Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #29
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
The answer is chrome wheels. My polished wheels were always dirty but now with my
factory chromed wheels the brake dust just doesn't stick to them.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #30
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho View Post
CTSV pads are similar.. Ceramic will have less dust. The dust you see is the pad that the rotor is chewing off. With ceramic pads you don't have the dust as the pad is chewing off the rotor instead. Which do you want no dust or new rotors every time you do a brake job your choice... seriously.... Thats why I ordered back wheels.

You have to replace the rotors anyway on these, they are non-servicable
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #31
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
You bought a race car that is set up for racing...This is an expected effect of the brakes. If you switch out to dustless pads don't expect them to work on any kind of track very well.
Exactly!

I remember a bunch of guys on the C5 Z06 boards whining about their brake pads dusting "too much".

Hawk Pads seem to work well, don't dust nearly as much, and have a great reputation, but they won't perform quite as well as the stockers for "serious" use......at least they didn't on the C5 Z06's.

if it really bothers you that much, go for ceramics but don't be surprised if they don't quite perform as well. I considered the Hawks on my Z06, but finally went with the originals.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #32
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Drives me crazy as well and the polished wheels area PITA to clean. I started using the Armorall wheel protectant and hope that helps.

The Armorall works awesome, it reduced the amount of dust down to about 25% of what is left just rinses right off with the hose. I've got it on all three of my cars now ...
Old 06-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
Tally Ho

Drives: 2006 Corvette conv/2007 Avalanche
Hopefully GM Performance will release ceramic pads for the ZL1. I installed these on my 06 Vette right after I bought it because of the dust and squeal from the factory pads. I now have Hawk ceramics and they produce a little more dust than the GM ceramics but no where near as bad as the OEM pads.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #34
SSeemego

Drives: 2016 1SS Hyper Blue 6M MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
I noticed the dust big time with in the first 1000 miles. It is either not near as bad know, or I just got used to routine claning. I have about 1700 now.
Alex,
My experience is just the opposite. At 1500 miles the brake dust seem to increase, not sure why..

Previous car was the CTS V and brake dust was noticeable on the silver wheels, now with the ZL1 and black wheels not so much, however it does show up quite well on the Rally Yellow paint :(

Gary
SSeemego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #35
SSeemego

Drives: 2016 1SS Hyper Blue 6M MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by htg39 View Post
Computer problems...This may be a Duplicate.......but anyway the Brake Dust Produced on this ZL1 is really annoying........it would seem to me that they should have Metallic Brake Pads or an Option for them........which I believe 99% of the Buyers would Buy.
My problem is I also have a 2012 ZR1 and there isn't even a Trace........
Does anybody know if there are aftermarket Metallic Pads out there in the Market??????? Harvey
Harv,
I hope you find a different set of pads that meet your needs.

But if that fails you may have better luck with delivery of your next new car in a few months. Not sure what car that will be however if history is any guide the timing of that event should not be too far off

Gary
SSeemego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #36
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by htg39 View Post
Computer problems...This may be a Duplicate.......but anyway the Brake Dust Produced on this ZL1 is really annoying........it would seem to me that they should have Metallic Brake Pads or an Option for them........which I believe 99% of the Buyers would Buy.
My problem is I also have a 2012 ZR1 and there isn't even a Trace........
Does anybody know if there are aftermarket Metallic Pads out there in the Market??????? Harvey

There is a website out there that has Genuine Original Equipment Replacement Parts. They may have the brake pads that you are looking for. The website is www.gmpartsdirect.com/ . I hope this was helpful.

***DISCLAIMER: General Motors neither endorses nor maintains these sites and will not be responsible for any of its contents.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #37
Rubble2240

Drives: 13 BRM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolty View Post
Don't use the brakes.
Rubble2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #38
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
The armorall wheel protectant works pretty well for me, but my wheels are also gun metal. I noticed a lot less dust when I took the wheels off and applied the protectant on the front and back of the wheel. The dust just slides right off.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #39
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
What's the brake dust like on the stock wheels?
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #40
ZoomZoom
R6P Owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
What's the brake dust like on the stock wheels?
Will be changing mine to ceramic pronto. Armoral helps very little. Closing in on 2500 miles and this much dust has got to go! Changed them on my 08 Challenger and no more dust.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #41
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
A couple weeks ago my coworker told me he saw a silver ZL1 drivng down a major road, and he said the wheels looked different than my polished ones. I told him there were black stock ones and the polished ones I have, so unless he changed them I have the same wheels. He said they were shinier. I told him that mine were covered in brake dust and it makes them look gray.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #42
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
Will be changing mine to ceramic pronto. Armoral helps very little. Closing in on 2500 miles and this much dust has got to go! Changed them on my 08 Challenger and no more dust.
So it's still pretty noticeable despite the black wheels?
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote