicely! That is a big open area and the Rx Can doesn't look out of place or over crowds the area.

As for performance... does it do, what it claims to? I've only had the Catch Can installed for a couple of days.. I've been driving the car pretty hard... no dyno or race track, but still some spirited driving. Now I haven't pulled the throttle body off yet but I did pull the hoses off today. The hosed from the valve cover does have some oil in it while the hose from the Catch Can to intake manifold was clean. Also I did check the end of the PCV hose, the one that plugs into the manifold. It was literally dripping with oil the other day. I cleaned it off right before I installed the RX Catch Can and it is still clean! So while it's still early, it appears the Catch Can is doing what it claims to do!

I have provided some of this feedback to Tracy and he has been very receptive to my suggestions. That to me speak volumes about his business ethics and character!

I will update this thread after I get some more miles on the Catch Can...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Yeah, thats one of the reasons I bought the RX catch can, can't wait for it to arrive. The placement feels perfect in our engine bay.

Awesome pics Scrming! =D
Old 11-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Interesting. Nice write up. Since all here so far have the Injen intake, have you all noticed oil in the line that hooks up to the elbow just before the throttle body. I have on mine. I like this set up though.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Interesting. Nice write up. Since all here so far have the Injen intake, have you all noticed oil in the line that hooks up to the elbow just before the throttle body. I have on mine. I like this set up though.
Yes, I am pulling oil through the driver's side PCV into the Injen... I had one of the early Injens with the oil diffuser. I had the day off of work the other day so I replaced the oil diffuser with a DIY Catch Can...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112152

seems to work ok, for now... LOL
Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
It's a good quality product, I got the matte black, looks like it belongs there.
I don't run a cover so I routed mine without concern.

I have a couple hundred miles with it and my injen is dry as a bone.
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The breathered oil fill cap eliminates that issue but is NOT emmissions legal. But works great for off-road use.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Good write up scrming!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Thanks all!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
I'm going to update my thread after reading this. I've had my RX catch can on for awhile, with several very spirited runs on it. Like scrming, my TB was dirty on both sides, since my install, not a drop of oil anywhere but in the can!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
So...is the revised bracket available now? I need to yell my wife what to order me for Christmas...and you know if I'm not VERY explicit .........
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Good report Srming. Just like the LS1's.Those engines had the worst pcv system and the throttle body and intake looked the same. I ended using a truck pcv valve and went vertical intead of horizontal as from the factory.That and 0-30 German Castrol synthtic cut the oil use from 1 qt in 2400 miles to 1 qt in 3700 miles! Also can cause pinging with that much going into the cumbustion chamber. I wonder what it may do on these octane sensitive engines?
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
KFH
1SS Victory Red Manual

Drives: 2010 1SS 6 Speed Manual
Has the installation of the catch can reduced the amount of black crap on the exhaust tips?
On my car there's so much, I have to wipe them off everyday.

1st Camaro - 77 Type LT Rally Sport, 3 Speed Manual, Inline 6 2nd - 94 Z28, 6 Speed Manual LT1 V8
3rd - 2010 1LT, 6 Speed Manual LLT V6 4th - 2010 1SS, 6 Speed Manual LS3 V8, RX Catch Can, Holley iNTECH CAI, Flowmaster Force II Exhaust
KFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFH View Post
Has the installation of the catch can reduced the amount of black crap on the exhaust tips?
On my car there's so much, I have to wipe them off everyday.
Most of that is probably the result of incomplete combustion of fuel. These things run pig rich! I've had a catch can for a while and never had oil coming from the driver's side but I have to clean tips everyday, too.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Oh hey Scrming, forgot to ask. When you took off your TB and checked for oil, did you clean it off? If so, how did you do it? you think a cloth will do the trick? I think my Catch Can will be here next week, so lemme know =D

I've seen those spray cleaners too... but if a good wipe down is all it takes, i can save a few extra coins.